Help Needed! I have a question about rough housing

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I have 2 other dogs who are jack Russell's male 6 female 7 the female attacked my little bully 2 times when he was trying to play with her. And she hurt him a little not real bad. But now she acts like she wants to play with him but I am a little scared to let them because of what happen but then again I feel like I need to let it kinda happen as this is how they put the who's who in the house if so do I just let it happen to a point? Not saying let them fight but you know let then play and Keep a close eye on them.
And that brings me to my next question. The male Jack and Rambo play all the time and sometime it is hard to tell if they are getting out of hand. And then I hear Rambo yulp and being a Bulldog he just keeps going at him and I can see Ricky getting mad and I brake it up and not a second later they are at it again. Again should I just let it go or is steeping in the right thing to do?

Thanks for all the help here this is a great place

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got it right... watch them and redirect the behavior you do not want during the play session.. You do want them to correct each other to a point, but do not totally leave it up to them. As with most 'kids' once a 3rd party is involved it will turn ugly at some point so watch carefully when all three are involved.

Banks and Cheli (our Frenchie) play very rough and Banks will let him know when she is DONE, but there are times he does not take that warning and she has 'attacked' him or tried to and we had to step in.
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] may have more advice as she has 4 that rough-house and needs to keep in line

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have 4 "furkids". 2 are EBD,----1 is 1/2Eng 1/2 Fr. the 4th is Fr/pug. The 3 play VERY rough and sometimes I have to make them stop, as it escalates too much. The FR/pug only likes to play one on one. So The others have learned that they don't bother her -unless SHE starts to play with one of them. Pups sometimes get too rough, and the other dog has to "tell" them to take it easy. You do need to keep an eye on things, and if you see the Jacks are getting angry, and the pup won't quit-then you need to step in. You need to let the other dogs "discipline" the pup-and the pup might yelp-but when you see that your Jacks are getting angry, and want to stop playing, and pup won't take the hint-that's when you need to step in. Sometimes, when they go back at it-if they are overtired-that's when it need so stop.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.