So...afraid of stairs?

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
OK, so Pepper Potts is pretty much perfect. House trained, leash trained, won't leave my side off leash, plays fetch until she can't breathe.

We have one issue. Our apartment is upstairs and this girl will NOT go up the stairs. She comes down just fine. I've tried treats, leading, pulling her one step at a time and nada.

Any ideas? I can't keep carrying her! (I totally will, but I do have a toddler that has to be helped as well!)

:confused:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep trying to lure her on leash with treats.... one step at a time. it is going to take a lot of patience, but if you keep carrying her she will not move till you pick her up. She will get it.... also, fine a treat that she holds very valuable -- cooked meat, apple slice, carrots, frozen green bean... something she LOVES and then only use it for training on the steps. Once she is going up on her own, then the treat can be used for other things

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Keep trying to lure her on leash with treats.... one step at a time. it is going to take a lot of patience, but if you keep carrying her she will not move till you pick her up. She will get it.... also, fine a treat that she holds very valuable -- cooked meat, apple slice, carrots, frozen green bean... something she LOVES and then only use it for training on the steps. Once she is going up on her own, then the treat can be used for other things

Totally agree w/Christine...bullies are 1000 % FOOD MOTIVATED so use that
to your advantage. Only use that treat for luring her up the stairs, be patient,
kind & persistent, it will happen! Bullies are ocd about the weirdest things so
she's normal for a bully and very well behaved, you lucked out, GF.

OP
clightfoot

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
If this is her only OCD thing, I'm the luckiest Bully-mama ever. Ok, so find the 'jackpot' treat (Yes, I'm using My Cat from Hell references for a dog. Don't judge me) and only use that for the stairs. Ok. We can do this. Now the fun of finding that jackpot treat.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The fact that she can see through the stairs is what freaks her out, but as others have said use a treat motivator and hopefully she will get over this.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Great advice given I wouldn't try and force her as this might give her more scare and you want her not to be afraid if it

OP
clightfoot

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
Thanks everyone for the advice. So far, she ignores peanut butter, YappleNapples and chicken. Its ok, we're working on it. She does love the tennis ball, wonder if that would work? I remembered last night that I have a copy of Cesar's Way, so I'm starting that as well. I figured it might be that she can see through the stairs and this morning she did a little better with me more confident.

Its going to take some time. We got this!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for the advice. So far, she ignores peanut butter, YappleNapples and chicken. Its ok, we're working on it. She does love the tennis ball, wonder if that would work? I remembered last night that I have a copy of Cesar's Way, so I'm starting that as well. I figured it might be that she can see through the stairs and this morning she did a little better with me more confident.

Its going to take some time. We got this!

your mind set definitely plays a role in her confidence..... Can't wait to see the post of her making it up the stairs with no issue .... Good luck

OP
clightfoot

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
UPDATE!

This morning, Pepper and I were finished with our walk. I took the kiddo upstairs first, then went back for Pepper. She sat, I looked at her and said "Ok, kid, we're doing this". I just started walking and...after two stumbles, she LEAPED up the stairs. After church, I did it the same way and...AGAIN! I am so proud! I know we're going to get to a point that she's running up on her own. I'm so proud. She got loves and a treat.

My mindset was "We're doing this, Cesar's Way" & she followed. It was almost as good as my daughter's first words!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Good for you! Quick work,gal! Super-trainer.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Yayyyyy!!!!!!!! Success. So happy for you. Exceptionally high value treats combined with your confidence is the best training tool for phobic behaviours. Had to do the stair thing with Miss Tallulah - careful little soul that she is. Buster is just a machine- no worries. There may be some slip ups in the future - there was with Miss T occasionally on stairs - but just be patient if it happens and start at the beginning. It will resolve quickly. Love happy endings :yes:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
LOVED reading the update!! So happy Bullies are so responsive to positive reinforcement and knowing who is boss. I absolutely LOVE your attitude about this as well! So happy you have joined with us!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE!

This morning, Pepper and I were finished with our walk. I took the kiddo upstairs first, then went back for Pepper. She sat, I looked at her and said "Ok, kid, we're doing this". I just started walking and...after two stumbles, she LEAPED up the stairs. After church, I did it the same way and...AGAIN! I am so proud! I know we're going to get to a point that she's running up on her own. I'm so proud. She got loves and a treat.

My mindset was "We're doing this, Cesar's Way" & she followed. It was almost as good as my daughter's first words!

FANTASTIC!!!!

Most Reactions