nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Title should read "Toy Aggression"

So, where to start..

Blue, now one, has always been a little toy aggressive. He goes crazy when he sees a new toy. How he makes the distinction between a new toy, and other items is beyond me- but he does.

Anyway, in the past, he would growl if you tried taking something he was playing with away. Not always, but if it was something he really wanted, he'd do warning growls.
I can't accept this behavior, so when he would growl, I would purposely take the toy away. But, it's not like he would just let go. His head snaps back, and his jaws go around my hand. He doesn't bite, but I don't like having my hand in the mouth of an unhappy bullie.
I've always been able to take the toy away, then make him sit to get it back. I would do this over and over with the same toy, make him sit, give it back, take it away, make him sit, give it back, etc.
After the first initial growl, he would let me take it without snapping at my hand. It's just always that first time.

Well, he hasn't done it in a while, then last night it happened again. Blue's now older, larger, and much stronger. So after that first growl, and snap, he bruised my finger. He didn't bite, it was just the force of his head moving quickly. I still got the toy, and we did the sit, give, take, exercise over and over and per usual, after that first time, everything was fine.

But how do I get it to stop?? The aggression worries me. He can snap at anyone, at anytime if they go hear him and his toy. It's so strange too because I can take stick my hand in his food bowl while he's eating, or even take food right out of his mouth, and nothing. But when it comes to toys, he turns into a different dog.

Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I would say Remove the toys and start doing what you where doing before -play take and give / or drop -reward it with high value food -like nice meat or like in my home food -sounds silly but cheese always worked wonder in our home xx
I hope it helps hun
Ps .does he "growl at any toy you try to take from him or only new ones?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi Pati-

Will I have to do the exercises forever, or is it something he'll eventually out grow?

I can use cheese to teach commands where toys aren't involved. But toys are the highest value reward for him right now. He won't trade a toy he wants for cheese or meat.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going thru the same thing right now with Buster every morning and every night when I sit down he brings me a toy to grab and throw for him. In the last month I started using the command "let it go" because he will just hold it and not let go of it so I cant throw it for him and if I don't try after a period of time he starts to growl and I started to growl back at him which made no difference at all. He's starting to come around to the let it go command and will drop it and put his head on top of it and then I can grab it and throw it. He does understand the word NO which means I don't want to play with him at which point he goes off and lays on the floor and gives me the stinky eye. I have read on here and heard other people say that they eventually do grow out of it. Don't know when but have my fingers crossed. :)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
This is such a good thread! Bogey has never been toy aggressive- meaning, I can take anything from him and he gives it up without a growl, BUT.... if he brings me a toy to play with, he wants to tug, and THEN the growl comes out. I stop play immediately, and he will just drop the toy. If I go to pick it up, he grabs it (without growling) and will take off with it, but bring it back so we can tug it from him. I used to play this game for awhile unless he growls, then the game is over. NOW, we are at my daughters with her 3 year old boxer/bullmastiff mix. They roughouse and play fairly well, but if a toy comes out, gloves are off! And it's BOGEY who is more toy aggressive! The growling starts low, but escalates until one of them gets testy (usually Bogey) and then I take the toy away. We have taken ALL toys and put them out of sight. There are some here that tell me they can never have toys out with their bullies because of the possessiveness, so I am not sure they ever grow out of it. I would take all toys away for now, and keep doing what you are doing with a toy only on your terms. go back to hand feeding, taking things away for the heck of it, and keep being the alpha! Good luck!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks guys.

I really don't want it to get to the point where I take all his toys away since it's not a common occurrence anymore. Yesterday was a surprise as it's been awhile since he's had a reaction to me taking a toy away.
Then again, I don't know why I'm surprised since I always tell people not to pet him if he's playing with a toy. So I guess it's always in the back of my mind.

@Pati Robins funny you should ask if it's new or any. If I think about it, I'm pretty sure they're new toys. Or at least most of them are. But, it doesn't happen all the time even with new toys. It seems to be all about how much he's into it.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum has toy aggression too..he wants to play but won't give it up..he's never snapped or bitten but the growl sounds scary at times too! When he goes to get a better grip is what concerns me.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I wouldn't say Brutus is toy aggressive but he does do the tug and growl thing. I will not play with him if he does not drop the toy and sit for me to throw it. I worry that he will grab me on accident because if i don't make him sit and stay he will lunge at the toy when I try to get it. Thats kinda scary. I don't think he would bite on purpose, it would just be a matter of who got the toy first and I'm sure I would lose. Now putting a sweater on him (this is new) or clip his nails and it is on!! He tries to bite like there is no tomorrow. I am thinking of getting a trainer in to stop this.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's the thing, he doesn't bite- but he threatens. And having his mouth around my hand as I'm trying to pull out a toy is not fun. I'm never sure if the day's gonna come when he actually clamps down on my hand. But I refuse to pull away and have him think he's the boss.

He's very aggressive when we play tug but he doesn't growl, or bite. He knows if I can't get it, it's game over so he always releases in the end (but man my arm gets a work out).

The growling and snapping happens when he's playing alone with his toys.
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] do you walk away when he growls, or do you take the toy away?

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This IS a great thread…
Winston doesn't growl, but when he gets a ball he won't let go of it either. So I pretty much walk away from him and continue playing w/Roxie until he decides to let it go. I don't really understand what type of behavior this is… I will tell him to drop it, but he won't do it!!! :cursing:

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
See we still battling shy vs lily vs food -from what i learned bullies have tendency to guard their prizes -in mu case its food ,but as soon she starts a warning growl at shy i take food of her ,in fact most of the time i hand feed her and pray for a bloody heat to come lol

Does his fur raise when you try to take the toy or come near?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Why are they so aggressive with toys, balls, etc? Is this just a bulldog trait?

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes they have that tendency hun

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
See we still battling shy vs lily vs food -from what i learned bullies have tendency to guard their prizes -in mu case its food ,but as soon she starts a warning growl at shy i take food of her ,in fact most of the time i hand feed her and pray for a bloody heat to come lol

Does his fur raise when you try to take the toy or come near?

No. He just stops playing and starts watching my hand. If I get too close to his toy (which is usually in his mouth), he'll growl.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
OMG..Stinky does the same thing. I did teach him to drop it when told. But the "guys" don't make him do that. So now he will growl and it scares me. He will NOT drop his toy or anything else unless I tell him to drop it and offer a treat or spray him with the bottle. But its kinda of funny he wants to drink from the bottle...so I have to spray his paws. And he doesn't like that. And when family or friends come over I have to tell them DO NOT take it from him. I'm afraid that he will bite. Sometimes the hair on his back will stand up. So I know he does mean business. I don't know what to do. And how can I work with him again if the guys don't make him do the same thing?Stinky just turn a year old yesterday.I can't let this go on any longer. Plus its causing a problem between his dad and I.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.