The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: She will not listen to me!

Bully puppies love to play and sometimes have to be reminded of their boundaries. Amber as a puppy chased the cat non-stop and we had to constantly reminder her not to. One or two commands won't to it; constant reinforcement is the best advise I can give you. That and consistency; don't let her chew on you at all if you are to teach her to stop it. Make sure you have a toy close at hand so she knows the toy is what she is to chew on. Two bullies is definitely easier than one because they chew on each other. Amber was tough in the chewing stage but when we got Ruby the two of them rough house with each other and we didn't have to work so hard on teaching Ruby not to chew on us. Just be patient, consistent, and keep reinforcing the standards and she will get it. Time and patience is key; Good luck.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    Bully puppies love to play and sometimes have to be reminded of their boundaries. Amber as a puppy chased the cat non-stop and we had to constantly reminder her not to. One or two commands won't to it; constant reinforcement is the best advise I can give you. That and consistency; don't let her chew on you at all if you are to teach her to stop it. Make sure you have a toy close at hand so she knows the toy is what she is to chew on. Two bullies is definitely easier than one because they chew on each other. Amber was tough in the chewing stage but when we got Ruby the two of them rough house with each other and we didn't have to work so hard on teaching Ruby not to chew on us. Just be patient, consistent, and keep reinforcing the standards and she will get it. Time and patience is key; Good luck.
    I totally get what you are saying but its like "no" means nothing to her. She grabs my sleevs on a regular basis. NOthing phases her. Telling her no. Spatting her on the butt, calmly trying to get my shirt out of her mouth. She doesnt care. At that moment in time she just wants to be mean. lol

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
    Ive said that I think Daisy considers me one of her litter mates... lol Shes ridiculous. I just need her to understand that I am boss.... Not her!
    In Daisy's pics she looks like a bossy bit of goods LOL

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I too had a hard time when Otis was younger, I thought I'd never get through it and that I had a "devil" on my hands - hang tough, it does get better as they get older. If I can suggest a couple of things - a water bottle to spray at her when she bites (Otis hated it) or when she starts biting put her on her lease and put the lease on a door knob in your house and calmly tell her NO, once she calms down, take her off and try again, if no better back to the leash/door knob. GOOD LUCK! It's so hard.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Omgoodness Daisy has the most precious lil face! You will need a lot of patience but don't worry she'll get there. Talk to her and keep talking to her she will understand and when she's biting on you a firm 'no bite' and redirect her to a toy will work. It will take time but they are very smart except I find the girls to be lil divas and harder to train than the boys. Good luck!

Cheerio mates!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Well she does seem to be stubborn for sure. But I truly believe your dog can become tractable given the time and perseverance. I may have mentioned in one of your threads before if not somewhere in the forum when a similar situation was discussed that in the beginning I had to coax Ace to walk on lead but although at the very beginning he was reluctant it only took one outing and a few times of coaxing for him to get it. I would literally pick him up and stand him and use a treat to go a few steps, with a lot of joyful encouragement and kept repeating and in the first lesson he was going good and we have never looked back. He loves taking walks, put the harness or prong collar on and he is ready to go and will load himself in the front seat of my pickup when we go for a ride. If I was having a similar situation as you are then I would use whatever means necessary and if simple coaxing and treats didn't work [ and I would really keep trying with joyful enthusiasm ] but if that just didn't work even with all efforts then I would escalate the method. By that I mean if you haven't already tried one perhaps a well made prong collar to help her get the message. Used correctly a well made prong collar is safer than a traditional collar and will not hurt or injure the dog or else I wouldn't use one. If you decide to try a prong collar then message me and I will share the proper way to fit it and use it. Some of the images on the internet on how to fit the collar are incorrect. I have been to two trainers and the first one fit the collar [very experienced trainers with guard and k9 type training ] but things didn't go well with them and I went to another trainer and when she saw the collar she said it wasn't fitted right and when I changed the way it fit the dog responded better and the collar was more comfortable
    Last edited by Rural mystic; 10-28-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

It really is actually easier to raise two pups(a little hectic on housebreaking) than one. One pup alone will be more devoted to you, in the beginning, but with two-you don't get all the biting and roughness on you, because they play alot with each other!Then they tire out! You still have the routine of "explaining" that they do not bite YOU, but it is less frequent!
    Have you tried a water bottle-squirt? or a new rough sound-instead of NO-like QUIT! or AAAAT!? Or a can of rocks, or coins that she may not like the sound of it when you shake it? She may have heard" no" so much, that it is ignored. Spanking doesn't really do any good. A new unpleasant sound-or ignoring-I had one biter,(pup) who, if I turned my back, and told Nope, I,m NOT playing-she would just stop. That was TOO easy! Sometimes the "standard" doesn't work, and you have to get creative to see what "will" work for your pup. Good Luck! You have to figure it out soon, or you will get "NO RESPECT"!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnA View Post
    I too had a hard time when Otis was younger, I thought I'd never get through it and that I had a "devil" on my hands - hang tough, it does get better as they get older. If I can suggest a couple of things - a water bottle to spray at her when she bites (Otis hated it) or when she starts biting put her on her lease and put the lease on a door knob in your house and calmly tell her NO, once she calms down, take her off and try again, if no better back to the leash/door knob. GOOD LUCK! It's so hard.
    The leash on the door is a good idea thanks! And I always forget about the water bottle! thanks

Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    It really is actually easier to raise two pups(a little hectic on housebreaking) than one. One pup alone will be more devoted to you, in the beginning, but with two-you don't get all the biting and roughness on you, because they play alot with each other!Then they tire out! You still have the routine of "explaining" that they do not bite YOU, but it is less frequent!
    Have you tried a water bottle-squirt? or a new rough sound-instead of NO-like QUIT! or AAAAT!? Or a can of rocks, or coins that she may not like the sound of it when you shake it? She may have heard" no" so much, that it is ignored. Spanking doesn't really do any good. A new unpleasant sound-or ignoring-I had one biter,(pup) who, if I turned my back, and told Nope, I,m NOT playing-she would just stop. That was TOO easy! Sometimes the "standard" doesn't work, and you have to get creative to see what "will" work for your pup. Good Luck! You have to figure it out soon, or you will get "NO RESPECT"!
    No with the water bottle but yes with everything else..lol She doesnt care if I ignore her. She hated the can of rocks at first then started attacking. Different sounds besides no when biting do not work! lol My thing is, is why is it just with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Well she does seem to be stubborn for sure. But I truly believe your dog can become tractable given the time and perseverance. I may have mentioned in one of your threads before if not somewhere in the forum when a similar situation was discussed that in the beginning I had to coax Ace to walk on lead but although at the very beginning he was reluctant it only took one outing and a few times of coaxing for him to get it. I would literally pick him up and stand him and use a treat to go a few steps, with a lot of joyful encouragement and kept repeating and in the first lesson he was going good and we have never looked back. He loves taking walks, put the harness or prong collar on and he is ready to go and will load himself in the front seat of my pickup when we go for a ride. If I was having a similar situation as you are then I would use whatever means necessary and if simple coaxing and treats didn't work [ and I would really keep trying with joyful enthusiasm ] but if that just didn't work even with all efforts then I would escalate the method. By that I mean if you haven't already tried one perhaps a well made prong collar to help her get the message. Used correctly a well made prong collar is safer than a traditional collar and will not hurt or injure the dog or else I wouldn't use one. If you decide to try a prong collar then message me and I will share the proper way to fit it and use it. Some of the images on the internet on how to fit the collar are incorrect. I have been to two trainers and the first one fit the collar [very experienced trainers with guard and k9 type training ] but things didn't go well with them and I went to another trainer and when she saw the collar she said it wasn't fitted right and when I changed the way it fit the dog responded better and the collar was more comfortable
    Im ok with the prong. We had to get one in training class for her. But I always seem to forget about it. Have to dig it out again!

Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
    The leash on the door is a good idea thanks! And I always forget about the water bottle! thanks
    Spray at her bum or face, whichever she dislikes the most. She looks so sweet, finding it hard to believe she even acts like that....jk
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnA View Post
    Spray at her bum or face, whichever she dislikes the most. She looks so sweet, finding it hard to believe she even acts like that....jk
    Lol I know right??? We go out and shes all friendly and well behaved for the most part... Im like ha... be at home with her...Shes a lil devil!!! lol

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Sheena;423070] ! lol My thing is, is why is it just with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Without actually watching the interaction it would be hard to know, but my guess is that it may be your demeanor. Even though Ace is pretty well behaved when he does get a bit unruly or get something he shouldn't have and my wife doesn't have any success then she will call me and I can get Ace to mind. My wife is petite and gentle and seldom raises her voice and I have mentioned to her when she can't get him to mind that she needs to be more assertive, act like the boss and play the part convincingly and the dog will believe it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads