POTTY TRAINING.....

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
hi all....this question is not for me but for my 2 daughters and my granddaughter that just recently became the owners of 2 boxer puppies...brother and sister......they both work and my granddaughter is in school so the puppies have to be crated from about 9 in the morning untill 5:30 in the evening......they have help that comes over on a few days to let the puppies out to play and potty....but there are days coming up to where the puppies will not be able to be out of the crate during these hours.....what is the best way to handle this.....i know the poor babies can't hold the potty thing all day.....any suggestions.....i was fortunate to be able to be home with Forde while potty training him so i don't really have any ideas of what is best way to deal with this:) thanks, glenna

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sorry im not much help here , i never left puppies that long - maybe get someone permanently to come in few times a day until pups are able to hold a little longer ir a potty trained?
Im not sure if leaving them so long will help potty train them faster as they might get used to pee on a pee pad in their crates -and while pee pads gets removed worse case scenario will be they will associate part of the crate as their potty place (thats just a theory)
When i got my first pup i got a free time from work to make sure i potty trained mine then i had someone come to the apartment and let my puppy out few times a day -that worked for us x

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
thanks....exactly what i was thinking....it may cause them to regress with their training :(

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its hard work ,but eventually they will. Get there xx maybe neighbour that they trust could help them

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I remember reading on this site, someone who had a "playpen" attached to the pups crate, where he could sleep in crate, and puppy pad was out in the playpen area.
There are available different sized(and heights) wire pens that you can buy. I have raised some pups that way, if I had to be gone all day. It sure would be a long day to be confined in a crate, with no other area. Just a suggestion. Where I live there are no such things as "dog walkers"-not too many pet lovers(you know-the "dogs belong outside" types....):nope:

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
:) thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I remember reading on this site, someone who had a "playpen" attached to the pups crate, where he could sleep in crate, and puppy pad was out in the playpen area.
There are available different sized(and heights) wire pens that you can buy. I have raised some pups that way, if I had to be gone all day. It sure would be a long day to be confined in a crate, with no other area. Just a suggestion. Where I live there are no such things as "dog walkers"-not too many pet lovers(you know-the "dogs belong outside" types....):nope:
:goodpost:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
even though they are not Bulldogs.... still can help others and you'll get more response if in the 'training' section ;)

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I was actually really lucky with this I think! We brought June home at 8 weeks and for the first 2 or 3 weeks my bf was able to come home during lunch to take her out, feed her, etc. But when school started (he's a fb coach) he wasn't able to come home anymore and she only had an accident in her crate maybe the first 2 or 3 days. After that she has been able to hold it all day (from 8am-4:30). She also has been able to hold it all night since about 9 or 10 weeks which were really surprising to us. She just never made a peep till the morning! I think she's just gotten used to our schedule (now her's) so it may work out sooner than you think!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Have you thought about hiring a dog walker? I am fortunate because I work from home now but with my older dogs I needed up hiring a dog walker for the first year to let my dogs out a couple times a day. It can be costly but at least he won't be caged all day - I really don't think it's healthy to keep a dog kenneled that long either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
They make those synthetic squares of grass that they use as a potty patch and all you have to do is empty the urine from them and pick the poo up if it were me I'd get the play area thing and put one of those in it so they have a place to go making them hold it that long or making them stay in those conditions could cause health problems down the road I'd think. I have seen those potty patches advertise on tv before.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.