SSSSSssssllllooooowwwwww Bulldog

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Im pretty sure this is more funny then correctable, but is anyone else's bulldog insanely SLOW to do anything? It's probably just a personality clash between me and Murray, and a little bit just learning the breed since he is my first EB, but holy cow...

Heres an example: I had a long day, came home, made dinner, watched some TV / bounced around the internet / played with Murray all night. Now I'm tired and we are ready for bed. So I get Murray up (he was sleeping), I run up the stairs calling for him to follow, he lumbers to the bottom of the stairs and puts his head on the bottom step.... several minutes of coaxing later, he is at the top of the stairs... I let him out, he sniffs around the door to the sunroom, around the sunroom itself, I finally push him into the backyard, he stands around, looks in every directions, sniffs, scans, sniffs, walks, etc, etc, etc. I get tired of just standing there watching him so I go out, walk him in the yard, same routine, FINALLY he goes #2. I coax him back into the house with a treat, up the stairs to the crate awaiting him in the hallway... he comes up the stairs one step at a time, stopping at each to look at me, sniff around..... uggghhh! I literally BEG him to go to bed so that I can settle in as well. funniest part - he will be halfway up the steps and just look at me like: 'something wrong, dad?'. Im so frustrated but I always chuckle when he gives me that look.

Sorry for the venting; our last dog just 'got it', he came up, ran outside, did his thing, ran to bed. Im sure Murray will get there - he's only 9 months, but I fully expect to work this routine until then. Anyone have similar experiences and have any tips? a cup of Java perhaps? I joke that Murray always ACTS like I FEEL on Monday Mornings when I get to the office... :lmao:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
My boyfriend always says Dudley "plods"...sorry, but it's true. Can he run and move fast -- oh heck yeah -- but always on his terms. I don't know about Murray (GREAT name by the way), but Dudley is intensely curious. He smells and checks out everything. I mean everything. Goes out...sniffs the air...smells his toys in the yard...smells the patio furniture...you get the picture. Dudley will be 3 years old in December...he's not going to grow out of it. Most of the time, it just cracks me up, unless I'm really tired (like tonight), in a hurry, etc. But...that's Duddles!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
That sounds just like Mayhem. He takes his sweet time!! God forbid that you try to encourage him to pick up the pace. If so, he seems to purposely move even slower. Everything is on his terms, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh man, do I feel your pain...and frustration! It's a real learning curve.

I've been exposed to 3 bullies, two mine, older rehomed bullies...all are
just what you described and I am Type A to the max.

Thank god I had some years before to mellow down due to chronic
illness and somewhat, adjusted to slower pace & life BEFORE they came!

Otherwise...I just don't know. Like you tho, it's so comical, I have to laugh.

Most times.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's BeBe at night, she takes her sweet time, and sometimes just stands there and looks at you with this blank stare, like huh??? You want me to do what???? She's too funny.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
lol our silly bullies! Daisy is not slow at all. Buuuuut she is stubborn as could be. If she doesnt want to do something she wont... So if shes not ready to come in from outside. We will be staying out there.. lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think it is a bully thing. It seems like they can sense when you really need them to do something because they go in the opposite direction. Just last night I took Brutus out because I knew he had to go (he was stinkin us out of the room). He smelled every leaf, chair, fence post etc...... UGH it was soo cold and all I wanted to do was go back in. That obviously was not his plan, the big brat.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
This is soooooo funny! Bogey usually falls asleep on the couch around 8ish. At 9:30 I take him out for his last potty. I am lucky if I can get into bed by 10! This is what he does. I wake him up, he opens his eyes, but will not move off the couch. So, I gently push him off, to which he will just plop on the floor, 1/2 asleep. I then pick up his butt and prod him to the front door. He stretches, lays back down. Prod him again, put his leash on, and now he realizes he has to go out. We get to the front yard and he starts sniffing the air, chasing the lizards and frogs, sniffing the grass and with every night sound, he stops to listen, then goes back to sniffing, and will find the FARTHEST point in our yard or our neighbors to pee. Then we have to sniff our way back, constantly looking over his shoulder for the ghosts of the night. And the worse part- if it is raining, it doesn't matter. It doesn't bother him one bit. Not bad if I have my umbrella, but I can't tell you the number of times I have been caught outside without it!! When he finally does head back in, it is at a snails pace, even with treats. I think it's in the DNA!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have a v-e-r-y slow bulldog! He's quick as lightning when he knows he's going out to play with his dog friends, but during normal walks on the leash, he's been incredibly slow. It has improved lately, but some days he's still a very slow walker, and he often stops just to watch people or the traffic. When I take him out late in the evening and he's asleep, I actually often carry him, because otherwise he would fall asleep on his way to the door and then again in the elevator! Can't keep doing that as he gets heavier, though (he's only six months).

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon does everything at his pace. If I want him to go faster I get behind him and clap my hands and stomp a little and tell him he better get in there and he speeds up somewhat sometimes. When we take walks its at his pace he has to stop and sniff everything. When he goes outside to do his business sometimes he won't come in until we go around the block. He just plants his feet and looks at me like if you think I will willingly go back into the house think again Mom so I give in and we walk around the block after which he will happily come back into the house. Like they said its in their DNA.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is the slowest walker I've ever seen. Unless something startles her and she runs at the speed of light to our elevator. She's also slow to come out of her crate in the morning after she wakes up and in the afternoon when I get home. You would think she'd be so excited to come out but she just gets excited and shakes her butt in her crate. It is so funny to watch! Even if I walk away and sit on the couch, she just sits and stares for a good 5 minutes till she decides she is ready to come out. When we get her harness and leash to go outside, she will stand as still as possible thinking we won't see her if she doesn't move. Or she'll just plop down - dead weight! She likes being outside so I don't know what her deal is, we just chalk it up to her being a lazy bulldog and wanting to do things on her own terms.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sheldon does everything at his pace. If I want him to go faster I get behind him and clap my hands and stomp a little and tell him he better get in there and he speeds up somewhat sometimes. When we take walks its at his pace he has to stop and sniff everything. When he goes outside to do his business sometimes he won't come in until we go around the block. He just plants his feet and looks at me like if you think I will willingly go back into the house think again Mom so I give in and we walk around the block after which he will happily come back into the house. Like they said its in their DNA.

Brutus does the same thing a stick of dynamite will not speed him up....unless of course he has a slipper in his mouth, then he is greased lightning!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Brutus does the same thing a stick of dynamite will not speed him up....unless of course he has a slipper in his mouth, then he is greased lightning!!!!
Oh boy-I am reading all about MY dogs! If Maude even "thinks" I am in a hurry, she suddenly notices something she forgot to sniff! BUT if they get one of my slippers-they turn into Greyhounds at the track! Every time we go outside, and it's time to come in-I sound like Rodney Dangerfield(most of you are too young to know who HE is!) I am always saying "I don't get NO RESPECT!" Bullies Rule this roost! My house is a big dog house and they just LET me live here!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: welcome to the wonderful world of Bulldogs!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:nice: Nice and slow, the life of a bully could actually teach us a thing or 2 I guess. haha!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.