Butter is peeing nearly everyday only at a certain time, help!

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Hey all!

Butter is doing amazing with us. He never has any accidents in the house while we are around and he would probably sleep through the night if we let him (we take him out after about 5-6 hours).

But we've got one issue that we can't seem to figure out at all: everyday when my GF gets home from work at 5:30, he has peed in his crate. But he never does any other time except between 3PM-5:30PM.

To give you the schedule, we have a dog walker coming twice a day. I leave for work around 7:45AM and he's done his business outside no problem. Our dog walker gets there at 10:30AM and his crate is always clean. She lets him out for a walk and puts him back in. She comes back at 2:30PM and the crate is always clean. He has a play date usually with another dog so he can get some exercise and socialization. He always does his potty business during that time, including right before he goes back inside the crate around 3PM.

Then, sometime between then and 5:30 he pees.

We can't figure it out. We've stopped the play dates in case it was overexcitement and that didn't help. We've changed it to not a play date and just a walk with another dog and that didn't help. We've gone from 2 feedings a day (morning and night) to allowing for a snack mid-day in case it was a hunger thing, but that didn't help.

One time the dog walker came back at 4:30PM just to see if it would help, and the crate was clean, he was let out, and there were no accidents when my GF came home. But all that does is remove the ammunition, not solve the problem.

Is it that he's upset he's been in his crate all day? We've seen him "act out" in the crate before and pee when he wasn't happy. Is he just so hungry by that time that he pees?

We don't know what to do, any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmmm... that is really strange!!!
It sounds like he's having a hard time holding it at that last hour... could the sitter come by maybe an hour later?!! I was also going to say maybe he gets excited when the GF comes home, but I'm assuming the pee is already there by the time she gets home. I will be honest w/you it took Winston a REALLY long time to stop peeing in the crate... I think he was maybe 9 months old!!! Not sure how old Butter is?!!

OP
elonepb

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Hmmm... that is really strange!!!
It sounds like he's having a hard time holding it at that last hour... could the sitter come by maybe an hour later?!! I was also going to say maybe he gets excited when the GF comes home, but I'm assuming the pee is already there by the time she gets home. I will be honest w/you it took Winston a REALLY long time to stop peeing in the crate... I think he was maybe 9 months old!!! Not sure how old Butter is?!!

It's not an excitement thing, she can hear him crying as she walks up to the door of the apartment. We could try her coming an hour later to see if that helps, it certainly can't hurt. Butter is about 4.5-5 months now. The crazy thing is he never does it at any other time. On weekends if we go out to dinner, he's great. We've left in the evening for 4 hours and he's great.

It's just this one random 2.5 hour period of time that he decides he has to pee. I really don't think it's a "can't hold it" thing and more of an acting out, but I can't figure out what it is that's making him upset.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: is he drinking any/a lot of water during that last dog walker visit? Also, when on the walk, is he going potty or is it just a walk/paly time?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Could he be getting bored? Does he have toys in his crate or a tv that he can see from his crate? Sheldon use to love to watch Animal Planet on tv from his crate.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
You could also try putting something with your or your GF scent on it in his crate sometimes that soothes upset babies/puppies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.