Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It started from her going for Shy just because there was a bit of food that girls didn't finish in the floor ,most probably fell from Lily's mouth as she ears like a piggy
While food is Lilys trigger i hand feed them from one bowl that i was holding on my lap- having them in sit position at all times on either side of me -to prevent resource guarding ,this os going pretty smooth ,but after feeding Lily hair is raised up -she look like a persian cat that went through tumble dryer
And she tries to go for Shy (it first happened yesterday morning)
I tend to stop her in her tracks have her on sit to calm her down a bit
Shy is pretty much a submissive dog ,she will not fight back unless she is really hurt
I want to stop this behaviour while shark is young , so i was wondering what other (positive reinforcement) tips you could give me .
Im thinking that Lily might soon come into heat maybe that is why shes getting a grumpy girl , not sure if her eyes have anything to do with it
Once lily have her 5 min to calm down everything is going great

Edit: forgot to add that Lily is not trying to bite Shy more like trying to scare her off (if this makes any sense )

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have no idea as mine only have boy parts but I am sending love and hugs :hug::hug2::hug::hug2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well when Bella would go into heat or mostly before... she was very grumpy!!! Doggie PMS... LOL Winston tries to bully Roxie around, and sometimes I will let them work it out... Roxie really needs to step up, she is way more submissive. But if it starts getting bad I will intervene... I'm sure it's mostly Lilly just being a puppy. Sometimes I will distract Winston by doing commands to get him out of his puppy bully modes. Good Luck!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It sounds like grumpy heat behavior, I tagged Lisa and David to give some advice too.

but, it also sounds to me that she is trying to show alpha behavior too... Banks has been this way since we got her at 11 weeks old, she is now 8 and still try's to 'puff her chest' to us and others dogs ALL the time, you need to be able to recognize the signal that she is come and quickly redirect her before she zones and and the fight happens. We learned Banks at about 1 yr old, we spent many weeks in training at our home to learn to spot her signals. Anyone can do this... It is you, Pati!

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for your replies ,im not 100% sure if it is alpha behaviour as Lily usually goes on her belly when meting new dogs or while playing with Shy ,i was surprised seeing her like this ,so i thought im going to try to redirect (modify) her behaviour (if she was my flesh and blood with pms i wouldn't be surprised lol)
I cant remember how my family boxers acted like ,and all my first time dogs where neutered or spayed early -lily is the first one not spayed xx

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she is getting close to going into heat, then this has a lot to do with it. Hormones going crazy and they do get moody. I think you are doing a great job with the way you are feeding them. Make them earn everything. If Lily gets too grumpy and wanting to go after Shy when eatting, then feed Shy first and make Lily wait, and then feed her last. This will reenforce that you are in control. :)

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
If she is getting close to going into heat, then this has a lot to do with it. Hormones going crazy and they do get moody. I think you are doing a great job with the way you are feeding them. Make them earn everything. If Lily gets too grumpy and wanting to go after Shy when eatting, then feed Shy first and make Lily wait, and then feed her last. This will reenforce that you are in control. :)

Thank you David
I have a small rule in the house when it comes to my girls , nothing is for free -they have to work hard for treats and food - it might sound cruel but otherwise i would have two out of control dogs
I think shes getting close to the heat , she pees more (i also check her for uti just to make sure,and her vulva is starting to be a bit bigger than usual )

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you David
I have a small rule in the house when it comes to my girls , nothing is for free -they have to work hard for treats and food - it might sound cruel but otherwise i would have two out of control dogs
)

Nothing cruel about it... It is perfect!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] nothing cruel about it, actually they are happier when there is structure in the house, great job. :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.