T

TLindstrom

Oct 12, 2013
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus
Thank you all for your great advice! Things have improved so much. I have been using the kennel when he gets out of control and will not listen. I think the biggest thing that has helped is staying calm with him. I firmly tell him no when needed but stay calm. He is listening to me!!! He is so smart and still very stubborn, but now that I know how to handle him, life is good.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank you all for your great advice! Things have improved so much. I have been using the kennel when he gets out of control and will not listen. I think the biggest thing that has helped is staying calm with him. I firmly tell him no when needed but stay calm. He is listening to me!!! He is so smart and still very stubborn, but now that I know how to handle him, life is good.

This forum has helped me immensely and I am glad you are having an easier time. There is so much to know when raising a bulldog. I did a ton of research before I got Brutus and joining EBN showed me how much more there was to still learn. Everyone here is great. No judgements just great advice. Once you get to the point to where your bully listens, It is really a wonderful experience. They have so much love to give.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have already received lots of great advice and suggestions from members above. I agree with Sherry, Nicole, and Pati's suggestions, you want to show your are pack leader, be calm, as they feed off our feelings, whether food or bad, and they definitely do outgrow this stage. Maybe because you haven't had him that long, and you can't really know everything about his past owners or his background, some professional behaviour training might help. I don't have any experience with this, but just wanted to say I hope you find a solution to his biting, and that he improves. Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way, and good luck with finding a solution. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
You have gotten some really good advice here. Absolutely you need to establish pack order. I have a 1 year old bulldog, and he was the toughest pup I ever owned. Since you got yours a little later, maybe some behavior training was lax with the first owner, and you have to start from square one. The best advice I can give you is no matter how hard it is, try not to lose control. I did it once, I was at my limit, and it made Bogey worse! I vowed to never lose my cool again, and I haven't. In doing this, I found that his bad behavior goes away when he loses my attention. He still gets over excited at times, like when he is chasing his ball. He doesn't like to " give" - instead he would rather we tug it from him. That is fine for awhile, but then he gets over excited, and starts to jump up and bite at me if I have the toy. I immediately take the toy away and we are done playing. He calms right down. As a pup I tried the submission maneuver, and it made him NUTS! He responded the best to time out in his crate. But I never put him in yelling or meanly. It was a firm no, and placement in the crate. Door shut gently and we walked away. He did not come out if he whined or cried. Maybe one on one playtime without your other dog would help with tiring him out. Is he crated for long periods during the day? They can be really tough but consistency, patience, love and gentle firmness will gain his trust in you and you will have a great dog! Good luck and keep us posted!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

great news..... be sure to stay consistent and everyone in the house treats him the same way --- routine, schedule consistency

OP
T

TLindstrom

Oct 12, 2013
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus
I totally agree with you. We have never adopted a dog quite as "trying" as Spartacus before. He is so worth the hard work and all the tears. HE is such a sweet, loving, funny boy most of the time. Day by Day things get better. We still have lots of work to do, but it seems the good outweighs the bad on most days. We couldn't imagine life without our little "short stack". I am glad I didn't give up on him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally agree with you. We have never adopted a dog quite as "trying" as Spartacus before. He is so worth the hard work and all the tears. HE is such a sweet, loving, funny boy most of the time. Day by Day things get better. We still have lots of work to do, but it seems the good outweighs the bad on most days. We couldn't imagine life without our little "short stack". I am glad I didn't give up on him.

When it gets tough.... Post here and many of us will help support and pull you through.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
For some reason I am just seeing this thread... LOL Anyhoo you have been given some great advice, and I will also agree that bully pups are VERY hard to train... especially when they are stuck in bad habits. Consistency is the key, and keeping them worn out... LOL Good Luck!!! :D

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
When it gets tough.... Post here and many of us will help support and pull you through.

We are all here when things get tough!

sent from my Droid RAZR with love!

Members online

No members online now.