Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Don't know if this will make you feel better or not but Cami came to me
not potty trained at 5 1/2 so was difficult but 4 months later she even signals
and then if I'm not paying attention, one sharp bark. She even goes out in the
rain! Then my sister visited with her whippet, don't know if the 'lil nervous dog
dribbled while on my bed but after they left, Cami soaked my bed
:w00t: I put it
off to 'marking' and reiterated the rules. Then I found she'd pee'd in my living
room a time or two~I had been in bed w/fatigue so figured she couldn't wake
me. With Cami it only takes a couple of pees and she's reverted to her old ways.
I have to go back to really being on top of her actions AND, rewarding each time
she poos & pees outside. So...I feel your pain! As Baxter matures, I believe he
will get better, you are training him, he does get he's not supposed to go in the
house (I'm sure doggy daycare does get him offtrack) and he'll be able to hold
it longer as he gets older. Hang in there,my friend!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The more I think about this the more I believe its the doggy daycare.

They are great. But they toss all the dogs into one big "dog park" (indoor). And while there is someone in the room to break up fights, and they claim they take the dogs out oevery couple hours, I know Baxter. He will go every couple minutes if he feels free to. When I took him to the regular park, he literally pee'd 9 times in 1 hour on the grass. I couldn't believe how many times he did it.

I am going to have to talk to the doggy park people about this, because its such a monumental task to train him. I won't keep bringing him there if its going to just be undone in one day. He is at that stage where he knows where to go .... but he also doesn't know he shouldn't pee on solid surfaces.

When I take him to the car in the parking garage, he always goes on the cement, on the way there. Its that kind of thing I want to train him not to do.

But at the doggy park, its a free for all, and nobody is training or watching him.

Baxter has been "fully trained" for awhile, but he has these strange "backsliding" events after the doggy park. He also now barks incessantly, which he never did before spending all day around those loud, barking dogs.

I take him there to get exercise and socialized, but its very likely he's also learning some bad behaviors that counter his training.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I think you have it figured out. It is just too complex for our little Bullies when there are too many different situations all with different expectations. I would try to find a different daycare where potty is done outside and rewarded. And just go back to the drawing board at home. Find another super special high value treat and begin again. It will go faster this time. Also I was taught not to let your dog see you clean up their mess and to ignore it until they are not present. Apparently paying attention to their accident can be a reward in itself to them. Something about nurturing (?) When they potty outside there is always a treat. 100% consistent. I did this for a year with Miss Tallulah and never had an accident once we got the rhythm of it at about 12 weeks old. Now she doesn't need or look for any reward. Little Buster is following in her footsteps and still gets a wee treat. Potty training can be so frustrating if there is not consistency and the daycare is really mixing it up. I gave up on daycare and have a person come over to "potty and play" with B and T half way through the day when I work. At the dog park though Buster will mark every tree and bush. Never knew the little guy could have so much pee stored up for the park in his little bully body. I wish you every success.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online