Help Needed! Potty training/crate training

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Hi! I have a female english/old english bull dog. She is now 20 months old. She has been crate trained since she was a puppy. She does well in the crate for the most part. I keep her up with me until 11pm and take her out until she pees at that time. I put her in her crate and every morning lately she wakes up at 430am..barks twice, if I dont get right up and let her out she pees in her crate. And then barks louder because she obviously doesnt like being in a wet crate. I know she can go longer then 4 or 5 hours in the crate but all of the sudden she is choosing not to. Her crate is empty since she is more likely to pee on blankets, I take her for an extra walk to make her more tired. This has been going on for years now. Everytime we take one step forward and she does good for a few months, we take two steps back!

Any advice will be helpful!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have two 20 month old English Bulldogs, and they are both trained to potty outside and crate trained. I don't have any experience with peeing in the crate, but we also don't give our guys any water after 8:00 or 9:00 pm, and they go out for their last pee at around 11:00 or 11:30 pm. They eat at 6:00 am and 6:00 pm, and have free access to water throughout the day, but after 8:00 we take their water away, and they have never had an accident in their crate, and they don't bark or whine to go out until 6:00 am. Does your dog drink lots of water in the evening? If she does, she may not be able to hold for the whole night, and taking away her water in the evening might help.

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Hi! Nope she doesnt drink after 8...I feel like she is saying "I want out and if you dont let me out I will pee and then you will let me out!" Lol. She does well most of the time. I let her out to pee one more time before I go to work at 7am and she holds it until 2pm until my daughters get home to let her out. She hasnt woken up at 4 since she was a brand new puppy. We could get to atleast 6am. The last few weeks its no later then 4am. Its constant regressing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Could she possibly have a bladder infection. Frequent peeing, or not being able to hold pee, are both signs of a UTI?

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
I dont think so...only because she has has been doing this on and off for a year and a half. I should also add that on occasion if im not paying attention when she is at the door (since she allows me like 5 seconds to get to her) she has actually gone down to the crate and peed???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
seems that she is testing you, but I would have her checked for a UTI just to make sure, as our girl had them constantly on/off for her first 2 years -- once I got her on a grain free diet they stopped, but it will not hurt to rule out any issues.

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Thanks!! I will have her tested. She does have problems with food allergies so its a possiblity. But I totally agree with you that shes testing me!! She is a punk! But I love her!! Thanks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.