SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Heya,

Dumb question #32 - At what age did you trust your dogs to have full reign of the house/floor/living room when you're out?

Thanks...

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Heya,

Dumb question #32 - At what age did you trust your dogs to have full reign of the house/floor/living room when you're out?

Thanks...

At about a year and a half. Really when we saw he wouldn't chew up stuff. He stopped that pretty early on he took to redirection very easily. Up to that point he was crated. It was a process first the crate then restriction to the bedroom and then the rest of the house.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley was about about 18 months - 2 years. And like Jennifer, it was a process. He actually has always been good while free...he pretty much seems to stay wherever he was when we left...sometimes he naps in his crate when I'm out...I leave it up in the dining room with the door open.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well Winston is 10 mos, and I can tell you he won't get free reign anytime soon!!! I made the mistake of letting him sleep on the couch while I picked up my daughter from school... he ate some blinds, and window molding!!! :cursing:

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok, so my Winston was actually really good. He began to stay out all the time around 6 months. He's really never been a chewer...has always been VERY good about chewing on his toys only. Granted when we go to Petsmart he's got his head in the bins and he decides to slobber several toys so mom then has to buy them all...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I don't think it is age specific, it is personality specific. Banks is 8 and I really can not remember when we began to test her and know she was trust worthy of the test, but I think she was about 2. Our Frenchie is 2 and still not ready to test that little curious devil

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Not a dumb question at all, [MENTION=9655]SamiSalo[/MENTION]! I'm not there yet either w/my two naughty rascals. I've left Finn alone before for maybe 30-40 minutes at most and he pretty much behaved himself. I was nervous about it though and don't see myself leaving him alone for longer than that in the near future. With Tate, it's a different story…and with both of them together…that's double TROUBLE!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.