Toy Aggresion

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
That's the thing, he doesn't bite- but he threatens. And having his mouth around my hand as I'm trying to pull out a toy is not fun. I'm never sure if the day's gonna come when he actually clamps down on my hand. But I refuse to pull away and have him think he's the boss.

He's very aggressive when we play tug but he doesn't growl, or bite. He knows if I can't get it, it's game over so he always releases in the end (but man my arm gets a work out).

The growling and snapping happens when he's playing alone with his toys.
@Chumley do you walk away when he growls, or do you take the toy away?
i walk away..but probably the right thing to do is take it away..but if I did i would be taking everything. He wants whatever I pick up...if he's zoned in on his ball and I pick up the rubber bone then he wants the bone...he has possession aggression..he'll let little kids lie all over him, use him as a pillow without so much as budging...but if he's playing outside with a toy he's a completely different personality...just playing but I'm afraid one day a kid will try and take away his toy and get snapped at.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am at work and will try to remember to post a vieo of Banks playing with me.... very rough and LOUD! She is Miss Dominate, but we had to work very hard with her as a puppy/toddler to make her realize she does not own anything and if we say 'drop' it is dropped. One thing to never do is take an item and not return it... do not throw something away when the pup is able to see you do so. I learned this at daycaare, we were instrcuted to remove the object from the area, but let them know it wold be returned.... 'losing the item' casues them to think if I let go or they take it I will not get it back ---- something like that... so it is a long road to get this set and for us Banks is very food motivated and worked for us.

We also had issue with her stealing food from Nitschke so we had to train her to not go to her bowl till told and not touch a touy if we said no.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I am of no help but wanted to say two things:

1. I can't believe he's already one! I remember when I met him, he was just a little fella.
2. Great thread, very helpful. Thanks for starting it.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When we got Amber, we were looking for a bully that was rough and tough and could handle her own. Well, that is exactly what we got, Amber loves toys and believes all toys are hers no matter if they are hers or the grandbabies or Kristana's. New toys are fair game the minute they enter the house, she will let you play with them and try to protect them from you by holding them with her paws and on occassion she may growl but it is playful. She will fight you for the toy back. We went back for Ruby a year later because of Amber's qualities and have not been disappointed; Ruby also believes toys are hers but she is not a possessive about them as Amber is.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.