Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crate training.Help!

The first night I got Rocco I put him in the crate and he cried like someone was killing him. So we let him sleep in the bed. I woke up to pee on the bed and that's the last time he slept in the bed. The second night, I put him in the crate and he cried for about 20 minutes then went to sleep. Haven't had a problem since. I know it sounds mean but ignoring them is the best way to get them used to it. He only goes in the crate at bedtime and when he's home alone and besides trying to make a run for it when I put him in there and escape, he doesn't make a sound when locked up. Now if I can only get him to stop biting my hands arms and feet, we'd be in great shape lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Highway
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I think all of our advice is going to be about the same. I did almost the exact same thing as everyone else and endured the pain of Gunny whining and crying while in his crate the first night. I did let him out about every 2 hours to go potty though. Every night after that got easier and easier. That first night is tough and you feel so bad but it does get easier for them and you as the nights go by.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nikegirl44 View Post
    Ah you are lucky with Harlea, she sounds wonderful, no whining after the first night!

Yeah, we have to stay presistant, your right. It's just hard to hear her cry for so long.

Did you guys only crate her at night? Or did you crate her for naps while your home so she gets used to it?

Thanks so much!
    Sometimes we would crate her for naps and others we let her stay where she passes out if you know what I mean. It all depended on if we needed to do something or run a quick errand or not.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Aww Im sorry! We didnt have to deal with the crying at night. But we did pin her up in the bathroom with a baby gate the first two weeks. She had a bed and some toys and I guess that helped with her crate transition. We did try the crate at first but the one we had was too big and she got her head stuck in the side of it. So I couldnt risk that again! Hopefully things get better with your baby!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all your responses. We basically know what we have to do, but it is a lot better hearing it from all of you!

Last night we just fought through it and let her cry. It seemed like it was all night long, because I feel I got NO sleep! Lol. And when we take her potty every 2 hours she just is so happy to see us, she gets super excited and starts running around like a crazy puppy and plays. So we have to wait it out until she finally does her business usually about 10-20 min later. Then back in the crate and back to the whining and crying and barking.

You guys are right, it will get easier as time goes by. We never thought we would make it through Tubby's puppy months but we conquered! Lol

I did just order some Bach rescue remedy though to try it at night time and see if that helps her desperation anxiety. Has anyone tried this, and if so did it help?

Thanks again for all your responses. Sometimes I think the reassuring and encouragement makes all the difference! You guys truly rock!!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all your responses. We basically know what we have to do, but it is a lot better hearing it from all of you!

Last night we just fought through it and let her cry. It seemed like it was all night long, because I feel I got NO sleep! Lol. And when we take her potty every 2 hours she just is so happy to see us, she gets super excited and starts running around like a crazy puppy and plays. So we have to wait it out until she finally does her business usually about 10-20 min later. Then back in the crate and back to the whining and crying and barking.

You guys are right, it will get easier as time goes by. We never thought we would make it through Tubby's puppy months but we conquered! Lol

I did just order some Bach rescue remedy though to try it at night time and see if that helps her desperation anxiety. Has anyone tried this, and if so did it help?

Thanks again for all your responses. Sometimes I think the reassuring and encouragement makes all the difference! You guys truly rock!!
    These guys are AWESOME here! I couldn't have gotten Sheldon as healthy as he is now without them!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Guess what?? So I decided to put a blanket in the crate for her to lay on, even though we had a nightmare with Tubby peeing and pooping on every towel or blanket that we put in his crate when he was little lol! Ok back to Poppy, put a blanket in there, a nice and cozy one. Put her in there and covered the crate, went to the bedroom and waited for the unrelenting whining and barking to start. And 20 min later, not a peep from her! I was even worried that I went to check on her, she didn't even look at me, she just rolled over on her side and went back to sleep all comfy!!

Looks like we will be getting some sleep tonight!! Thanks again for the help, good night all!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Guess what?? So I decided to put a blanket in the crate for her to lay on, even though we had a nightmare with Tubby peeing and pooping on every towel or blanket that we put in his crate when he was little lol! Ok back to Poppy, put a blanket in there, a nice and cozy one. Put her in there and covered the crate, went to the bedroom and waited for the unrelenting whining and barking to start. And 20 min later, not a peep from her! I was even worried that I went to check on her, she didn't even look at me, she just rolled over on her side and went back to sleep all comfy!!

Looks like we will be getting some sleep tonight!! Thanks again for the help, good night all!
    *Clapping* YaY Poppy!!! Wonderful news!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Dana F
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
    Likes (Received)

Your first mistake was letting her out of the crate and putting her in bed with you. Let her cry..she will get use to it. When your at home put her in the crate for a few mins . I would tell Stinky to "kennel up" and put a treat in the crate and shut the door. At night I use a cover over half the crate and put a night light by it, so he can see me and me him. He is 10 months old and we still use the night light...hehe

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Roxy lowery, Stella Lowery
    Likes (Received)

I ment put a towel over the front... But if the crate is only big enough for them to move front to back they shouldn't poo or pee where they have to lay no matter how long they are in there... Mine never have and poor Stella came from some where, where they just left her in a house for days to do her business where ever she wanted. And she was fine no accidents.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You have already gotten a lot of great advice. You just have to be patient and persistent, until she gets used to being in the crate. We were lucky when we brought our two guys home, because the breeder had already crate trained them in their home, so they were used to it. Also they are siblings and litter mates, so we had a double crate and they were together, so maybe that helped? When they got older and bigger, we put them in their own crates, because Blossom has way more energy and is full of beans, so is is always in play mode, and won't let Dozer sleep. Dozer is very laid back, dare I say lazy, that's why we call him Dozey sometimes. Lol. He just wants to sleep. Good luck. Maybe you could try putting one of your shirts in the crate with her, so she would have your scent.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads