General Question I need advice

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
I recently adopted my beefy girl. She is 3 years old and weighs at least 70 pounds I have polut her on a stricter food schedule and we go walking (just short walks) 2 times a day and she loves to chase the lazer light so we do that once a day for about 2 minutes at a time. Any advice on what I could do to help her get to a healthy weight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What worked for me, per vet recommendation, was to replace half her food with green beans. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] also had the same success with using half kibble and half Vegas stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We had to lessen my boys' food to trim them down. Bullies tend to beg, no matter what amount you give them, so the most difficult part may be how to not give in to their begging eyes. :yes:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas was a chunk muffin at 70 pounds. We really needed him to trim down, so we started him on the Vegas stew diet. We went from giving him 2 cups daily ( 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening) to giving him 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. We gave him as much of the stew as he wanted. The great thing about the stew is that it is a high fiber stew. It makes them feel full!! Vegas dropped the weight and is now at 54 pounds. He's maintained this weight after being on the stew for only 6 months. It's been several years and he is still at that healthy weight. Here is a before and after photo. For treats....he got only frozen green beans. He loves green beans...it's his absolute favorite treat. It's very important to make sure that they are getting healthy treats...nothing else. My MIL was a huge contributor to him and his weight. She always would give him bites of her human food.
for the last couple of years he's been back on his 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening of kibble.
IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0178.jpg

Last edited:
OP
dbutler813

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
He looks great she has started to lose weight and is making it up the stairs better now the house she came from was way over feeding her she is now on salmon kibble and is getting 3 cups split half in the morning and half at our dinner time she isn't much of a begger which is good. I am taking her to my vet soon when I taken my other dog for her annual shots one to get the cream for her wrinkles (her foster let them get out of hand) and to have an overall check. Thank you for the advice I will most definitely look into the options you all have suggested

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
The is prolly a dumb question so apologies.... [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I want to make this for Brie. She gets veggie toppings w her dry but your stew looks good..I thought mushrooms were bad for dogs?

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Some mushrooms are toxic and others are not. I think the concern comes from the wild ones that grow outside...unless you can identify what type they are, it's best to assume they are all toxic. The canned ones are fine. His dr actually recommended this stew for him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl needed to drop 10 lbs when she was about 2 yrs old.... We dropped her food to 1/2 cup with a 1/2 cup of green beans AM / PM.... Took a few weeks and now at age 8she holds steady at 60lbs with 1 cup kibble AM/PM

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Please could you post the recipe for the stew, Benedict has to drop 10 lbs post knee surgery I feed him 1/2 cup am/ pm but he's miserable he wines he never did before. Help

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It looks like everyone has already given you lots of great advice and suggestions. Reducing his portions at least temporarily, and adding veggies is the way to go. Good luck resisting those cute bully eyes.

Last edited:
OP
dbutler813

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
Thank you so much everyone! You are amazing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Please could you post the recipe for the stew, Benedict has to drop 10 lbs post knee surgery I feed him 1/2 cup am/ pm but he's miserable he wines he never did before. Help

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]. I think the receipt is sticky thread in Heath or food section.... Cheryl??

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Vegas was a chunk muffin at 70 pounds. We really needed him to trim down, so we started him on the Vegas stew diet. We went from giving him 2 cups daily ( 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening) to giving him 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening. We gave him as much of the stew as he wanted. The great thing about the stew is that it is a high fiber stew. It makes them feel full!! Vegas dropped the weight and is now at 54 pounds. He's maintained this weight after being on the stew for only 6 months. It's been several years and he is still at that healthy weight. Here is a before and after photo. For treats....he got only frozen green beans. He loves green beans...it's his absolute favorite treat. It's very important to make sure that they are getting healthy treats...nothing else. My MIL was a huge contributor to him and his weight. She always would give him bites of her human food.
for the last couple of years he's been back on his 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening of kibble.
View attachment 63480View attachment 63481

Wowsers! I need to make this for Petunia...she is a hefty 66 pounds and way too heavy. I have her on Fromm's Pork and Applesauce kibble-3/4 cup in AM and PM with a dollop of Merrick's Grain Free beef
shopping

I am thinking maybe making Vegas' stew and supplementing because she is always hungry.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It should be a sticky thread, all I know is that Vegas stew is usually highlighted and you just click the highlight it should take you right to the videos and everything

No [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

Last edited:

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
I'm so exited Benedict has lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks since we started him on the Vegas stew so basically 1 lb. a week. His Ortho vet was so happy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online