Help Needed! Marking in home

Maksmomma

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Deano
Please help, my awesome bulldog Mack, 4 yrs old and fixed, "marks" in the house when left alone while me and hubby are at work etc. He goes in phases, sometimes will do daily, or can go days, week with no marking. We recently lost our dog walker who would come mid day ( however it didn't stop him from marking also) I just feel more guilty, we also have a Cavachon- our dog groomer has been helping out- I drop them off on way to work M-W-F and they stay there for the day, on Tu-Thurs she comes by to walk them. Today for example she dropped them off in home at 3pm, hubby got home at 3:15 and he peed near recliner (usual spot) when he does pee, I am sure to scrub area/chair fully using bleach/ vinegar. I have recently resorted to trying "tinkle belts" which groomer forgot to put on him today when brought home. I have been putting them on him Tue/Thurs for past week and he has done well w/out peeing in one until this Tues he had peed in it when groomer got there so she applied a new one when she left and he peed again in the 2nd one. This "marking" has been causing a great deal of friction w/ me and hubby, as Mack was never properly trained when a puppy- husband rescued him from a friend prior to us meeting at approx 8 months of age- I came into his life around 10 months. He has always had behavior of peeing in house but seems worse, more often. I know he hates to be alone (without humans) he never pees at groomers even with all the scents etc. when we walk him outside morning/afternoon he marks all over the place, at least 10 times walking around block. Can anyone provide any suggestions? I also have a crate for him which I tried locking him in, but he will pee in there and lie in it, so now I keep door open and he hasn't peed in it...Sorry so lengthy, wanted to be thorough...Any help would be much appreciated, seen recently at vet, healthy, no urine infection. Thanks!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hmmm...I was going to suggest crating him but I see you do that already. I have no more ideas but others will be along soon to help out. Welcome to the site. How about some pics of your baby?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hmm, are you sure he's marking? You said he was never properly trained so maybe he just doesn't know to hold it?

You also said he has a usual spot where he goes, try leaving a pee pad there and see it that'll do the trick. Other than that, you may need to re-train him to go outside.

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
It sounds like you're going to have to start from scratch on potty training. If he's laying in it in his crate, that's definitely an issue. My suggestion would be to put him in a place (such as the kitchen) where you can baby gate him off and put down potty pads. If he pees on the floor make sure to put the wiped up pee on the potty pad so that way he knows where to go.

Good luck!

OP
M

Maksmomma

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Deano
I was afraid if I left a pee pad there it would encourage him to pee there

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/ [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] sounds like you will have to start w/the basics. Maybe he was never fully trained... The way we used the pee pads were to get Winston to use them and slowly move them towards the door, and finally outside on the grass. That way at least you can control where he IS going, and be able to keep up w/the spots. If they smell it anywhere, they will continue to have accidents there... Good Luck!!! :D

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
The main issue is that he doesn't know where to pee / where not to pee. The purpose of pee pads is to train them on where to pee and then gradually move it outside so that they understand that they should be going outside instead of inside.

He's peeing inside now in that same spot because it smells to him like pee and that automatically triggers in his brain for him to continue to pee there.

Does that make sense?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.