Peeing.

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi all.

Meaty is only 8 weeks old but is already doing good he his to the kitchen when he wants out. He has had a cupple of accidents (pees ) I'm just wondering when he does a accident what should I do. My grama says to rub his nose in it then put him out side but is that Crule ?? Tia x

Gemma

Mar 28, 2013
Southport, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Yep, that's definitely cruel don't do it, he is a baby and he can't help it. At 8 weeks old his bladder is too small to hold it in, the fact that he stands by the door shows he knows he has to go outside to use the toilet. Accidents happen it will take until he is about 5 months until it stops completely. I know my boyf got frustrated with our Bulldog but the little pup is trying his best so he just needs patience!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
^ exactly. Plus rubbing his nose in it won't get you anywhere as you don't know how long it's been on the floor. Unless you catch him in the act and give him a firm NO or let him know that's wrong, he will not know why you are scolding him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Yea ano what u mean. When he wakes up if he doesnt get to the door he will pee the carpet bit al just keep putting him out side x

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Just keep him on a schedule. THats the best way for him to get use to going outside. Its hard.. Trust me.. lol WE still have problems with Daisy and she she is almost 7 months!!! And yes its cruel to rub their noses in it.. Hes too little he doesnt know any better :/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have stated.... rubbing their nose in it does nothing..... just stay consistent and get the little guy on a good schedule. Keep in mind they can only hold their bladder one hour more than they are months old (i.e 2 months old... hold bladder for 3 hours)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Positive reinforcement goes a long way. Treats and praise each time they do their business outside, bullies are so motivated this way!

When I clean up a mess I only get mad at the mess, never to the pup. I will pretend cry and whimper like its a very sad thing for me to clean it up. They think it makes me so very sad and they don't want that... They seem to pick up on that very quickly. If they get scolded for it they will run and hide so it does no good except create a game of hide and seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Positive reinforcement goes a long way. Treats and praise each time they do their business outside, bullies are so motivated this way!

When I clean up a mess I only get mad at the mess, never to the pup. I will pretend cry and whimper like its a very sad thing for me to clean it up. They think it makes me so very sad and they don't want that... They seem to pick up on that very quickly. If they get scolded for it they will run and hide so it does no good except create a game of hide and seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I can't stress positive reinforcement enough Sheldon loves hearing he is a good boy and loves hearing the praise and loves he gets when he does good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

B

Baxter Tiberius

I learned the hard way that Baxter truly didn't know he was doing anything wrong.
For a few weeks you will need to do your best to initiate the peeing yourself.
Meaning take him to the proper pee spot with a treat (i used blueberries), every hour.
Then give him a blueberry and praise him.
This is the hardest part: When he pees inside, wrong place, on something, etc .... say a very stern "No", but don't do anything else.
No contact. No nose pressing. Nothing.
With this breed, a negative vibe and a stern NO is sufficient to get the message across.
They are so sensitive to tone of our voice its shocking to me.
If you don't catch him in the act, do ... absolutely ... nothing.
The only thing you'll do is create angry / scary / bad energy between the two of you.
This will work against you in the future, as he won't bond with you as much.
Every hour, take him to his proper location.
Expect hundreds (literally) of accidents.

Treats at the proper location is the key to success.

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Thanks guys.. At night he goes in his crate he normally crus when he wants out if av not herd or got up quick enough he will get out of bed and pee in the other side. Should I just continue what am doing by saying no and putting him straight out still ? Tia

Members online

No members online now.