Bullshark Brie snapping....

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I have the same problems with Sebastian he bit me pretty hard a few weeks ago and he will snap at my grand daughters we are working with a trainer but I think I will try the traps too . He also really is aggressive with my son in law that lives in the same house as soon as my son walks out of his room boy gets a going and I don't know what to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@Manydogs...your guess is as good as mine on that one. Brie follows me everywhere..the behaviorist said she shouldn't do that because in her mind it's like she has to. So she told me to stop her...but I love her following me :( I asked her if she felt the behaviors I was concerned about (her very rough play w my son, her attacking my other dog when I go to put the leash on him, her possessiveness over food etc) was her being or trying to be dominant to which after spending time w her she said no, that I don't have a dominant dog in my house, but her state of mind related to me was an issue. In my opinion, if a dogs state of mind is higher then it should be, wouldn't that be equivalent to vying for position ...or trying to be dominant? I'm lost... Lol

I realize I'm replying very late in this post but wanted to try and help clear up the "she isn't dominate but her state of mind is higher than is should be" from a training aspect I believe the behaviorist was trying to say that Brie is not a dominate dog, meaning she is by nature a follower in the pack but with any dog if it isn't clear who the "pack leader" is even a submissive follower will try to assume that role ie her state of mind being higher, she is trying to pull the pack together by becoming the leader even though that would not be true to her nature, not meaning she is vying to be dominate she is just trying to fill and empty role. With Calm Assertive Energy ALL the humans can relieve her stress by becoming her pack leader and making her feel more comfortable and confident. Does that help explain?

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] I'll take any n all advice be it sooner or later! Thank you for replying. It does make sense, except that she did state I was doing a good job as establishing pack leader. I think my hubby n son not doing the same thing I am - having that consistency, is an issue too. Brie follows me everywhere. The mind state comment was a reference to that. She said I should stop her from following me. She was going over so many things I didn't get a chance to ask why in detail. When I asked why, she said briefly that her state of mind about me was the root issue. Is that what you are referring to as well? That her following me means she is unsure about my leadership? I want to do what is right w her but tbh, I love her following me so I'm a bit lost in that area. She has gotten better, she still charges Hunter when I leash him, but I can redirect her a but more then before. If my hubby n son would do what I do, i don't think they would have any issues..but she does nip my son n that him like a litter mate. He is 8 so he puts himself in the position for her to take over even tho I've told him over n over what yo do n how to be...ugh..lol but, I'll continue trying!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just reading this. If there is not cooperation in the home-as far as consistant training, the dog will take advantage of that.It is an absolute NO NO for your dog to nip your child. A dog WILL become Alpha over the weaker,and have no respect, just as a child who is not taught respect.Not saying your child is bad-but if HE won't co operate with training her, maybe he needs training. Just sayin.....My dogs are spoiled brats-but don't even THINK of nipping or biting PEOPLE.
I provide everything for my dogs, and they are not going to nip me! Sorry if I sound too harsh, but it's just that , to me it is a VERY important issue. My dogs ALL follow me, sometimes if I turn around too quickly, I fall over them! But nooooooo nipping ever!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with others... All humans in the house MUST be on the same page with the training, schedule and commands.... Otherwise, they will be ignore by Brie. Not fair to any of you if the others do not follow what you are teaching her.

good luck and give a few slaps to the back of the head to those not following the rules

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@bulldogs4me I'll take any n all advice be it sooner or later! Thank you for replying. It does make sense, except that she did state I was doing a good job as establishing pack leader. I think my hubby n son not doing the same thing I am - having that consistency, is an issue too. Brie follows me everywhere. The mind state comment was a reference to that. She said I should stop her from following me. She was going over so many things I didn't get a chance to ask why in detail. When I asked why, she said briefly that her state of mind about me was the root issue. Is that what you are referring to as well? That her following me means she is unsure about my leadership? I want to do what is right w her but tbh, I love her following me so I'm a bit lost in that area. She has gotten better, she still charges Hunter when I leash him, but I can redirect her a but more then before. If my hubby n son would do what I do, i don't think they would have any issues..but she does nip my son n that him like a litter mate. He is 8 so he puts himself in the position for her to take over even tho I've told him over n over what yo do n how to be...ugh..lol but, I'll continue trying!

She follows you because she trusts in your leadership, never once in all I've learned so far in dog training have I heard that a dog shouldn't follow you ... heck if that's the case I have to start over completely :lol: but seriously, my dogs follow me everywhere I go be it in the house, in the yard or in the great outdoors of a park, for me that is a must :yes:. One thing I've learned also is that you need to claim your husband and your son as your pack members, she may not respect them right now but if her pack leader (you) accepts them then she has no choice but to follow your lead. It is also true that your husband and son really must get on board with you and take a more active role in her training, all humans need to be seen by her as a pack leader so she can learn the proper respect for them, you claiming them and correcting her when she steps out of line will help but once they are on board and following your lead the problem will go away. Explain to them that if they don't help and do the things you are trying to teach them it only hurts her but to be a confident pack leader would help and make her a happy dog ... also if your son is scared because she nips at him, explain taking an active role in her training will make that fear go away (and will actually make him more confident too <-- that part you don't have to tell him :lol: ). I totally understand what you mean when you say she was telling you so many things at once ... in my experience I've learned that I have to say to the trainer or teacher to slow down this helps me learn each step and to not get overwhelmed, just because they know the steps or thoughts doesn't mean it's being clearly explained. I actually once said "ATAT" to my trainer/teacher without thinking because she was going to fast and it just slipped out :blush2: but caught her attention :lol: I thought she was going to wet herself she laughed so hard but sure made a big difference in her delivery of information. Oh before I forget, when leashing Hunter make sure to have Brie on a leash so you can give her a quick leash correction (slight tug of the leash to the side ... if you pull to the side it snaps her out of that thought pattern but if you pull up or back that's seen more as holding back and a dog will try to advance to the challenge) and a verbal ATAT so she understands that she is not allowed to do that behavior.

Hope this helps :)

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] yes, it does, and it will..now, do I need to pay you 400$ too? Lol thank you for all the effort you put into this information. My son gets just as rev'd up as she does, so for him it is learning to stay calm n not roll around on the floor..I have discussed training n feeding etc w them over n over. they jump in every so often..so, it looks like it is gonna be just mainly me as pack leader...I will continue to try to convince, plead w them, demand..lol...to them that they need to have their hands in this more tho. Thank you again :heart:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
@bulldogs4me yes, it does, and it will..now, do I need to pay you 400$ too? Lol thank you for all the effort you put into this information. My son gets just as rev'd up as she does, so for him it is learning to stay calm n not roll around on the floor..I have discussed training n feeding etc w them over n over. they jump in every so often..so, it looks like it is gonna be just mainly me as pack leader...I will continue to try to convince, plead w them, demand..lol...to them that they need to have their hands in this more tho. Thank you again :heart:

thank you for the giggle, and nope I don't charge for the advise :lol: oh wait yes I do, you are charged to give Brie 100 hugs, 100 kisses and a lifetime of love :) yep yep that will work :yes: your husband and son may come around more when they start seeing how much of a difference training and a strong pack leader makes in Brie's demeanor ... best bet is to claim them as part of your pack and with consistent correction Brie will view them as yours and give them more respect because it sounds like she already gives you her respect by how she follows your lead :)

Oh and since your son gets riled up while playing maybe you could do what I do with my little male Diesel, Diesel gets all kinds of angry when people play rough with him, so I had to teach him the verbal command "Enough" coupled with the sound aversion technique, I clap my hands together ... so when he gets over excited during play with other people, I will "Clap" my hands and say "Enough" which will make him stop right away and look to me for direction of what to do next.

Last edited:
OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
thank you for the giggle, and nope I don't charge for the advise :lol: oh wait yes I do, you are charged to give Brie 100 hugs, 100 kisses and a lifetime of love :) yep yep that will work :yes: your husband and son may come around more when they start seeing how much of a difference training and a strong pack leader makes in Brie's demeanor ... best bet is to claim them as part of your pack and with consistent correction Brie will view them as yours and give them more respect because it sounds like she already gives you her respect by how she follows your lead :)

Oh and since your son gets riled up while playing maybe you could do what I do with my little male Diesel, Diesel gets all kinds of angry when people play rough with him, so I had to teach him the verbal command "Enough" coupled with the sound aversion technique, I clap my hands together ... so when he gets over excited during play with other people, I will "Clap" my hands and say "Enough" which will make him stop right away and look to me for direction of what to do next.
I will gladly give her those payments, and more! I think your 'enough' idea is perfect and I will start working on that w both of them today! Maybe between the 2 I can get 1 of them to stop before it escalates lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.