Attitude and Spiteful

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
Alrighty,

Since we have had Nismo, he has been a pretty good dog. Only a couple accidents and mostly because of us not being on the ball all the time. But now we are having some serious issues. I don't like to lock him up or cage him when we are gone, especially since he is "good" while we are gone. But now he is being a major butthead. Example: Sunday we wake up at 9am, go on a walk around the neighborhood. Pee and poo like normal, and come in. We play some while I cook for a pitch-in later. Noon comes around and we go on another walk before I leave. I get a call from the g/f saying Nismo woke her up at 1, she gets up to take him out and he had pee'd multiple times all over the couch (8x). He had just gone, and its just in spite since he didn't go with me. What can we do to stop this? He is now hanging out in his cage again when we are gone since we can't trust him. If you try to discipline him, he gets aggressive. He does know he did something wrong and acts as if so, yet he keeps doing it even if we yell at him. I have been giving him the cold shoulder since Sunday and he is now being all lovey-dovey and listening extra well. I know its only until I give him more leeway then he will revert back to his bad behavior. Any tips?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:Oh no, I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have any experience with peeing in the house or on furniture, but I know other members have had this happen to them, so hopefully someone will come along soon and offer some advice. We crate our guys when we aren't home, but it's because mine eat things like sweat socks, clothing, they chew anything soft like blankets, towels, etc, and Dozer likes to chew on electrical cords when no one is watching, he is fine when we are home , but cannot be trusted alone. So for us it's a safety issue, they don't mind being crated, they sleep there at night, and are free during the day, but when we have to go out, and they can't go with us, then we crate them. It really becomes their safe place, and when used as their sleeping area, and place to go when not supervised, they usually will be fine with it, and get used to being in the crate. Our guys don't mind at all, and will usually just sleep. I have read on her about other members who have had problems with peeing in the house, and have read that some go back to the basics of potty training, and will also use a leash on their dog while in the house and keep them close to them, so they know when they need to go pee. But peeing on the couch 8 times sounds like something else is going on, it may be a behavioural thing, maybe he's bored? Does he have toys to play with when he's alone? We usually leave the TV or radio on when we are out. Or maybe he has a bladder infection? Peeing 8 times seems like a lot, and frequent peeing, or suddenly peeing in the house when he didn't do it before are often signs of a bladder infection. A trip to the vet to check for a bladder infection, or to rule it out would be a good idea. Good luck, I hope you find the reason for his peeing, and also find a solution. Please keep us posted on how he's doing

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Oh man! Ya its a crate issue. Daisy is like that too.It a good thing to crate them when you leave. It makes them feel so much more secure. Ya she is so similar to your Nismo. She still pees in the house, and she will look right at me when she goes to do it. She will even keep going if I pick her up. Shes rotten and gets mean when I try to discipline her. But as she has gotten older (shes 7 months now) It is slowly getting better!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon has never done this that I can remember so I am of no help with advice just prayers and hugs is all I'm good for here and positive thoughts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I crate my guy at night and when I am gone as well. He cannot be trusted either. He has never peed on the couch before but he will pee on the floor if I'm not on top of him.It may be out of spite Nismo did that and I would revert back to crate training.

OP
L

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
I have honestly thought about a UTI, but it dosen't look as if he is having any issues. He isn't allowed on the couches either, so it kinda is extra insult when he does it. We would much rather prefer him to go on the floor. He also I guess has been peeing in the laundry room. I leave at 6:45, the g/f gets home at 8 and he has pee'd in that timeframe, even after going outside right before I leave each morning. He has plenty of toys and dosen't really mess with anything that isn't already his. The g/f wants to get him neutered and is hoping that stops it, I think its just a training issue at this point.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I have honestly thought about a UTI, but it dosen't look as if he is having any issues. He isn't allowed on the couches either, so it kinda is extra insult when he does it. We would much rather prefer him to go on the floor. He also I guess has been peeing in the laundry room. I leave at 6:45, the g/f gets home at 8 and he has pee'd in that timeframe, even after going outside right before I leave each morning. He has plenty of toys and dosen't really mess with anything that isn't already his. The g/f wants to get him neutered and is hoping that stops it, I think its just a training issue at this point.

I believe its a training thing too! How old id he?

OP
L

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
we don't know for sure, but i'm assuming he is very close to 2yrs old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nismo is not respecting you.... There is a training tool-- Nothing in life is free, look it up and use it , he needs to know you and you g/f are alpha. I would still get him checked for a UTI or bladder infection as [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] suggested... Just to be sure

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We crate all of ours when we are not home. It's the safest thing to do. Keeps them from getting into things they should not and also so they can not chew an electrical cord. The peeing on things should get better the older he gets.

OP
L

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
Nismo is not respecting you.... There is a training tool-- Nothing in life is free, look it up and use it , he needs to know you and you g/f are alpha. I would still get him checked for a UTI or bladder infection as [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] suggested... Just to be sure

Thanks. Ill look it up.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Im still not convinced that animals do anything out of "spite" or even have the first clue what "spite" means.

Definitely not when there is a significant amount of time between the event the owner thinks is spite-worthy and the spite-ful action the dog supposedly took.

These are extremely complex emotions we are ascribing to animals that I highly doubt are even capable of processing.

If I am reading this right, you feel that your dog pee'd on the couch an hour after a walk just because you weren't the one who took him on the walk.

I don't believe dogs are capable of such complex reasoning, nor do they have the rude / immature nature necessary to create a plan to "get someone back".

I do believe dogs are capable of feeling negative emotion, as a general "vibe" and that this may result in a lack of effort, motivation, or desire to comply.

But to cunningly plan a scheme for revenge seems to be putting human traits on an animal.

In fact i was reading the other day - that its humans erroneous tendency to think that the dog is intentionally disobeying which leads to the mentality of "competition" with the animal, resentment from the owner, and aggressive punishment that often leads to abuse. Most people who have abused animals 99% of the time will immediately tell you that the animal intentionally challenges them.

I will tell you that the more aggressive, volatile, loud, and rough you are with the dog when you punish him, the more events like this are going to happen. You said he gets aggressive when he's scolded. Are you hitting him? Baxter's worst days potty-training-wise were when ***** I ***** was at my worst emotionally with him. When I was the most fed up. When I was giving off a toxic, negative vibe towards him after weeks of diarrhea all over. They feed off your energy. 1,000%. Conversely his best days were when I was chipper, kind, motivating, gentle, and patient with him.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Man’s best friend may have more in common with his or her human owners than previously thought.
For the past two years, neuroscientist Gregory Berns of Emory University has been conducting a series of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans on canines – including his pet terrier Callie – and he says his findings show that dogs have the same capacity to experience emotions, such as love and attachment, as humans.
In a recent op-ed in The New York Times, Berns argued that this emotional aptitude must mean that “dogs are people, too,” and they should be afforded many of the same rights as people.
Because dogs cannot speak, Berns said that scientists have relied on behavioral observations to better understand what dogs are thinking. This can be tricky, since researchers cannot truly comprehend why a dog performs a certain action or how the dog feels about it.
“By looking directly at their brains and bypassing the constraints of behaviorism, MRIs can tell us about dogs’ internal states,” Berns argued in The New York Times.
Along with his friend Mark Spivak, a dog trainer, Berns trained his dog Callie and other canine volunteers to enter the MRI scanner in order to measure the dogs’ brain responses to two hand signals. Through these tests, Berns noted a striking similarity between dogs and humans in a region of the brain called the caudate nucleus – an area associated with anticipation of things people enjoy.
“… Many of the same things that activate the human caudate, which are associated with positive emotions, also activate the dog caudate,” Berns wrote in The New York Times. “Neuroscientists call this a functional homology, and it may be an indication of canine emotions.”
Because of this finding, Berns said it’s possible that dogs experience a level of sentience comparable to human children, suggesting that people should reconsider how they think of their pets.
“Perhaps someday we may see a case arguing for a dog’s rights based on brain-imaging findings,” Berns wrote in The New York Times

OP
L

Largekid

Jan 22, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Nismo
Im still not convinced that animals do anything out of "spite" or even have the first clue what "spite" means.

Definitely not when there is a significant amount of time between the event the owner thinks is spite-worthy and the spite-ful action the dog supposedly took.

These are extremely complex emotions we are ascribing to animals that I highly doubt are even capable of processing.

If I am reading this right, you feel that your dog pee'd on the couch an hour after a walk just because you weren't the one who took him on the walk.

I don't believe dogs are capable of such complex reasoning, nor do they have the rude / immature nature necessary to create a plan to "get someone back".

I do believe dogs are capable of feeling negative emotion, as a general "vibe" and that this may result in a lack of effort, motivation, or desire to comply.

But to cunningly plan a scheme for revenge seems to be putting human traits on an animal.

In fact i was reading the other day - that its humans erroneous tendency to think that the dog is intentionally disobeying which leads to the mentality of "competition" with the animal, resentment from the owner, and aggressive punishment that often leads to abuse. Most people who have abused animals 99% of the time will immediately tell you that the animal intentionally challenges them.

I will tell you that the more aggressive, volatile, loud, and rough you are with the dog when you punish him, the more events like this are going to happen. You said he gets aggressive when he's scolded. Are you hitting him? Baxter's worst days potty-training-wise were when ***** I ***** was at my worst emotionally with him. When I was the most fed up. When I was giving off a toxic, negative vibe towards him after weeks of diarrhea all over. They feed off your energy. 1,000%. Conversely his best days were when I was chipper, kind, motivating, gentle, and patient with him.

Just my $0.02

I do not agree with what you say, but for the sake of constructive criticism what do you feel the issue is then? And FYI, I do not hit my dog. I will grab his hind end in a large "pinch" and put his rear to the ground. Similar to the grab you would do on their neck. Then I will grab his jaw and have him look in my face as I tell him what he was doing wrong. If I do not adjust his view he will stare at the ground and try to ignore me. I can not say whether or not the previous owners hit him, but he is fairly unagressive. The aggression I do see is when I grab his neck and take him to his bad potty spot to show him what he did wrong. He dosent like to be told he messed up and will growl and snarl up when we get there.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.