Commands

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Maggie wasn't taught any commands with any of her previous owners which is a crying shame seeing as that she's 4 and was bred for 3 litters with "professional breeders". She's just got to the point where we are close enough that she will sit and train with me. I've started with the simple sit command. How long does it usually take bullies to learn? My previous dogs picked up commands so fast but she's very stubborn. Shocked. I can barely force her butt down when she doesn't sit. Any advice? It doesn't help that she really doesn't care about food. Or anything. So she's not very motivated.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It all depends on the individual dog , keep at it and one thing at the time ,it will soon become what i call "muscle memory " ;-) they say bullies are stubborn ;-))

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Pati stated.... train on one thing at a time, as her trust and bond grow with you she will respond better. Remember, as you stated, she was just a breeding pup and probably had very little human interaction

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree w the above. Lick one thing to train and do it for about 10 min maybe 3-4 times a day. Bullies are smart, they get it before they show us cos they have to figure out if they want to or feel like doing what we r telling them...lol Brie learned sit in a few days, down and hi-five took about a week or so. At first, getting her to Come was a crap shoot...I have a 50/50 chance depending on what she is doing, but w a treat I greatly increase the chances in my favor. She is much better w it now tho. Just be patient and consistent and the training will work

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
It took me a month to get Rocco to sit lol. No I'm working on giving paw (with no end in sight). Just keep at it and eventually she'll get it!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.