Help Needed! Deaf Puppy!!

Amy72

Oct 29, 2013
I bought a 14 week female pup, and got her home and settled and slowly realized she is deaf...we have had her about 3 weeks, I love her to pieces, just don't know how to train her as far as biting me. She's just playing, but she bites hard, hard enough to draw blood....I don't want to pop her every time she does this...she doesn't know she is hurting me cause she can't hear me yell or tell her NO!! I stop playing with her when she does it, but she just keeps coming back for more...I look her right in the eyes, mean face and put my hand up and mouth NO....nothing is working....HELP PLEASE!!

Amy72

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] she has a deaf dog that she trained I tagged her in this comment I imagine she has some great tips

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Jennifer you read my mind. I was also going to suggest pati. The video of how she trained her dog is nothing short of amazing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Right! First thing first
Puppies /dogs in general don't know english language -they learn thrugh repetition of the word , they are masters of reading face expressions -same rule apply for deaf dog - teaching deaf dog something is easier than you think .you just got to be creative and forget that hes deaf
Rather than speak commands you using hand signals (i still talk to shy so she can clearly read my face expressions) -sit -is the first and easiest command you can teach your dog (on shy blog there is sit and lie down video that i explained how we did it -check out bellasears.weebly.com)
Once you master sit -give thumbs up -or whatever signal you chose and treat and praise

I decided that i will make my own signs so there is slim chance someone else will use mine and if there is other deafie around shy wont "listen" to other owner commands

Another thing for you to realise that in fact having a deaf dog put you in a winning position when it comes to training with distractions- busy street,park etc - you dont have to worry
And you wont be one of the owner who constantly shouts around the park lol

Deaf dogs do well off the lead -you need to teach him to "check in" -when we are walking in the leash i give shy a treat every 20-30 sec -after a while you will notice that your dog will automatically turn for the treat every so often -i call it a muscle memory-something that will be in his blood once he get used to it-i still offer a treat for that but not every time shy turn

Biting-welcome in a puppyhood-every puppy bites -on that look into conventional methods of positive reinforcement -deaf or not-you can redirect his attention by offering a toy instead of your hand -a "no" signal with angry face helps if pup decides to bite your hand instead of his toy that you offered , stand up and ignore him for few seconds

Be prepared deaf dogs are often velcro dogs-they love to be with you and often can suffer from separation anxiety -to prevent it teach him that it is ok to leave him for short time as you will come back home -again treat it like with any dog

So you see its not that hard -just have to think a bit different-defies are just like any other dogs

I remember that i thought shy a "trick a day" for first month so it was super easy x

So sorry for a short post im having a tough time atm but if you need any help let know im happy to explain few things or do a "how to" video

Shy knows 46 or 47 commands now but i stopped her training long time ago -she knows so much as she helps my disabled hubby around the house
No professional trainer wanted to train her so i thought stuff them i do it myself -saved me loads of money + the bond we got is unbreakable

Last edited:

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I wish I would have know about EBN before. Stinky has a sister that is deaf and the breeder wanted to know if I would like to buy her. Leon and I talked about it for a few days. I couldnt see how we could do it. We both work. I didn't know how to train a deaf dog. Leon was afraid she would get all the attention and Stinky would be left out.I was afraid of living in the country with a deaf dog.Wondered if she got lost? Or ran in the road? As you can see we didnt get her. She did find a great home with one of her half brothers. I have learned so much on here..thanks!

OP
Amy72

Amy72

Oct 29, 2013
Pati, thank you so much for the information... I am gonna start working with her on signs tonight...first one I think I need to start with is NO....My baby Sophie is very sweet 75% of the time, but that other 25% is really bad...I use to have two other bullys.... I know the breed...I knew what to expect with her, or so I thought. I have bought her probably 10 chew toys, keep them with us when she's in her playful mood. She is just REALLY aggressive. She has an older sister,Boston Terrier and an older brother, Pit bull....that have taken her in...but when she gets a little rough and they bark at her or growl...of course she can't hear and keeps playing rough...I don't want her to get hurt...unless I am in the room then I keep them a part. She is kind of learning when they say enough....but still hasn't from me. My son tells me all the time...to quit telling her No ..she can't hear u...but I get her attention and let her see my face and put my hand up..like STOP. Sometimes she does, and I give her the tumbs up and pet her. I have not tried giving her treats yet...but we will.
As far as you saying "the Velcro dog" oh wow ...she is so that....she can't sleep or won't sleep unless she is on my neck. If I move, she moves...if I leave the room, she cries...(funny,loud,bulldog cry) .. I am a stay at home Mom to teenage boys, plus my fur babies, so she is never really left at home alone for long... we live in the country, on a dead end dirt road....but she dont like to leave the porch....her fur brother or sister have to go with her or one of us...and she never leaves our side....I love that part..... sorry to ramble....I was just at a loss at what to do...I NEVER want to hit my dog, but when she would make me bleed from playing, I just didn't know what else I can do...as I type this....she is trying to bite my phone and the cord... having to stop and show her NO....learning to live with a BEAUTIFUL, stubborn, new best friend Thanks guys

Amy72

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok,from what i have learned bulldog is one of the kind -i had pitbulls,amstaffs,american bulldogs and few foster bully breeds-but EB is something else lol
Saying "or signing no" all the time wont help -start from positive things when teaching her new things -treats are your weapon (but adjust her food accordingly as i didnt and Shy got very fat!)
Keep training short but do it often -she wont get bored then ;-)
When it comes to not hearing other dogs growl -did you know that dogs also have "facial and eye expressions?" We cant see it but other dogs do -also there is a saying that no adult dog should hurt a pup -they could teach her manners and rules that are in their own pack

We had a dog that we adopted after we had Shy - (shy was 8-9 months old then) he was attacking shy i mean full blown aggression over nothing -but each time even tho ge could attack her when she was looking at me she knew what was coming -i used to think what would happen to her if someone attacked her and her being deaf it would be horrible -well i managed to survive 6 months of fights and with bleeding heart we had to return this dog back to the shelter -even they agreed its not safe

As a last resort we also used spray water bottle when No meant No! -but only when Shy became pain in the backside with her biting -not to often

Being a bulldog lol they tend to be slow with learning -they quite "slow" thinking dogs lol

Try to divide time between all of your dogs giving them a bit of 1 on 1 and maybe a group training ,or play -it will keep all the dogs happy and less jealous ;-)

I forgot to say well done for keeping your deafie and not returning her to the breeder ,i send you a pm

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Hiya just checking how are you all doing and of course where are the pictures of your fur baby xx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.