Lotion licking. -__- Why????!!!!!!

BengsBully

Dec 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Russell
My bullie is a 4 year old male and loves to lick my legs and or arms especially if he smells that I have lotion on. I mean, it started off as this funny/weird behavior. But now it's just plain annoying. I tell him no, move away, scoot him away, and nothing works. Sometimes he is so persistent, I have to put him out for a bit. He just goes MAD bonkers for lotion. I want him to stop, but I'm worried he might feel rejected by me if that is his way of showing affection. Ugg I don't know what to do. He will literally lick my legs raw if I let him. šŸ˜£

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I think most dogs do this, and it's normal. I had a Jack Russell who would lick my legs after a shower, and after putting on lotion. I think they just like the taste, or the lotion has a different scent than you usually have, and they are trying to remove the scent, kind of like they are cleaning you? It could be a bonding thing, like mutual grooming, they just like the taste or the scent. I don't know if it is safe for them, as there could be ingredients like lanolin, Shea butter, coconut butter, or coco butter, which could be not good for them, or some body products can contain alcohol which can cause abdominal distress such as vomiting or diarrhea.

Why Do Dogs Lick You?
October 14th, 2013 01:41:20 pm

Many people ask this question ~ why do dogs lick you? Explanations range from normal behavior to emotional needs. Most licking happens for one of five reasons.

Dogs Lick Us Due To Anxiety

Occasionally, licking is a sign of anxiety. Dogs enjoy licking, so they will sometimes lick as a way of comforting themselves. It usually shows itself as licking themselves or licking objects, but they may lick you for relief as well. If you think your dog has anxiety, consult your vet for confirmation and how to handle it.

Dogs Lick People To Get To Know Them

Another reason why dogs lick you is to learn about you. Smell may be their strongest sense, but they learn a lot from what they taste as well. Thatā€™s why they lick other dogs in greeting, and why they lick people. In the wild, wolves lick other wolvesā€™ mouths to determine if theyā€™ve eaten and if a food source is nearby. Taste tells them a lot more than just how to fill their belly, however, especially in domesticated dogs. What they taste when they lick you tells them about your chemical composition, which can clue them in to other things about you. Human hormones and chemicals vary based on everything from our health to our mood, so they may be able to tell a lot about our state of being by licking us.

Read More: Dog Behaviors That Come From Wolves

You Taste Good
Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. Sometimes dogs lick you
because they like the taste. My family has a dog who loves the taste of lotion ā€“ she would eat it from a bowl if she could ā€“ so sheā€™ll lick lotion off peopleā€™s hands and feet as long as they let her. Dogs also tend to like salty, savory flavors. Human sweat is loaded with sodium, so if youā€™ve ever noticed your dog licking your feet after a workout, itā€™s because of the flavor.

Dog Will Lick As An Act Of Submission

Licking is also a sign of respect and submission for dogs. Theyā€™ll lick higher-up pack members to show acceptance of that memberā€™s higher rank. If your dog lays down and licks your feet, thatā€™s likely their way of showing respect for your
authority.

A Dog Licks You Because She Loves You

For the most part, itā€™s a sign of affection. From the day they were born, their mother licked them to clean them and
stimulate them. Because of that, licking is connected to their very earliest social bonds, so itā€™s a significant part of their social signals. People arenā€™t exaggerating when they call it puppy kisses ā€“ a dog who licks you is showing you love. Itā€™s why your dog licks your hand happily when you walk in the door, and why many dogs will lick you after youā€™ve been petting them. Theyā€™re returning the friendly gesture.

Why do dogs lick you? It's usually a friendly sign. Occasionally, it may be the sign of a problem like anxiety, but it's typically nothing to worry about. Enjoy the puppy kisses.

What To Do With A Dog Who Licks A Lot

Do you have a dog that licks a lot? If that's a problem for you, you can channel that licking energy.

One of my favorite ways is by using a Kong stuffed with peanut butter. We carry the toughest Kong on the market, the Kong Blue. This is a great toy for your dog and will last a long time. Stuff it with peanut butter and you dog will spend hours trying to lick every last bit out of the center of it.

Last edited:

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
My bully does the same thing! If I put on lotion or even sometimes if I get out of the shower & have water on my legs he will lick them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Ugh I feel ur pain lmao with the winter comes dry skin especially on my face so every night I use my face cream n every night porky licks it off lol I seriously should just stop using it butttttt I kinda like the nighttime kisses :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN...... That is a Bulldog for you, my girl does it too, drives me nuts , but I redirect her with a treat ... I tell her no, leave it, have her sit and then give a treat. It take awhile to train, but you can get it to stop, but he will always try and get away with it at times. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All dogs love to do that! You know they will eat/lick lots of things that do not seem too appetizing to us! If I put something on my bullie's dry nose, she will lick for a half an hour!! Good idea-stuff a kong and give it to your dog-to lick, instead of licking you!:p

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
My bully does the same thing! If I put on lotion or even sometimes if I get out of the shower & have water on my legs he will lick them

DITTO! I was going to write the exact same thing!!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
After the shower and lotion, I quickly jump in the tub and get dressed so Tucker can't lick my legs!! Lol

Alisha

Dec 26, 2013
Alpharetta, GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lou Ferrigno
My bullie is a 4 year old male and loves to lick my legs and or arms especially if he smells that I have lotion on. I mean, it started off as this funny/weird behavior. But now it's just plain annoying. I tell him no, move away, scoot him away, and nothing works. Sometimes he is so persistent, I have to put him out for a bit. He just goes MAD bonkers for lotion. I want him to stop, but I'm worried he might feel rejected by me if that is his way of showing affection. Ugg I don't know what to do. He will literally lick my legs raw if I let him. ļ˜£

my dog does the SAME thing!!! its so strange.... after he licks for awhile he will try and start humping me.. -___- i hate it.. still working on how to break him of that.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
LOL too funny! Santino does the exact same thing and especially goes crazy right after I come home from tanning! Must be the tanning lotion flavor is more appetizing to him than Jergens!!!!! hahahaha

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea has to give me a 10 minute face bath at least twice a day and then kiss everyone who has just taken a shower for a few minutes. It annoys my wife but it doesn't bother me. If my wife just rubbed coconut oil on her arms and legs it is game on as Harlea loves the stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.