Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

Default Scared of things

Seems like in the last month Stinky is scared of things. I can't even bring a box in and he freaks out. Barking like a crazy dog and attacking it.He has always been scared of the sweeper and now he attacks it too. I mean he is really scare...the hair is up on his back and shoulders. Why is he acting this way and what do I do?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Scared of things

I am not sure, maybe it is all the unusual craziness of the holidays that has gotten him nervous? Or some OCD.... anything that is out of the normal routine could effect him..... I remember my very first bulldog Baby barked at my new sewing box for days until she finally realized it was not going anywhere. That was my first experience and now I don't consider it anything more than bully behavior.

Maybe @KMARINO and @2BullyMama can offer some suggestions, as they also share with us some OCD bullies! I think they take after their moms actually....

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I am not sure, maybe it is all the unusual craziness of the holidays that has gotten him nervous? Or some OCD.... anything that is out of the normal routine could effect him..... I remember my very first bulldog Baby barked at my new sewing box for days until she finally realized it was not going anywhere. That was my first experience and now I don't consider it anything more than bully behavior.

Maybe @KMARINO and @2BullyMama can offer some suggestions, as they also share with us some OCD bullies! I think they take after their moms actually....
    Like your not Lisa!! Yes Dana Vegas is the same way, if the least little thing is out of place he barks, I had to "train" Joe not to put his lunch pail on the kitchen counter, it sets Vegas off everyday. Vegas likes everything in it's place. He did OK with putting up the tree this year, but it took him a minute to accept it.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Dana,
    I don't know "Stinky's" age-but Maude turned one year the end of Oct. Now all of a sudden, she has started to bark, when she hears a noise-or hears dogs barking in the distance! She never really barked-so I am thinking this is "another Bullie phase"! I think now she is noticing more, because it's not all about playing, as much as it used to be! Who knows what "lurks" in the minds of EBD'S?! ha!hA!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster has become this same way, I think it might be a stage they go through. Lisa is probably right though, just typical bulldog craziness.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Tate was scared of a piece of tin foil this morning! I wrapped some baked liver in it and showed him that the tin foil is "nice" and hopefully that will lessen his feelings about foil. Sounds silly, i know, i mean, it's just a piece of foil but to Tate it was evil! Maybe try associating something positive with the object that Stinky is afraid of to desensitize him of the fear. Will take time and patience and maybe it won't even work but may be worth a try.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Sound typical bulldog to me when Boeboe was younger I put up a wall clock and she could not believe what I was doing. She was NOT happy, barked at it and gave it the stinky eye for days. She's still scared of new things, and don't like when stuff are moved around. Bennie is a bit scared of certain things but not as bad as Boeboe. Joey though could not care less about what goes on around her, the only thing that can scare her is the Epi-Otic bottle, lol.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Very typical behavior.... most of the time it is due to the suddenness of the item entering the area other times, it is the OCD in them.... as Kelly stated, don't put something where it shouldn't be or wasn't ever before. Banks freaks out whnever something makes a nice and she is not able to see the object, like what you stated about the box coming in the house - if that were Banks and she did not see it coming, but heard it --- hair on end, barking and growling until she could smell it. Whatever he gets freaked out by -- place it on the floor (if possible) and let him smell it without it being moved, he needs to know what it is and he will settle down. Vacuum.... sigh, yeah, 8 yrs running still can not get her to accept it.

I am OCD (as Lisa pointed out ), but I also get 'spring fever' a lot and tend to clean-out and rearrange the decor -- Banks is OK with that, but if we move something major like a piece of furniture - she will pace for like an hour around it and then settle in.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

This is so my bully! They get freaked out over the strangest objects. I try to use positive reinforcement and show him the item, leave it sit on the ground where he can see it and give him treats as he comes closer and praise until he becomes more comfortable or smells it. This doesn't work so well with items that people are carrying though, which my bully barks at all of the time lol

Remove Ads