Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My English Bulldogs want to kill each other..HELP! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tegrant711 View Post
    Would be sending both dogs off to obedience school help??
    Yes, as, both would help... Be even better if you have one home into your home to see the behavior first hand.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

This is a classic case of fighting for pack hierarchy. Yes, this can be resolved but it might not be fixed. The solution greatly hinges on you and your bf's alpha ranking and Hank and Lola's temperament.

In my pack, my husband is a natural at being the strong leader that none of the dogs want to challenge. I'm not. I'm a wimp with the dogs. But I'm the primary caregiver. I have 3 dogs - Gizmo, a 15lb male bichon, is the first dog and thinks he's the alpha but his small size makes him ineffective as a pack leader. Bully a 6 year old 65lb female bulldog is an alpha-type female. She is stubborn as all get and I have a difficult time getting her to do something she does not want to do. But I control her food so tolerates my commands. She used to try my husband but she's learned her place. She growls at Gizmo if she gets bothered by him but Gizmo would just run under the couch to escape so nothing much happens. Angus, a 2 year old 50lb male bulldog is the latest addition to the pack. He's an omega dog so Bully bosses him around. Angus tries to dominate Bully and Bully would growl and get her jaws on Angus neck and Angus would immediately flop down on the ground in surrender. We keep an eye on them and so far we can just let them fight it out. Sometimes if the growling gets too much, my husband calls both their names sharply and that's enough to get them back on their good behavior. They don't play with each other on their own. Bully only plays if the humans are playing too. Angus and Gizmo, on the other hand, are best friends. Gizmo bosses Angus around and Angus thinks it's time to play. So, in our pack, everybody has their place and they stay within its bounds with only a few harmless, albeit loud, skirmishes.

Why this works: All the dogs recognizes human authority because my husband consistently does not tolerate misbehavior even when it's cute. Bully is 4 times bigger than Gizmo - the only dog that refuses to give up his ranking to her. Angus is naturally an omega dog, scared of his own shadow.

In your case, for a few weeks everything is hunky-dory because Lola is new to the place and is still trying to get acclimated. Hank is fine too because Lola is falling in line. Now, Lola gets comfortable and naturally establishes her dominance in the pack. Hank is a puppy in her eyes and so she pushes to dominate. Hank, who has been in the pack longer, resists and tries to put her back in line. It's not working because both are wanna-be-alpha-types so they end up fighting to draw blood... this could easily turn into a fight to death. I don't think the hip dysphasia had anything to do with this. It's just a coincidence.

How this can work: You establish your alpha ranking and put both dogs firmly in omega. That means, you'll have to pay close attention to your dogs at all times. If you're occupied and can't do this out of the corner of your eye, then they both get to stay in their kennels. You can tell when one starts to challenge the other because he will come stiff from head to tail, head down, eyes staring. Every time you see this, snap him right out of it and "put him in the corner". The object is to make both realize, you're firmly the boss of them because then, it will lessen their desire to dominate. Other ways to establish this is for you to control their food. They eat on your say so. There are other ways which can be google'd. Try googling "resource guarding", this would be the same concept.

If this does not work (both dogs remain aggressive in addition to alpha-wanna-be's), then you will have to keep them separate at all times, which may be accomplished by assigning a dog to their own part of the house.

Hope this helps. From experience, my husband successfully raised 2 un-neutered male alpha-type dobermans. Yes, he incurred $800 worth of stitches after both dogs ripped each other's throats out before my husband got them in line but that was their last bad fight ever and both dogs lived to be 12+ years old. My friend, however, could not get her boxer to get along with her other dog (she's a professional dog trainer) so the boxer lived in an outside dog condo.
    Last edited by anatess; 11-30-2013 at 03:23 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry about Honey, breaks my heart hearing stories like that

We rescued a male (Frasier) and female (Joey) bulldog a couple of years ago while the two bulldogs we already had were still young. It worked great for a while but once our male (Bennie) got older he and Frasier started these crazy fights, and with my husband being away working for weeks at the time we re-homed Frasier to our dog trainer who feel in love with him while trying to help us sort the situation out.

Our females Boeboe and Joey also started to get on eachothers nerve and we found out after taking Joey to the vet she had severe hip dyspalsia which most likely was the cause of her getting annoyed and after a while she just got enough of Boeboe.

While working with the dog trainer our dogs did really good and the peace would last for a while but after every fight we were back on zero again and they couldn't even see eachother without starting a fight. I'm no pack leader and I was stressing all the time while they were together which made the situation worse and unsustainable. We decided to split them up for everyones best and before someone got hurt. It works well for us but it sucks also not being able to have them all together... we live in a house with a big back and front yard and the house is split up in two areas so everyone has lots of space and I'm home all day so no one is alone. If I was more of a leader and my husband hadn't been away so much I think we could have sorted the situation out with some work with the trainer and effort from our side. The time was just not right back then I think you can do it according to our dog trainer aggression is the easiest behavioral problem to sort out and he did really good helping us. Frasier is now a part of his pack and he doesn't have any issues with Frasier being aggressive, but he's a leader and he knows what to look for and how to work with it. I'm rambling here, lol, my point is it can be sorted out

I just think friends or not, dogs should be separated when left alone, one can never know what will happen I hope it works out for you guys
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry you are going through this, first off, thank you for giving Lola a loving home and my best advise would be getting some training going as soon as possible! My two females have taken to fighting here lately, it can be very frustrating! What I've done to help work with the situation, when the girls get into a fight after I separate them I make them lay beside each other until they are completely calm ... I am top dog in our home so when I put them next to each other I stand right there and I won't let them move until they are completely relaxed. I always always always keep all of them separated, mine are all crate trained and feel strongly that it is the safest place for them when I can't be at home with them. Training and consistency are your best bet to get things back on track. taking a training class with both dogs will help but like advised above having a behaviorist come into your home would be excellent, that way they understand that what they are learning happens at home too. My first bulldog was the perfect "class" dog but at home she was a total brat more my fault than anything, I needed to learn to be the "Pack Leader" and didn't have the right composer at home and she fed off of it. With the 3 I have now, they have total respect for me and I have learned to always be consistent with everything in our home. My girls still get into a few fights but each time the same thing happens and they go for long periods of perfect companionship. I just have 1 girl (Madison) who doesn't understand how to play and she is the one who starts the fights and it is always when the other 2 are playing.

I hope things get better and please keep us updated.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank, Lola, Honey
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all. We have decided to send them to obedience school. This will be taking place within a few weeks. They will be trained away from us for 2wks. I'm a nervous wreck thinking of it. I know they need this more than anything but I can't stand the fact of my house being empty for 2wks!! I'll update everyone once the training is complete. Y'all have been such a big help!! I thank each and everyone of you! 🐶

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Wow, I can believe that must be so hard but I think you went for the best option. Training them at home can be hard and our emotions often gets in the way for success. I had to leave the room when we had our sessions cos my heart rate was blowing off the roof I'm looking forward to hear about the result and it's so great what you do for your fur kids
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads