Help Needed! Biting is out of control!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco just can't stop biting body parts...hands, feet, arms, etc. I can't even lay down with him because he'll bite my ears or my hands and he doesn't stop. I revert him to his toys and bones and yell no or stop but he just drops them and bites my hands. My arms and hands are covered in cuts and scratches. And it's not just me. He does it to everyone. Friends and family. He does it mostly at home or my parents house. I took him to my aunt's last weekend and he was fine. Idk what to do I figured it was a phase that would pass like teething but it's showing no end. He hurts when he bites and he's just not enjoyable to be around when he gets in these moods. I might add that he's lost quite a few teeth at this point, about ten. Is this normal behavior? Will it stop? Is there something else I could be doing that I'm not? I'm thinking about getting a trainer but I'm at a loss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
My bully is a biter out of fear. Is this playful biting that just hurts because of puppy teeth or fearful/ angry biting? Try a squirt bottle of plain water. Provide lots of chew toys and be consistent, don't let him chew on you because he's being cute. If it's more serious, try a professional dog trainer, or beeper collar with remote.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My youngest, Voitto was a terrible biter and it took quite awhile until he figured out that is was not OK. He still mouths a bit when he gets excited. Most of the times I just stopped everything I was doing with him when he started to bite, said NO, left him and totally ignored him. With him a plain stern NO, wasn't enough, I really had to put some feeling in to it. They pick up on feelings and with little bugger I needed to get mad. I ofcourse didn't hit him, but once I did hit the pillow next to him and surprisingly he got got the message.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My bully is a biter out of fear. Is this playful biting that just hurts because of puppy teeth or fearful/ angry biting? Try a squirt bottle of plain water. Provide lots of chew toys and be consistent, don't let him chew on you because he's being cute. If it's more serious, try a professional dog trainer, or beeper collar with remote.

Definitely hurts because puppy teeth. He's not aggressive with his biting, he just can't understand the fact that he should be chewing on his toys (which he has plenty of) and not us. Haven't tried the squirt bottle yet, so I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My youngest, Voitto was a terrible biter and it took quite awhile until he figured out that is was not OK. He still mouths a bit when he gets excited. Most of the times I just stopped everything I was doing with him when he started to bite, said NO, left him and totally ignored him. With him a plain stern NO, wasn't enough, I really had to put some feeling in to it. They pick up on feelings and with little bugger I needed to get mad. I ofcourse didn't hit him, but once I did hit the pillow next to him and surprisingly he got got the message.

Yea if I get mad and yell it doesn't seem to phase him. But maybe sending a message like that will help him get the picture!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ahh yes, the biting puppy. I still cringe when I remember Blue and his Piranha teeth. They do grow out of it (for the most part).
In the meantime, if re-directing doesn't work, spray Bitter Apple on your hands, feet and any other part of you he bites. That was the only thing that worked for us when everything else failed.

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Ahh yes, the biting puppy. I still cringe when I remember Blue and his Piranha teeth. They do grow out of it (for the most part).
In the meantime, if re-directing doesn't work, spray Bitter Apple on your hands, feet and any other part of you he bites. That was the only thing that worked for us when everything else failed.

Not a bad idea either!

Yes the piranha teeth are the worst lol. I'm thinking he's doing it due to discomfort while the adult teeth come in, at least I hope that's why lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Excellent advice. This is exactly what I did with brutus. He was out of control. Bulldogs hate to be ignored most of all. You can try time outs in his crate as well. Just pick him up and put him in for a bit until he calms down. This has been a life saver for me. It will end but I know it seems like it never will. And you feel guilty for thinking he is a little jerk right? Don't worry your a good daddy

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I would call my bf crying because I thought he was going to be a vicious beast. His puppy-hood was, in my opinion, a nightmare! I thought about giving him up. I say this all of the time, but his trainer "saved" us! She showed me how to "ignore" him -- Rosalie is so right...bulldogs HATE to be ignored! He would get a time-out in his crate. Sue, his trainer, reminded me that their jaws grow for 18 months to 2 years and they need to CHEW! We were able to get him to chew on toys instead of us! Took a bit of time and a lot of consistent behavior on our part, but he stopped...it didn't take 2 years either! I'm guessing he was 6 or 7 months old...but I just can't remember. I know it was before his first birthday!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
This is a reoccurring theme here at EBN with those who have bulldog pups. I only say that to let you know its not at all unusual and is actually typical of the puppy stage. Ace was the same way, I had scars all over my forearms, the pup is not actually being aggressive or meaning to hurt they just explore everything with their mouths and their puppy teeth are sharp as razors. The usual response as has probably already been mentioned in this thread is to say a loud no and redirect to a chew toy. Sometimes squealing loudly in pain will get them to stop and you can redirect. And one has to repeat over and over again and be persistent and even then you will wonder if its working but it does eventually. With Ace the puppy biting slowed down little by little but remarkable so when he began to get his adult teeth. Ace will be a year old in about a week and from about 6 to 7 months of age the puppy biting was then practically non existent. Now and then I will get an occasional mark but its only when we are playing and he accidentally catches my arm in the roughhousing. Now the only time he take my hand in his mouth is to lick or to chew softly on my fingers in an affectionate response. So hang in there your pup will outgrow this stage and in the meantime say no to the biting and redirect his attention and keep something on hand to clean up the places on your forearms.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is a reoccurring theme here at EBN with those who have bulldog pups. I only say that to let you know its not at all unusual and is actually typical of the puppy stage. Ace was the same way, I had scars all over my forearms, the pup is not actually being aggressive or meaning to hurt they just explore everything with their mouths and their puppy teeth are sharp as razors. The usual response as has probably already been mentioned in this thread is to say a loud no and redirect to a chew toy. Sometimes squealing loudly in pain will get them to stop and you can redirect. And one has to repeat over and over again and be persistent and even then you will wonder if its working but it does eventually. With Ace the puppy biting slowed down little by little but remarkable so when he began to get his adult teeth. Ace will be a year old in about a week and from about 6 to 7 months of age the puppy biting was then practically non existent. Now and then I will get an occasional mark but its only when we are playing and he accidentally catches my arm in the roughhousing. Now the only time he take my hand in his mouth is to lick or to chew softly on my fingers in an affectionate response. So hang in there your pup will outgrow this stage and in the meantime say no to the biting and redirect his attention and keep something on hand to clean up the places on your forearms.

I use the squeal loudly in pain technique mentioned above and it works like a charm. Still have to do it over and over though until they get it.

And yes he is teething and soft salty chewy hands are delicious. The sad news is teething lasts for months!! Until their adult teeth are in all the way. Keep redirecting with toys, squeal in pain (they don't want to hurt you), and he will get it sooner than you think :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Puppy biting is not just a "Bullie" thing! All pups go through this stage-some more than others. You just have to be as persistent about his NOT biting, as he is about biting! I know how tiring it gets-like he's NEVER gonna' learn-but keep at it-it will end eventually! Water bottle, nylabone, Mine always worked with the re-direction-nylabone in mouth-here bite THIS! My son's chihuahua would not quit. I told him to try the spray bottle of water, and THAT worked for him! Pups are like children-if you don't have patience and keep at it to teach them, they just stay wild!! You are not alone! Stay strong..........:yes:

OP
fastmatt613

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Thanks for the advice guys! Yea I feel bad about getting mad at him and hopefully in another 2-3 months we can put this behind us. I'm gonna try a few different things so hopefully it works! I'll keep you posted. But for now....off to the bully bash!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Aside from the normal no, ow, redirect or ignore we used a spray bottle as well with luck but there are times when even that doesn't work. What we have found that works best for us that stops Harlea in her tracks and pulls her attention directly to us is a canned of compressed air like the stuff you use to blow dust out of your keyboard. Pet stores sell the stuff under the as seen on TV brand Oh Noooo. Do not buy it from a pet store. They are charging $10 or more for an itty bitty can. Got to your favorite electronics store or WalMart and get the computer stuff in a larger can for a lot less money and it is the same thing. Just be sure never to spray it directly at your pup as it will cause frostbite.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Aside from the normal no, ow, redirect or ignore we used a spray bottle as well with luck but there are times when even that doesn't work. What we have found that works best for us that stops Harlea in her tracks and pulls her attention directly to us is a canned of compressed air like the stuff you use to blow dust out of your keyboard. Pet stores sell the stuff under the as seen on TV brand Oh Noooo. Do not buy it from a pet store. They are charging $10 or more for an itty bitty can. Got to your favorite electronics store or WalMart and get the computer stuff in a larger can for a lot less money and it is the same thing. Just be sure never to spray it directly at your pup as it will cause frostbite.

I found out by accident something that may work nearly as well as the compressed air thing. I have a ear syringe bulb by my computer that I use to blow the keyboard to get the dog hair and such out of the keyboard and found out by playing with Ace how quickly it will get his attention. Just a small puff of air from the syringe and he will stop what he is doing and I have his attention. I haven't used it for puppy biting and such as I don't need it now but just with playing with Ace I have noticed it really gets his focus off of whatever he may be doing and to concentrate on that weird contraption that puffs air

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.