Huge Accomplishment with Tilly Today!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
As you guys know, Matilda is going through the training ringer.

We have had an issue with distractions, in particular, the squirrels that taunt her on our walks. They literally do it on purpose. They see us coming and will come right up to her and run off at the last second! It is so rude.

What usually happens is she'll spot them and run for it. I will tell her NO and hold her back but she'll really pull me and it seems like she can't even hear me, she's in such predatory mode.

Her trainer suggested getting the Pet Corrector. It's AWESOME. Basically it's compressed air, and you just spray a little into the air (not at the dog) and it makes a CHTTTT noise. It's not very loud (depending on how hard you press) but for whatever reason, the noise REALLY gets their attention.

So what the trainer said was to bring it on our walks, and when she sees the squirrel, spray it, and it'll break her PREDATOR thought process, and get her attention. Then when she looks at me, I tell her NO and LEAVE IT, and we continue walking.

We did this for the last few weeks, and then today, I forgot to bring the pet corrector. She spotted the squirrel and started speeding up, and I told her NO. She stopped right in her tracks and walked politely by them with no issue! I was shocked! She didn't take her eyes off them, but for the first time it seemed like she just heard me and understood not to run at them!

If you guys need help with distraction training, that Pet Corrector helped so much!

We're just so proud!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I know that excited, thrilling feeling! Congratulations! I know how exciting it is when they do it right!! Good for you Matilda!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That's so awesome!!! We don't see many squirrels by our house, I guess that's a good thing… LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY WOW.... what fantastic progress! thanks for sharing and for the info on the tool

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Arizona ground squirrels have decided to take up residency under our shed on the right side of our yard. We have a gate up so the bullies can not get over there because they like to dig in the tomato and pepper box but they sit there watching the squirrels. It seems the squirrels know the bullies cannot get to them and occassional I wil open the gate just so they get the thrill of the chase but most of the time the bullies are just watching. Squirrels, toads, and lizzards love our backyard; the bullies haven't caught any of them but they give them a good chase.