Help Needed! My bulldog puppy pees her crate

Ccmt96

Dec 18, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I need help. Lola is 17 weeks old and peesher crate. I've only had her for 3 weeks. She has accidents every time she's in her crate whether it be 30 minutes or 2 hours. She comes from a breeder so I think she is used to sleeping, playing, and peeing in the same enclosure. I've tried smaller crates but that's not working either. It doesn't seem to bother her to lay in urine. I'm at my wits end! Should I try to house train without crate? If so how should I do that! Please help?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
A lot of bullies do the same thing especially as a puppy, and will sometimes outgrow it, and sometimes will not. You need to take her blanket out of her crate until she's trained, and then try giving it back to her after her training around 5 or 6 months old. My two guys cannot have any blankets or pillows in their crate as they chew on them and eat them, they also cannot have any soft toys or stuffed animals for the same reason. The only toys we can give them are hard toys such as the Kong brand of toys, and balls. They do have two dog pillow beds that I bought at HomeSense that they can lie on when they are with us, and we can supervise them, and stop them when they try to chew them. We just say no, and give them a toy to chew on, and this will redirect them from chewing their pillows. When they are in the crate, they sleep on the plastic tray. It used to bother me that they couldn't lay on something soft, and only on the plastic tray, but they seem comfortable when they sleep at night, and they are safe from chewing and swallowing pillow material and stuffing. I would rather see them sleep without a pillow than them eat the pillow and get sick.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was also going to suggest no blankets or bedding, at least until she stops, and eventually she will get it. She may think the bedding is meant for holding the pee and is just confused on what she is supposed to do.

Positive reinforcement when she does go outside is key to helping, lots and lots of praise when she does.

Gemma

Mar 28, 2013
Southport, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I need help. Lola is 17 weeks old and peesher crate. I've only had her for 3 weeks. She has accidents every time she's in her crate whether it be 30 minutes or 2 hours. She comes from a breeder so I think she is used to sleeping, playing, and peeing in the same enclosure. I've tried smaller crates but that's not working either. It doesn't seem to bother her to lay in urine. I'm at my wits end! Should I try to house train without crate? If so how should I do that! Please help?

Is she only crated at night and if not for how long during the day? Try putting puppy pads in the crate then she will start to use them, then move the pads to the back door to help her get it.

Also try to Cut her water off by 7pm and when possible during the day keep taking her out every hour in the garden for a pee and some fun playtime, always praise her every time she goes outside. Probably best to book time off work to get this done! Their bladders are so small at this age they can't help it, it will take her until about 7 months to fully "get it" but the pads are life savers I put them in Archie's crate and he learned to poo and wee on them instead of his bed. Also it may be worth buying new bedding as no matter how much you wash them she will associate it with the toilet, try moving the crate too?

by 6 to 7 months you won't need pads but she will probably have the odd accident by 10 months it will be fine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 17 weeks... she can only hold her bladder for at most 5 hours

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Remove any bedding and take her out once during the night.....Mayhem is now 9 months old and has only been able to have bedding in his crate for the past two weeks or so. Before that, he would always pee on it if it was in his crate.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Ah yes. I remember this issue.

Matilda had a water bottle (like for hamsters) in her crate as a baby and enjoyed the sucking motion so much, she would drink way too much water for her bladder. Are you monitoring how much water your pup is drinking? If you leave water in the crate (and you should!) this may be the issue. The solution is to take her out more often/find less exciting water bottles (haha).

The way to correct the problem is to catch Lola in the act. Watch her in her crate until she pees (tedious, I know) and once you do and tell her NO, it will help her understand that this not the right place for potty. Right now she's been doing it in secret and therefore has never learned that this is bad. You can only correct her if you catch her in the act, otherwise she'll have forgotten about it.

You can also check for bladder infections (common in bullies) or something at the vet, and agreeing with everyone else, some dogs just want to mark their bedding and the only option is to remove it. I hope that helps! At this age she can absolutely hold it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have a lot of suggestions but I have to go get ready for work. Emma was about 6 months before she was fully potty trained. She just took longer. She's just a puppy, just like a baby. She'll get it though. I'll be back later with some advice.

OP
C

Ccmt96

Dec 18, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She is crated some during the day like when
I leave house to run errands. I've tried pads but she chews them up. The only thing that has seemed to keep her from peeing crate is a diaper. She has not had any accidents in her crate since she started wearing them. The other day I left her in crate for about 2 hours without diaper to test her out, and she had another accident. I know she can hold it, I know thats not the issue. Every nite she stays in crate 4 or 4 1\2 hours with her diaper on with no accidents.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I have a lot of suggestions but I have to go get ready for work. Emma was about 6 months before she was fully potty trained. She just took longer. She's just a puppy, just like a baby. She'll get it though. I'll be back later with some advice.
I love the picture of your babies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.