Scared of things

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Seems like in the last month Stinky is scared of things. I can't even bring a box in and he freaks out. Barking like a crazy dog and attacking it.He has always been scared of the sweeper and now he attacks it too. I mean he is really scare...the hair is up on his back and shoulders. Why is he acting this way and what do I do?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:hmm: I am not sure, maybe it is all the unusual craziness of the holidays that has gotten him nervous? Or some OCD.... anything that is out of the normal routine could effect him..... I remember my very first bulldog Baby barked at my new sewing box for days until she finally realized it was not going anywhere. That was my first experience and now I don't consider it anything more than bully behavior.

Maybe [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can offer some suggestions, as they also share with us some OCD bullies! I think they take after their moms actually....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:hmm: I am not sure, maybe it is all the unusual craziness of the holidays that has gotten him nervous? Or some OCD.... anything that is out of the normal routine could effect him..... I remember my very first bulldog Baby barked at my new sewing box for days until she finally realized it was not going anywhere. That was my first experience and now I don't consider it anything more than bully behavior.

Maybe [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] can offer some suggestions, as they also share with us some OCD bullies! I think they take after their moms actually....

Like your not Lisa!! :ROFL2: Yes Dana Vegas is the same way, if the least little thing is out of place he barks, I had to "train" Joe not to put his lunch pail on the kitchen counter, it sets Vegas off everyday. Vegas likes everything in it's place. He did OK with putting up the tree this year, but it took him a minute to accept it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Dana,
I don't know "Stinky's" age-but Maude turned one year the end of Oct. Now all of a sudden, she has started to bark, when she hears a noise-or hears dogs barking in the distance! She never really barked-so I am thinking this is "another Bullie phase"! I think now she is noticing more, because it's not all about playing, as much as it used to be! Who knows what "lurks" in the minds of EBD'S?! ha!hA! :bully::secret:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster has become this same way, I think it might be a stage they go through. Lisa is probably right though, just typical bulldog craziness.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate was scared of a piece of tin foil this morning! I wrapped some baked liver in it and showed him that the tin foil is "nice" and hopefully that will lessen his feelings about foil. Sounds silly, i know, i mean, it's just a piece of foil but to Tate it was evil! Maybe try associating something positive with the object that Stinky is afraid of to desensitize him of the fear. Will take time and patience and maybe it won't even work but may be worth a try.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Sound typical bulldog to me:tongue: when Boeboe was younger I put up a wall clock and she could not believe what I was doing. She was NOT happy, barked at it and gave it the stinky eye for days. She's still scared of new things, and don't like when stuff are moved around. Bennie is a bit scared of certain things but not as bad as Boeboe. Joey though could not care less about what goes on around her, the only thing that can scare her is the Epi-Otic bottle, lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very typical behavior.... most of the time it is due to the suddenness of the item entering the area other times, it is the OCD in them.... as Kelly stated, don't put something where it shouldn't be or wasn't ever before. Banks freaks out whnever something makes a nice and she is not able to see the object, like what you stated about the box coming in the house - if that were Banks and she did not see it coming, but heard it --- hair on end, barking and growling until she could smell it. Whatever he gets freaked out by -- place it on the floor (if possible) and let him smell it without it being moved, he needs to know what it is and he will settle down. Vacuum.... sigh, yeah, 8 yrs running still can not get her to accept it.

I am OCD (as Lisa pointed out :p), but I also get 'spring fever' a lot and tend to clean-out and rearrange the decor -- Banks is OK with that, but if we move something major like a piece of furniture - she will pace for like an hour around it and then settle in.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
This is so my bully! They get freaked out over the strangest objects. I try to use positive reinforcement and show him the item, leave it sit on the ground where he can see it and give him treats as he comes closer and praise until he becomes more comfortable or smells it. This doesn't work so well with items that people are carrying though, which my bully barks at all of the time lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.