Lola is over protective

SCOTTANGE

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
Hello ,
Lola is now 18 months and very attached to my wife and I, she first showed signs of aggression when a friend was over talking loudly using his hands and she jumped up on him and tried to quiet him down(it felt like). if someone walks up to the car when we are inside like at a gas station or friends she goes nuts. Lately she has showed bad behavior more towards women but it may be a coincidence. Today I brought her to a fiends house where she has been before, the husband rolled on the floor with her and the wife petted her in the garage while I fixed their car. The wife left for a couple hours, when she returned and walked in the garage lola went right to her jumped up on her (not hard just stood front paws on her thighs, and stands on the person's feet) and made small growling noise. It seemed like Lola just wanted to tell this women that this was her space and she was to stay in line, this is the same behavior we have seen a few times, she does not show her teeth but I'm afraid it will get worse. Like everyone always says about their dog she is very quiet and sweet, any help would be appreciated

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When she does this, what is your reaction to her?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hello ,
Lola is now 18 months and very attached to my wife and I, she first showed signs of aggression when a friend was over talking loudly using his hands and she jumped up on him and tried to quiet him down(it felt like). if someone walks up to the car when we are inside like at a gas station or friends she goes nuts. Lately she has showed bad behavior more towards women but it may be a coincidence. Today I brought her to a fiends house where she has been before, the husband rolled on the floor with her and the wife petted her in the garage while I fixed their car. The wife left for a couple hours, when she returned and walked in the garage lola went right to her jumped up on her (not hard just stood front paws on her thighs, and stands on the person's feet) and made small growling noise. It seemed like Lola just wanted to tell this women that this was her space and she was to stay in line, this is the same behavior we have seen a few times, she does not show her teeth but I'm afraid it will get worse. Like everyone always says about their dog she is very quiet and sweet, any help would be appreciated

Yes, when she does this what is your reaction? It's super important to stay calm positive and assertive. Bullies tend to react better to positive reinforcement versus punishment or at least that is what I have been seeing more of. I put Sheldon in time outs where he has to sit and stay by himself for a few minutes and he realizes that the behavior he is exhibiting will not be tolerated but that is in extreme circumstances as I generally have no problem getting him to see my point of view.

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

OP
S

SCOTTANGE

Sep 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LOLA
I believe I am calm and assertive, I tell her no loudly and give a leash correction, again this is just beginning so I have to analyze my reaction.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I believe I am calm and assertive, I tell her no loudly and give a leash correction, again this is just beginning so I have to analyze my reaction.

Try a firm NO, but not a loud or scream -- that could add to her excitement. Also, how are those approaching her? My girl is 8 yrs old and still has to smell my hand every day when I get home from work. She does not bark or show signs of aggression, but she does not like being approached or touched until she smells your hand. she does it with every person entering the house.

Give that a try... make each person not pay any attention to her.. no eye contact, not loud abrupt approaching, no touching until she settles.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
For sure tell her NO in a stern voice, and correct with a leash if it is on her, she will eventually get the message,

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

Excellent!!! You have gotten great advice!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.