She will not listen to me!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I too had a hard time when Otis was younger, I thought I'd never get through it and that I had a "devil" on my hands - hang tough, it does get better as they get older. If I can suggest a couple of things - a water bottle to spray at her when she bites (Otis hated it) or when she starts biting put her on her lease and put the lease on a door knob in your house and calmly tell her NO, once she calms down, take her off and try again, if no better back to the leash/door knob. GOOD LUCK! It's so hard.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Omgoodness Daisy has the most precious lil face! You will need a lot of patience but don't worry she'll get there. Talk to her and keep talking to her she will understand and when she's biting on you a firm 'no bite' and redirect her to a toy will work. It will take time but they are very smart except I find the girls to be lil divas and harder to train than the boys. Good luck!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well she does seem to be stubborn for sure. But I truly believe your dog can become tractable given the time and perseverance. I may have mentioned in one of your threads before if not somewhere in the forum when a similar situation was discussed that in the beginning I had to coax Ace to walk on lead but although at the very beginning he was reluctant it only took one outing and a few times of coaxing for him to get it. I would literally pick him up and stand him and use a treat to go a few steps, with a lot of joyful encouragement and kept repeating and in the first lesson he was going good and we have never looked back. He loves taking walks, put the harness or prong collar on and he is ready to go and will load himself in the front seat of my pickup when we go for a ride. If I was having a similar situation as you are then I would use whatever means necessary and if simple coaxing and treats didn't work [ and I would really keep trying with joyful enthusiasm ] but if that just didn't work even with all efforts then I would escalate the method. By that I mean if you haven't already tried one perhaps a well made prong collar to help her get the message. Used correctly a well made prong collar is safer than a traditional collar and will not hurt or injure the dog or else I wouldn't use one. If you decide to try a prong collar then message me and I will share the proper way to fit it and use it. Some of the images on the internet on how to fit the collar are incorrect. I have been to two trainers and the first one fit the collar [very experienced trainers with guard and k9 type training ] but things didn't go well with them and I went to another trainer and when she saw the collar she said it wasn't fitted right and when I changed the way it fit the dog responded better and the collar was more comfortable

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It really is actually easier to raise two pups(a little hectic on housebreaking) than one. One pup alone will be more devoted to you, in the beginning, but with two-you don't get all the biting and roughness on you, because they play alot with each other!Then they tire out! You still have the routine of "explaining" that they do not bite YOU, but it is less frequent!
Have you tried a water bottle-squirt? or a new rough sound-instead of NO-like QUIT! or AAAAT!? Or a can of rocks, or coins that she may not like the sound of it when you shake it? She may have heard" no" so much, that it is ignored. Spanking doesn't really do any good. A new unpleasant sound-or ignoring-I had one biter,(pup) who, if I turned my back, and told Nope, I,m NOT playing-she would just stop. That was TOO easy! Sometimes the "standard" doesn't work, and you have to get creative to see what "will" work for your pup. Good Luck! You have to figure it out soon, or you will get "NO RESPECT"! :detective2:

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I too had a hard time when Otis was younger, I thought I'd never get through it and that I had a "devil" on my hands - hang tough, it does get better as they get older. If I can suggest a couple of things - a water bottle to spray at her when she bites (Otis hated it) or when she starts biting put her on her lease and put the lease on a door knob in your house and calmly tell her NO, once she calms down, take her off and try again, if no better back to the leash/door knob. GOOD LUCK! It's so hard.
The leash on the door is a good idea thanks! And I always forget about the water bottle! thanks :)

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It really is actually easier to raise two pups(a little hectic on housebreaking) than one. One pup alone will be more devoted to you, in the beginning, but with two-you don't get all the biting and roughness on you, because they play alot with each other!Then they tire out! You still have the routine of "explaining" that they do not bite YOU, but it is less frequent!
Have you tried a water bottle-squirt? or a new rough sound-instead of NO-like QUIT! or AAAAT!? Or a can of rocks, or coins that she may not like the sound of it when you shake it? She may have heard" no" so much, that it is ignored. Spanking doesn't really do any good. A new unpleasant sound-or ignoring-I had one biter,(pup) who, if I turned my back, and told Nope, I,m NOT playing-she would just stop. That was TOO easy! Sometimes the "standard" doesn't work, and you have to get creative to see what "will" work for your pup. Good Luck! You have to figure it out soon, or you will get "NO RESPECT"! :detective2:

No with the water bottle but yes with everything else..lol She doesnt care if I ignore her. She hated the can of rocks at first then started attacking. Different sounds besides no when biting do not work! lol My thing is, is why is it just with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Well she does seem to be stubborn for sure. But I truly believe your dog can become tractable given the time and perseverance. I may have mentioned in one of your threads before if not somewhere in the forum when a similar situation was discussed that in the beginning I had to coax Ace to walk on lead but although at the very beginning he was reluctant it only took one outing and a few times of coaxing for him to get it. I would literally pick him up and stand him and use a treat to go a few steps, with a lot of joyful encouragement and kept repeating and in the first lesson he was going good and we have never looked back. He loves taking walks, put the harness or prong collar on and he is ready to go and will load himself in the front seat of my pickup when we go for a ride. If I was having a similar situation as you are then I would use whatever means necessary and if simple coaxing and treats didn't work [ and I would really keep trying with joyful enthusiasm ] but if that just didn't work even with all efforts then I would escalate the method. By that I mean if you haven't already tried one perhaps a well made prong collar to help her get the message. Used correctly a well made prong collar is safer than a traditional collar and will not hurt or injure the dog or else I wouldn't use one. If you decide to try a prong collar then message me and I will share the proper way to fit it and use it. Some of the images on the internet on how to fit the collar are incorrect. I have been to two trainers and the first one fit the collar [very experienced trainers with guard and k9 type training ] but things didn't go well with them and I went to another trainer and when she saw the collar she said it wasn't fitted right and when I changed the way it fit the dog responded better and the collar was more comfortable

Im ok with the prong. We had to get one in training class for her. But I always seem to forget about it. Have to dig it out again!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
The leash on the door is a good idea thanks! And I always forget about the water bottle! thanks :)
Spray at her bum or face, whichever she dislikes the most. She looks so sweet, finding it hard to believe she even acts like that....jk ;)

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Spray at her bum or face, whichever she dislikes the most. She looks so sweet, finding it hard to believe she even acts like that....jk ;)

Lol I know right??? We go out and shes all friendly and well behaved for the most part... Im like ha... be at home with her...Shes a lil devil!!! lol

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
! lol My thing is, is why is it just with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Without actually watching the interaction it would be hard to know, but my guess is that it may be your demeanor. Even though Ace is pretty well behaved when he does get a bit unruly or get something he shouldn't have and my wife doesn't have any success then she will call me and I can get Ace to mind. My wife is petite and gentle and seldom raises her voice and I have mentioned to her when she can't get him to mind that she needs to be more assertive, act like the boss and play the part convincingly and the dog will believe it.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

Sheldon responds to the ignoring turning my back and saying no I'm not playing if he growls to roughly I drop the toy and turn my back and tell him I'm not playing if your going to be mean. He gets the picture. But then again even when he sounds super mean I can kiss him on the nose.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
! lol My thing is, is why is it just with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Without actually watching the interaction it would be hard to know, but my guess is that it may be your demeanor. Even though Ace is pretty well behaved when he does get a bit unruly or get something he shouldn't have and my wife doesn't have any success then she will call me and I can get Ace to mind. My wife is petite and gentle and seldom raises her voice and I have mentioned to her when she can't get him to mind that she needs to be more assertive, act like the boss and play the part convincingly and the dog will believe it.

That was brought up to me by a friend also. But I get firm with her. Like when she is trying to steal my clothes (while Im folding laundry) I will have pick her up, get the clothes from out of her mouth, tell her no loudly and move her to a new location. Then of course she will do it again. So I dont think its because Im too gentle with her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok so Daisy has always been different with me than with my bf. Ive told you guys before, Im her chew toy. And it still hasnt changed. She listens to my Bf with no problem. He can lay on the couch with her and she behaves. And she does not bite him!!! Me on the other hand, she constantly grabs my clothes. Plays tug of war with my sleeves, will not listed to me (unless I have food in hand) and she is always getting in to things. One thing I will say is that she will stop the biting 90% of the time if I scratch or rub on her. But I cant do that 24/7 nor should I have to. This weekend was worse than it has been in awhile. She was in time out several times. And I hate having to do that, especially since Im home with her all day and I love to keep her out. And taking her for walks is out of the question. She still hates them . She will only walk to the end of my street and then just pull for me to go back towards the house then when I give in she will try her best to run home. Im going to enroll her in doggy daycare soon so Im hoping that will help her. I really think this is a dominance thing. Cause Im the only one she fihgts with.

Any tips :yell:

I think she has been trained/trained you to play and do this as a part of her way to bond and play with you. Only way to stop it is to actually stop it, don't let it happen at all anymore even if it means putting her in time out, getting up from where she is at, ect.

When she stops because you are petting her, that tells me this may be her way of communicating to you that she wants you to scratch and rub her. So what I would do is praise her when you pet and scratch her when she is not biting. But the minute she starts it you have to lay down the law. Have you tried coins in a can or canned air?

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I think she has been trained/trained you to play and do this as a part of her way to bond and play with you. Only way to stop it is to actually stop it, don't let it happen at all anymore even if it means putting her in time out, getting up from where she is at, ect.

When she stops because you are petting her, that tells me this may be her way of communicating to you that she wants you to scratch and rub her. So what I would do is praise her when you pet and scratch her when she is not biting. But the minute she starts it you have to lay down the law. Have you tried coins in a can or canned air?

Ya I thought maybe that she thought it was playing. But she gets really mean and angry about it sometimes. I have to pick her up and take her to her crate most of the time and she will try to nip at my face when I do this. It does not have a playful vibe to it at all.

And yes weve tried everything I can think of except the water bottle. Im gonna try that tonight. I am really thinking its a dominance thing, since she doesnt do this to my bf at all. She wont even nip at him. And I do get firm with her, she just doesnt seem to care. She gets in this attack mode that she wont stop. If I do get my sleeves away she will grab at any body part she can. Shes so mean when she gets like that!

gmendoza3

Nov 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximo
[MENTION=8883]Sheena[/MENTION] Just read alll of your comments on here. Im curious to find out if your bully got any better? My bully is 6 months and ive been experiencing THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I almost feel like theres no respect for me at all and Im the one that shows maximo the most attention (maybe thats why) Im thinking of calling a local in home trainer its $300 though! but im desperate!my beautiful puppy is getting impossible. I just cant keep yelling at him if hes not listening to me. He bites at my feet walks all over me on the couch and snaps at my hands to the point where i have bruises on them.

let me know if anything worked for you?

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
[MENTION=8883]Sheena[/MENTION] Just read alll of your comments on here. Im curious to find out if your bully got any better? My bully is 6 months and ive been experiencing THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I almost feel like theres no respect for me at all and Im the one that shows maximo the most attention (maybe thats why) Im thinking of calling a local in home trainer its $300 though! but im desperate!my beautiful puppy is getting impossible. I just cant keep yelling at him if hes not listening to me. He bites at my feet walks all over me on the couch and snaps at my hands to the point where i have bruises on them.

let me know if anything worked for you?

Hey :) well she will be 9 months next week and things have changed! She's calmed down. A lot! The water bottle thing did help. I'm thinking its just an age thing. That's all I can think of right now. But if something crosses my mind ill let you know!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online