Does your bully ever suddenly shreik ?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

So im at the potty spot outside by my building, and Baxter is pulling on his leash, while mildly wrestling with a little pug. Both of them are kind of just going some gentle bulldozing, wrestling / leaning like bulldog breeds do. Kinda slowly tackling eachother, etc. I and the other owner are both pulling tight on the leashes because each dog wants to lung at the other (in play). We both pull each dog back every so often, then let them waddle up to eachother and do a little wrestle.

At one point, Baxter isn't even doing anything, just kind of sitting there, a foot or so away from the pug. Suddenly he lets out this extremely loud SHRIEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... but not one... it was like two or three - sounded like *severe* pain. The other owners looked horrified and startled, and I quickly went up to Baxter to see what was going on. He was looking at his left paw as he screamed extremely loud. So I grabbed his paw ... looking for something biting him, or an existing wound or ... anything. There was nothing. And just like that he stopped. Wasn't limping. Nothing. Went about his business and all was normal.

The other owners mentioned they saw something like that with another dog who had just broken his claw, but baxters were fine. They weren't even being aggressive in play at all.

Is this something bulldogs do sometimes?

I theorized that he was just letting out a scream of utter bloody murder horror pain because he wanted off his leash to play with the pug, and his tension was just building up too much?? But even that seems wrong, because he wasn't acting all that upset about the leash. Nothing was out of the ordinary at all.

It really. ... really sounded like severe pain.

Donovan

Mar 24, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
I have had similar issue with Hercules. One day after playing with his frisbee for about 10 seconds he suddenly lost interest and limped off. I approached him a went to look for the reason he was limping. As soon as I touched his right hind leg he let out what sounded like what you described. I have never heard a dog make that noise before. I was obviously concerned so I watched him all night and took him to the vet that morning. When we got there he had no symptoms, but the vet mentioned it is possible for them to get strained muscles and cramps.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did it sound like Chewbacca? If so yes, all the time!!!

Molly does it anytime and everytime she wants anything. In. Out. Treat. Pet. Belly rub. It's the worst if guests are here and she's in her crate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

951Bully

Nov 26, 2013
Country
Riverside
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy
Did it sound like Chewbacca? If so yes, all the time!!!

Molly dies it anytime and everytime she wants anything. In. Out. Treat. Pet. Belly rub. It's the worst if guests are here and she's in her crate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol...I thought beefy was the only one. It does sound like chewbacca. He does it when I ignore him as I am working from home. Oh and when I cook he barks sideways and shrieks from the couch and stares at me.. haha

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella has done that a couple of times… scared me to death!!! I honestly think she did it because she was mad at us… LOL

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Boeboe can do it sometimes if she's frustrated... like first thing in the morning when I let her out in the garden, she runs out and she does this weird noise that isn't even close to barking. It's more like a cat screaming sound...:rolleyes:

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June did one time, but then there was blood! Walking into our elevator she stepped in the crack where the elevator door slides, and it ripped off 2 of her nails on her foot. Scared me so bad, and it echoed in the elevator which probably made it worse. She walked fine and didn't seem bothered after the shriek, but it started bleeding when we got inside so I just cleaned it up and it healed normally. I would've never known anything happened if she hadn't started to bleed though.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does her Ewok when she wants anything from anyone. People think she is in pain when she does it but it is her way of getting people attention when they are not spending all of their time paying attention to her to begin with. She doesn't do it much with us anymore mostly with new people or people she hasn't seen in awhile.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Rumblings and low pitched whining when wanting attention or to go outside quite often but never shrieks for no cause. He only has shrieked once and it was for something that caused obvious pain. If Ace started shrieking I would be looking for something that is causing pain he just doesn't do so otherwise

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster has done this before and I freaked out because there was no rhyme or reason to it. I think Tracey may be right, they are trying to get our attention.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Yeah - no this wasn't the chewbacca thing.

This was a high pitched painful shreik, like screaming.

The post above mentions they can get muscle cramps or pulls .... that may be what it was. He definitely was focusing on his left front leg .... and he had been pulling, and pulling, and pulling hard on his leash like I mentioned ... for several minutes.

May have had a very painful charlie horse.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.