Help, please!!!

LunchBox

Sep 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LunchBox
We adopted our bulldog when he was nearly 2 years old. Supposedly house trained. We've had him for over a year now so he's around 3 years old.

He is perfectly fine in the house as long as he's on hard floors. (even rugs seem to be just fine 90% of the time) Carpet? Nooo. It's like grass to him apparently. If I'm not right there by him, he'll pee or poop constantly on carpet. He goes outside very well any other time, goes to the door when he needs to go or lets me know by coming up to me and barking & then running to the door. So, I know that he gets that outside is where we go potty. And, if it wasn't for me having kids, this might not be as huge of an issue but my kids are always leaving their bedroom doors open & their rooms have carpet. Of course, he runs in there when I don't realize they have the door open (who expects young kids to keep doors shut anyways?!). I've tried baby gates to block off those rooms but again...the kids either can't climb over or knock it down and there he goes. In reality, I shouldn't have to worry about the dog going in those rooms & having to shut doors or do gates. I have GOT to figure out how to break this carpet issue. Seriously pulling my hair out. On top of it all, our house is currently on the market & the last thing I need is for any room to stink of dog urine/feces. Yuck.

Any ideas of how to break this? I've tried all sorts of tricks over the last year & I'm not sure where else to turn or how to fix it. My husband & I have had it...probably me more than him since I'm the one constantly cleaning & scrubbing floors. :( I love my bullie but I do not love this problem.

I'm desperate for help!

EDITING TO ADD:

I realized I forgot a couple more things that might be helpful. I have used Nature's Miracle (religiously!!! lol)...all sorts of products from their lines. Even the one that is supposed to keep them from going there again(ha!). He has also even pee'd on his bedding I have for him (not the one in his crate but another one in the house that I keep by my desk for when I'm at the computer and he likes to be by me). Thankfully, peeing on the bedding isn't something he does often but I thought of it because he did it this week. If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Once he pees on one of the spots they can locate the "smell for months" we use carpet cleaner , once a month ,steaming every day carpet steaming once a week -we dont have that problem but my foster dog peed on my rug once- i washed it as best as i could and once dried i put it away as i like to change over my deco -anyway 6 months later i take it out for cleaning amd what my 2 dogs done (they never done it neither!) pee on it
sometimes gate to cut him of the upstairs bedrooms is needed -it don't look nice but is eater this or the pee
So sorry but this is best advice i can give you

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, the only advice I could give is if he isn't being watched then he must be crated; it sounds like he has to have all eyes on him until you guys come to some resolution or he gets the idea the carpets are off limits. Unfortunately, this one will require patience on the humans and diligence to make sure he is being watched non-stop until he has the idea. I have child gates up half way down my hallway so the bullies can not get in there unsupervised, I just got new carpets and not even the humans are allowed to go on the carpets with shoes on. I am not an advocate of this next idea but I do know someone with a mixed breed that had the same problem you are mentioning. They got those electronic barriers and placed them around the bedroom doors and the dogs collar reacted to those barriers when the dog got near the bedroom doors. They have since taken the collar off the dog but now their dog doesn't go down the hallway to the bedrooms. I am not sure about this, I just use the baby gates and that works get for me and have no idea if this would be an option or not. Good luck.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Not a fan of any type of shock collars -i tried one on myself once !!(yes im
Weird but that was part of drinking game) -i wont advise putting it on a dog

OP
L

LunchBox

Sep 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LunchBox
My husband actually mentioned the shock collar as well. We have used it in the past when our Boxer was still with us (had to be put to sleep) as he was an outside dog in the country but would tear up the flower beds & litter the deck with mud. So, we put the border around those places we wanted him to stay out of and he quickly learned the boundaries and did great. We later just turned it off completely & even took the collar off but he'd still stay out of those places. It was our last resort in that case after trying all sorts of things & I was so thankful it worked so well & quickly. I'm not 100% against using the collars & if I can not get anything else to work, we may try it. I've never seen it done indoors but it would be amazing if it worked quickly & then we could just turn it back off & take the collar off. It makes me sad to think of using one though & I wouldn't have even considered it when we first adopted him because I figured he was just getting used to us & his new home & he'd stop with the peeing on the carpets. But, after a year later of trying all sorts of things, I'm definitely feeling desperate. :(

eta: I hear you, Patti, on it not being pleasant. I've been shocked by many electric fences & such over the years (the joys of being raised on a ranch & being at a friend's that had goats). Not something I enjoyed but I certainly learned not to touch certain fences or even go near it after I realized it was there.

Last edited:
OP
L

LunchBox

Sep 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LunchBox
I also forgot to add that we did have him fixed last year ... it was something we did in hopes to fix this problem as the vet thought it could help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My sister has this issue with her Pug... turned out he had a UTI, but you state he also does :poo:. Does he have any other behavioral issues... listening to a particular person in the house or trying to dominate in anyway?

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I have to agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - I'm wondering if it really isn't a carpet thing as it is him marking the kids in a way by peeing/pooping in their room.

By no means do I have the issues you are dealing with, and in no way am I trying to pass judgment. I also read your comments about being shocked by electric fences as a kid. However, I BEG you not to use a shock color! A friend has two boxers that I love and take care of when they are out of town. I have to put the shock collar on both of them but one of the collars seems to be malfunctioning because when the girl (Tavi) goes into a certain, allowable area of the back yard, she must get shocked because she jumped to high heaven and yelped after going for her ball that I threw in said area. Of course I had NO idea this was a problem and felt like crawling under the house because she got hurt. I just don't understand shock collars. Never say never, but I pray I never ever ever have to use one.

Good luck and please keep us posted. I pray you are able to find results without a shock collar.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.