Help Needed! We moved and Matilda broke

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
As some of you know, Matilda is very, very well-trained and probably knows 100 different commands, if not more.

She has been well-trained (give or take a few rebellion issues) pretty much since we got her (as we starting working with her immediately).

Ever since we moved, however, she has thrown everything out the window! She goes potty inside (which was only an issue if she had a bladder infection) AND even right in front of us, she is chewing the furniture, she has no respect for me or my boyfriend (especially him). When we give her commands, she runs away like it's a big fun game :evil: We started over with dominance training again, like not letting her go through doorways first, putting our scent on her food, making her wait to eat, etc.

She's getting better with me about the commands (finally listening again, but still requires some bribery so she doesn't run away from us and tear through the house), but it's like she's a puppy all over again! My new home reeks of pet cleaner! Ugh!

She's just over a year now (birthday in June), but she is acting so strange since the move (about a month ago)!

She also does not want to go outside. When we ask her if she does, she runs and hides under the table (when previously she'd run to the door). This happens even if she has to go potty. It USED to be our signal for her. If we asked and she needed to go, she'd go to the door. Now we have no signal, so I've been taking her out way more often (again, just like she's a puppy again!). The strange part is that once she's outside, she loves it (lots of new dogs to play with) and refuses to come back in!

She's driving me CRAZY and we've gone back to crating her to contain all the bad behavior.

I also thought it may be anxiety based, so I got her a pheromone collar. She's still peeing AND pooping in the house (AND EVEN IN FRONT OF US) even though we keep correcting her. Ugh!

When will she get over the move and how can we get her to see that everything is fine in our new home? It's very similar to our old place, so I didn't think she'd react so drastically!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Change is change and bullies tend to be a little OCD some more than others and resist changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
It may be a combination of the change and her age... I've heard some bullies have their own version of the "terrible twos" where they decide to test you and it feels like training all over again. Reinforce her training you used before and just be consistent. She's just got to figure out that she's not gonna be the boss in the new place.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thanks guys. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Re-potty training at this age is a LOT messier. :(

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION] Happy to hear you made the move! I'm so sorry to hear about all this. It sounds to me like she's getting used to the change in scenery and the fact that she is living with another person. It also sounds like she wants to play out side too with all of the other kids. Maybe try some of those wee-wee pads for inside until she calms down and accepts the idea that things are going to stay this way. Someone else on here is going thru the exact same thing as you are and has made an identical change and all of the advice given to her was just persistence that eventually she'll get it but its going to take a while. I hope is sooner then latter.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thanks guys. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Re-potty training at this age is a LOT messier. :(

All I have heard us back to basics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'd just go back to basic training. Take her out on a strict schedule and give her a command to go when she's outside; we tell Aubie to "go potty" and she will pee right away or start sniffing for a spot if she's got to go (that's come in real handy when we're out and about, on vacation, etc). Crate her when you can't watch her. Praise for outside potties. Work on doggy tricks to reinforce your dominance, even when playing with toys. We usually make Aubie sit, lay, roll over, etc, a few times to get her toys during play. Combine the little things and the big things and it will work out.

She may make it tough for you, but she can do it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as the others have said... get back to basics with ther and develop her routine in her new surroundings. you ave to think of her as not knowiing again becasue this is a change and she needs time to settle back in to a 'new' routine.

keep us posted

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.