Help Needed! My frenchie doesn't eat out of his food bowl

xxMJxx

Oct 3, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Hypnos
My frenchie is 15 months old. We recently moved to England and he has been adjusting. However, lately he does not eat out of his food bowl. He will eat his food if I hand feed it to him and eventually if its on the floor. Occasionally he will eat out of his food bowl, but not like before.
I am not sure if he is just being picky and I am teaching bad habits by hand feeding him, but has this happened to anyone? And any suggestions?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
My male bully did that for awhile, I would give him about 6 or 7 pieces and then he would eat the rest out of his bowl. I called it priming him up. We changed to a different flavor of FROMM and now he eats fine. Maybe you little guy is still adjusting and will soon be over this, or he is getting tired of the flavor.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I haven't experienced this but I wouldn't want to get him used to it per say! I know it fustrates you as you don't want to see him not eat. I would try using a topper on the kibble or maybe adding some chicken broth/beef broth to encourage him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He just needs to adjust to his new surroundings..... Roe and David gave some good suggestion to get him back to the bowl

OP
xxMJxx

xxMJxx

Oct 3, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Hypnos
Thank you all for your advice! I do give him a few pieces of food and sometimes he then goes to the bowl but often times snubs it. I will keep trying and try the broth too!

I definitely do not want him to get used to being hand fed, and become an ever bigger mama's boy!

He has been in the UK for almost a month now so maybe he just needs more time!

Also, since I am here, can someone recommend a good kibble for him? I am new to the UK and found a decent pet store not too far from me. I used to live in france and here the brands are different and i feel i can find more healthier choices then what i had in my little country side village! I currently put him on James welbeloved but have read mixed reviews. Any thoughts on this food or other suggestions?

Thank you again everyone for all your help!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus is on Merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato twice a day with a topping of sugar free plain greek yogurt(about 2tsp on each serving). He seems to enjoy it. It is listed as a six star food on this site. Have you gone to the food and nutrition section? It will be a great help.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh we need a pic of that cute little frenchie baby!!! :D

OP
xxMJxx

xxMJxx

Oct 3, 2013
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Hypnos
cute.jpg 1st christmas.jpg 1st day home.jpg sleepy.jpg Here is my baby!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you all for your advice! I do give him a few pieces of food and sometimes he then goes to the bowl but often times snubs it. I will keep trying and try the broth too!

I definitely do not want him to get used to being hand fed, and become an ever bigger mama's boy!

He has been in the UK for almost a month now so maybe he just needs more time!

Also, since I am here, can someone recommend a good kibble for him? I am new to the UK and found a decent pet store not too far from me. I used to live in france and here the brands are different and i feel i can find more healthier choices then what i had in my little country side village! I currently put him on James welbeloved but have read mixed reviews. Any thoughts on this food or other suggestions?

Thank you again everyone for all your help!

Here is a link to our Dog Food Ratings Page http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?5483-Dog-Food-Ratings

This will help guide you in the right direction. I know options are different in the UK! I would look around and research what is available in your area. If you are able to get Fromm its a great food and many bullies do very well on it! If you are switching be sure to stick with the same proetin if possible. We are always here to help

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=9999]xxMJxx[/MENTION] my french bulldog/Boston terrier mix refuses to eat if we go anywhere for the weekend (and he won't poop either) it takes him about 3 days or so before he eats. I think it's stress or excitement of the new environment but we just leave a full bowl of food for him and he eats when he is ready. As long as he is not lethargic and still acting live himself (playful drinking water) I wouldn't really worry about it, he's probably just adjusting to his new environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.