Potty Training

chipper65

Nov 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chummly
Looking for some helpful tips about potty training our new guy Chummly. This is our 1st Bully and seeking what others did to successfully train there's
20131110_153326_zps6752660a.jpg

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
When I brought Ace home I took him out every two hours day or night, every two hours I took him outside to do his business if he needed to. Also when he was younger along with the every two hours I would take him out after every meal and after he got all frisky and excited playing in case he needed to. Within a week to ten days he was potty trained

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I brought Ace home I took him out every two hours day or night, every two hours I took him outside to do his business if he needed to. Also when he was younger along with the every two hours I would take him out after every meal and after he got all frisky and excited playing in case he needed to. Within a week to ten days he was potty trained

Rural mystic's way is exactly how I potty train-but my dogs(pups) take longer to GET it-they go on the puppy pads and outside. Just takes them longer until I can get rid of the puppy pads.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Ditto to what [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] said and I will add that a kennel or crate is a must, as they do not wish to soil where they sleep. Just take him out every two hours, including at night and after every meal and playtime. We used a bell on the door to train Mayhem and he is 8 months old now and still uses it every time he wants to go outside to do his business. Just remember to throw a party every time Chummly does his business outside.......positive praise for a job well done is the key :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advice above and I also agree, get a wire crate to sleep in and that will help. Plus do not do like some people and restrict water from your baby. That is a myth and should not be done as it does not help speed up the process and is unhealthy for your baby. Always keep plenty of fresh clean water available to you pup 24/7. Also feed your pup 3 times a day until around 5 months of age, then go to 2 times a day. We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the punk bag and have always had good results from this.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is 5 months old and FINALLY starting to get it. I do pretty much what is mentioned above- He sleeps in his crate and is in there when he is home alone. I take him out about once every hour-hour and a half when I'm home with him, and I always praise him when he goes outside. The big hurdle as of late is that he started the "excited pee" phase so although he has been pretty good as of late with little to no accidents, when someone comes in and starts giving him attention right away, he tinkles. A friend of mine got his bully at 6 months and he did this at first, and it went away. So I'm hoping it's just a phase for Rocco.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Ditto to what @Rural mystic said and I will add that a kennel or crate is a must, as they do not wish to soil where they sleep. Just take him out every two hours, including at night and after every meal and playtime. We used a bell on the door to train Mayhem and he is 8 months old now and still uses it every time he wants to go outside to do his business. Just remember to throw a party every time Chummly does his business outside.......positive praise for a job well done is the key :)

My two girls seemed perfectly potty trained until just recently where they have teken up only peeing on their bed inside their crate, either at night or during the day when they are locked inside. So annoying to wakeup/come home to a kitchen that smells liek dog pee. But as far as orginally training them, the crate worked great.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
My two girls seemed perfectly potty trained until just recently where they have teken up only peeing on their bed inside their crate, either at night or during the day when they are locked inside. So annoying to wakeup/come home to a kitchen that smells liek dog pee. But as far as orginally training them, the crate worked great.

Mayhem cannot have any bedding in his crate. He will pee on it as well. This seems fairly common with many of the bullies on this forum. He does fine, as long as I don't put any bedding in the crate.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Mayhem cannot have any bedding in his crate. He will pee on it as well. This seems fairly common with many of the bullies on this forum. He does fine, as long as I don't put any bedding in the crate.

I keep reading about this solution, but what do they sleep on? Hard plastic? Baxter will be so unbelievably uncomfortable like that. He can't get into a position where he is comfortable, and he adjusts every 5 minutes. Groaning and moaning because of how uncomfortable he is. Especially with his small wind pipe, laying on a cement-like surface all night can't be good for him. Let alone his joints. Its got to mess up their back or hips sleeping like that. Exactly like it would do us. I realize they will pee on their stuff otherwise, but I am not sure this is healthy for them either. Especially with all the arthritis they get. Any thoughts?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I keep reading about this solution, but what do they sleep on? Hard plastic? Baxter will be so unbelievably uncomfortable like that. He can't get into a position where he is comfortable, and he adjusts every 5 minutes. Groaning and moaning because of how uncomfortable he is. Especially with his small wind pipe, laying on a cement-like surface all night can't be good for him. Let alone his joints. Its got to mess up their back or hips sleeping like that. Exactly like it would do us. I realize they will pee on their stuff otherwise, but I am not sure this is healthy for them either. Especially with all the arthritis they get. Any thoughts?

I REALLY struggled with this with my older bully, Linus. He was getting old and his legs were still but when I'd put a nice orthopedic foam bed under him in his crate, inevitably, he'd wake up UNDER it. He didn't like sleeping on stuff at all yet I continued to worry about his comfort. Then came the epiphany, courtesy of my vet: if he's not bothered by it, why are you? They are not people, they are canines. And many, many, many of them are just as happy (if not more so) sleeping in an empty crate where they can spread out and cool off than a padded or blanketed area.

Truman was similar. (He had major hip surgery at 10 weeks) I couldn't trust him with bedding so he got none until I could trust him, which I now am able to do.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Lily loves sleeping on the floor too ,i cant physically make her sleep in the bed ;-)

You received some great advice .Potty training bulldog was something else for us -it wasn't as quick and easy as with any other dog we had -my tip patience patience and a bit more patience ;-)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.