Crystal
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper Potts
    Likes (Received)

Default Cesar's Way

Morning, everyone!

Well, Miss Pepper Potts continues to do awesome. My husband has FINALLY warmed up to her. He told me last night that she's beautiful and he does enjoy having her in our home. Awesome. He's also been encouraging me to continue working with her according to "Cesar's Way". I have a copy of that book and I've been reading it. Working with her seems to be doing well. She now hits the stairs without any issue, which is awesome. She's showing a LOT of promise to being a calm, submissive dog.

I have always admired Cesar Millan, especially in my line of work. Being a calm, assertive leader has really made a difference in my entire life. And I didn't even own a DOG! I don't walk Pepper the way Cesar does his pack, but Pepper seems to get her "migration" mode by coming to work with me. for instance, she will NOT eat until we have arrived at work, she's done her business in her usual spot and ALL THE ANIMALS I have at the shelter have eaten.

We have a little impulse control issue (OMG the shelter lobby doorbell short circuits her need to be with mama). She is definitely NOT food motivated. She won't do jack for a treat. She will, however, do just about anything to hear me praise her.

My question is, has anyone used the pack methods with their Bully? I'm just generally intrigued with how the methods work for a breed that can't handle a 5 mile hike every day!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by clightfoot; 11-13-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "You may judge Man by his treatment of animals."
    Happily married to my best friend & owned by two felines, three skin kids, and one adorable Bully.
    Who rescued who?

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cesar's Way

Quote Originally Posted by clightfoot View Post
    Morning, everyone!

Well, Miss Pepper Potts continues to do awesome. My husband has FINALLY warmed up to her. He told me last night that she's beautiful and he does enjoy having her in our home. Awesome. He's also been encouraging me to continue working with her according to "Cesar's Way". I have a copy of that book and I've been reading it. Working with her seems to be doing well. She now hits the stairs without any issue, which is awesome. She's showing a LOT of promise to being a calm, submissive dog.

I have always admired Cesar Millan, especially in my line of work. Being a calm, assertive leader has really made a difference in my entire life. And I didn't even own a DOG! I don't walk Pepper the way Cesar does his pack, but Pepper seems to get her "migration" mode by coming to work with me. for instance, she will NOT eat until we have arrived at work, she's done her business in her usual spot and ALL THE ANIMALS I have at the shelter have eaten.

We have a little impulse control issue (OMG the shelter lobby doorbell short circuits her need to be with mama). She is definitely NOT food motivated. She won't do jack for a treat. She will, however, do just about anything to hear me praise her.

My question is, has anyone used the pack methods with their Bully? I'm just generally intrigued with how the methods work for a breed that can't handle a 5 mile hike every day!

Thanks in advance!
    Yes while treats work very well with Sheldon I believe he gets more from the love and praise I shower him with when he does as I ask. That for the most part has been my method of training. I don't know that we have a pack method but he respects us all and knows where he stands in the family he's my baby and he knows it LOL!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Crystal
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper Potts
    Likes (Received)

Awesome, Jennifer! I only have Pepper as a canine companion, but she's seemed to assign pack-member-pecking-order to all of us. First and foremost, she knows not to mess with mama, except with the impulse issues. I think that's mainly her age, though. I think she does see the cats and my hubby/daughter as weird looking dogs. The cats are even settling. She knows that if she antagonizes them, Imma let them defend themselves and vice versa.

Of course, her stubborn streak does like to rear its wrinkled head every now and then, but she knows when I mean business and she lays down. Its really interesting how much she picks up from my body language!
    "You may judge Man by his treatment of animals."
    Happily married to my best friend & owned by two felines, three skin kids, and one adorable Bully.
    Who rescued who?

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

yes they are very keen on our emotions and body language.

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We use pack leader due to Banks being overly dominate in personality, so she has to work for everything she gets and we do short walks to get her energy down and keep her in line. she walks next to or behind us, if not we stop and she has to sit. Banks is not big on praise.. she is totally food motivated and will do ANYTHING for a treat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Ceased way all the way! Consistency, repetition, reward positive behaviour, firm, and clicker training... Great combination in my world .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads