My 3 YO has started pooping in her crate

sarahtinez

Dec 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
My English Bulldog is 3 years old and was perfect about going to the bathroom outside, being in her crate when we are gone, and sleeping in her crate at night. Now, she is pooping in her crate almost every day! We tried getting her a new crate thinking that would stop it. We tried making it smaller and now she just lays on her poop. We thought maybe she was mad at us so we let her sleep on the couch one night and then she pooped on the floor. Help!!! I am so frustrated that nothing seems to be working. We walk her right before bed even if she had already walked shortly before just to make sure. But nothing helps. What do we do?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When does the pooping occur…at night time? Usually dogs will not pee or poo in the place they sleep in. What time is Charley's last meal of the day? I wonder if you can observe her and try to catch her right before she goes #2 in her crate, then quickly take her outside to help "retrain" her?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Is her poo soft? Is she going more often? Are you seeing some muscle deterioration on her legs/backside? This is probably health related. She may have something wrong with her that prevents her from holding it in. I would see the vet.

OP
S

sarahtinez

Dec 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
When does the pooping occur…at night time? Usually dogs will not pee or poo in the place they sleep in. What time is Charley's last meal of the day? I wonder if you can observe her and try to catch her right before she goes #2 in her crate, then quickly take her outside to help "retrain" her?

Yes she is doing this at night. When we are gone during the day, she holds it. We've tried moving up her nighttime feeding but that hasn't helped either. She usually eats by 7:00 pm and doesn't go to "bed" in her crate until around midnight. We always walk her again before bed but at some point between midnight and 6 am she is going in her crate.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't know if this will help, but what if you fed her in her crate? And maybe give her a snack in there as well. Dogs don't usually poop in the place they sleep or eat in. Might be worth a shot!

OP
S

sarahtinez

Dec 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley
I don't know if this will help, but what if you fed her in her crate? And maybe give her a snack in there as well. Dogs don't usually poop in the place they sleep or eat in. Might be worth a shot!

That is worth a try. We will do that tonight and see if it helps. Thank you for the suggestion. We are running out of ideas on our own.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am not much help on this one. All my dogs, to include my rescues while I was recuing, eat at 0530am and between 430-530pm. This schedule has always given me enough time in the morning before I go to work and plenty of time before I go to bed to take them out for their last go before bed time. I usually go to bed by 10pm and that way they only have to hold it until 5am which is 7 hours and most of the time I have to wake them up to go out and eat or they would sleep longer. Good luck and I hope everything gets better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.