Stanley attacked the mail man

Stanley Senn

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanley
I'm still horrified by what happened. Stanley is very protective of us and our house so when people approach we never know what will happen. The mail man came to the glass door and Stan charged down the stairs and hit the door so hard it opened and he attacked the mail man. He was screaming I was trying to get Stan to stop and it was scary and embarrassing. He didn't break the skin, this time. The mail man was obviously shaken and so was I. What can I do? We can't tolerate this behavior. We have 3 small children. Please help!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Oh my! I am so sorry this happened! :ohmy: The only thing I can say is maybe professional training if you can not get his aggression under control on your own? I am sure others will be along with better advice, I never had to deal with any sort of aggression with Winston so I am not familiar with it. Good luck!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Please get it touch with a professional trainer who specializes in aggression ASAP! You don't want lawsuits, or criminal charges!! It doesn't take much for animals to be put down, and owners to pay huge fines.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Stanley? Any other odd behavior prior to this? Has there been any other training... basic classes?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, pls consider getting in touch with a professional trainer. They should be able to show and teach you how Stanley's aggression can be controlled.

After multiple 'escapes', we now have an x-pen near the door to block them from going near the front door. It's worked beautifully so far.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I'm sorry I have never had to deal with aggression with Sheldon he only has shown aggression when startled at night when its just he and I otherwise he isn't aggressive at all. I will have y'all in my prayers I would go with their advice though get in touch with a professional trainer that specialized in aggression.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Definitely find a trainer. Dudley is intensely protective of this house, me, the neighborhood. Growls and snarls at anyone and anything within a three block radius of the house...take him beyond that...sweetheart! Not kidding...like he's a different dog. Small children can come up and stick their fingers down his throat...nothing (not that they have, but they have just charged up and hugged him)...he's an angel. when the doorbell rings, he charges, but I worked with the trainer and honestly, he backs away. I have a gate I use to gate off the living room when someone comes in, just until he realizes they are friends not foe! He didn't start this until he was about 2 years old...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definately get a professional trainer and in the mean time block off the door access with something so he can't charge out again.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How is Stanley? Is he friends with the mailman yet? maybe you could have him in his harness so you can control him and have the mailman give him treats for a couple of times so Stanley can see him as a friend??

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My boxer Daisy did the same thing several years ago. She jumped the fence and chased the mail lady around my van nipping at her ankle. Luckily she did not break the skin but did leave a nice bruise. I was horrified and thought for sure I was going to have to put her down because I could not have a dog that bites as I had small children at the time. I contacted the breeder and asked her advice and then contacted a trainer. The first trainer that came to my house was useless he was just focused on her walking on a leash nicely!! I then signed her up for some obedience classes. She went through beginners, intermediate, advanced and then got her CGC certificate. I have never had another issue with her. However, we did always keep the front door shut so she couldn't charge the door anymore. She is now 10-1/2 years old and still barks when someone comes to the door but doesn't charge out anymore. A good trainer is key!!

Just an FYI, the mail lady swore up and down she wasnt going to report this but about a week or two later I got a letter in the mail from the post office saying I owed over $700 for medical bills and pain and suffering. If I didn't pay it I was going to be sued!! Luckily they allowed me to make a payment arrangement!!

Good luck!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.