And there was a fight... :(

Maomao

Aug 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiara - stark
Guys I was feeding my little ones and after feeding was over the female "Tiara " does a dominant stand in front of the male "stark" and an outburst of aggression towards him, now its been two days in a row !
She is 5 1/2 months and stark is almost 5 months ... Can you guys help with some ideas on how to nip it in the butt !
We're expecting a baby and we really want a safe place , not only for the one coming ... Omg three babies in the house !!! I will go crazyyyyyy!
usupybuv.jpg

Thanks !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Are you feeding them close together? If so I would start with feeding them in seperate areas from one another or in their crates if you are using them. When we had more that one dog we alwasy had to keep them seperated at feeding times for the first year and then we could slowly move then until they were all eating in the kitchen.

Or you could start feeding them both by hand to show them you are the boss.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We are going through similar thing ,what i do is having both of my girls either side of me on a sit command and hand feed them -it was only new days but there is only slight "hair rase" no arguments
I dont plan feeding them separate so i done this instead -it worked well with one of my foster dog with food dominance and aggression (it took sone time) so i figured out it should work with my girls
Its not the fact that im showing them who's the boss but the fact that girls eventually understand that none of them are threat to each other (taking their food) , while feeding ,it should calm their "fear" (as that is why the aggression or fights are inflicted -through the fear of losing their food to another dog)
I dont raise my voice,i keep calm and give them loads of praise when they keep calm

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are going through similar thing ,what i do is having both of my girls either side of me on a sit command and hand feed them -it was only new days but there is only slight "hair rase" no arguments
I dont plan feeding them separate so i done this instead -it worked well with one of my foster dog with food dominance and aggression (it took sone time) so i figured out it should work with my girls
Its not the fact that im showing them who's the boss but the fact that girls eventually understand that none of them are threat to each other (taking their food) , while feeding ,it should calm their "fear" (as that is why the aggression or fights are inflicted -through the fear of losing their food to another dog)
I dont raise my voice,i keep calm and give them loads of praise when they keep calm

agree with Pati, you also want to look up a training tool called 'nothing in life is free'. It is a great tool to teach them you are alpha and where they fall in the pack

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others, feed them apart and if you see one posture over the other, then call them out before it escalates. Also as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, check out "Nothing in life is free".

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent suggestions above, it will take a little time on your part but you should really see positive results, and quickly too.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We trained our boys to not eat until we say 'go'. And we don't say go until they sit and relax, all while in front of their bowls filled with their food. This tAught them that we are the alpha and they should behave if they want anything. We do the same for treats, they need to sit and be calm.

Your two are still pups and will learn with consistency. It takes time and patience but once you see results you'll take what you learned and apply it to different areas of training. :yes:

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
We trained our boys to not eat until we say 'go'. And we don't say go until they sit and relax, all while in front of their bowls filled with their food. This tAught them that we are the alpha and they should behave if they want anything. We do the same for treats, they need to sit and be calm.

Your two are still pups and will learn with consistency. It takes time and patience but once you see results you'll take what you learned and apply it to different areas of training. :yes:

Same here ,when girls are not hand feed they will wait for the "go on" command -its also handy as they wont try to jump to get to the bowl or hang around your legs while preparing their food ;-)

OP
Maomao

Maomao

Aug 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiara - stark

Thanks ! So much... ! I'm trying to make them work for every single treat ( apples and peanut butter... wow do they love it) and we have been feeding them and they also have to work for it and doing great during their feeding time.The little monsters got in to another fight ... :( she's close to being six months ... Could she be getting close to her first heat cycle ? This time was completely spontaneous over a toy never done it before shown any aggression this way ...I wasn't present but while separating them my wife got a not so nice bruise when got bit on the arm ... Could it be they're just trying to set who's Alfa ? And again thank you and everyone for taking the time to help, thanks again!

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Having 2 dogs can sometimes create some scraps -they are unavoidable (sometimes dogs go through life with no fights -but i think its pretty rare-well rare with all the dogs i had ;-))
It could be that your girl is coming into heat,it could be that they fight for dominance amongst themselves (im not really believe in the owner being an alpha , ) positive reinforcement, removing triggers etc is the key
Being bit while trying to separate the fight isn't something im not familiar with -you need to be careful as when fight happen they dont pay much of an attention on what they bite - it can be traumatic or scary for us
Im used to separate 60kg dogs,what helped is water -not spray - but if you got access to the sink-throwing cold water ,towels try to cover their faces-can be tricky but works ,and bang loud pans (sometimes it scares hell out of them)
You are already doing great with what you are doing , keep observing and at it ,they still young their behaviour can be modified
And please bare in mind that im not a pro , just giving my own experience xx

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinon avoiding the situation won't cure it. Your babies are still so young that you can more easily make them behave how you wan't and you must establish yourself as the leader. I would do what [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] has done. My boys too will sit, look me in the eye and shake my hand before they eat and they eat right next to each other. They can even share a bone 1185927_10151843939659726_594977309_n.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.