Need advice on crate training my new pup

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, im picking up my pup this sunday and i cannot wait. I am buying a crate tommorow but im not entirly sure of what i should do exactly to crate train him.

I have just bought some puppy pads for wee's.Do i put the food and water bowl in aswell, along with a soft bed to sleep on?

I would really like instructions on exactly what i should be doing if anyone can advise me. thanks in advance, Jason

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I never kept water or food in Stinky's crate. At first Stinky stayed in his crate a lot. I wanted him to get used to it. And every half hour I would take him outside and tell him to potty or poop poop..after he did that I told him good boy and he got a treat. I did this all day and night while I was at home.Make sure you go outside with him and make sure he does his business.If he doesn't bring him back in the house and wait a few mins and take him out again and do the same thing. Don't let him play , its not play time. During the day when I was at work I would put the puppy pad in his crate. But it got to the point he would chew it up, so I bought some towels and cut them in half and sewed them..and put them in his crate. He never chewed them up. He only got a bed at night time. I didnt want him to pee on it during the day. It was in the winter when we got him so I would keep a cover over the crate with just one side uncovered so he could see us and it helped keep him warm.We are all different when it comes to potty training. I NEVER liked using puppy pads outside of the crate . I think its just another habit you have to break when potty training.And I had good luck doing it that way.Also I would watch how much water he drank at night. The more he drinks the more he has to pee.Am not saying don't give him water..just watch how much before bed time.And remember you have to be CONSISTENT when potty training.Good luck with it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advice above, except the water part. Never, ever, ever, restrict water from a puppy, or adult as far as that goes. They will still get house trained with the water. We use the lick bottles on or crates. We have found pups will usually dump over their water bowl in their crate, and the lick bottles work great. A pup can only hold their pee for about an hour fir every month of age. So if he is 2 months of age, then he will hold his pee for only 2 hours, less if they are playing. The puppy pads he will more than likely just chew up, so we used to use towels but know we use the cotton reusable breeder pads. The pups don't chew them and they last a long time. But towels work well too. You can feed him in his crate if you wish, just don't leave food in his crate when you are not watching him. Let him play for about 30 minutes at first, then go out to potty then it's nap time. A young pup needs plenty of sleep still. Also we feed out pups 3 times a day until about 6 months of age then go to twice a day. If you need help with the lick bottle let me know and I can post a pic of it. You can get them at petsmart or petco, get the large one They work better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.