Taking Curly out too much?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curly will be 12 wks tomorrow. Right now he is 95% puppy pad trained and about 75% of the time he does #2 outside but I'm not 100% sure if he knows yet that is an acceptable place to go.

I'm trying to ween him off the puppy pads though and only go outside. So I've kept a schedule of taking him out every two hours from 6AM - 10 PM (last feeding at 5 PM)

My husband today noticed that I was taking him out very two hours and told me that he thinks it's a bit excessive. However I replied that every time I do take Curly out he does #1 each time and #2 every other time. I think ideally I need to take him out every 30 mins so he doesn't #1 on the pads but it's a lot of work to take him out (he can't go down stairs yet so i need to carry 20 lbs down two flights of stairs, we have a lot of stairs)

Am I going overboard with taking him out every two hours? With the other two dogs we have housebreaking was easy because we had a yard and confined them to the first floor so we just let them out every hour. Now the older ones are on a 4 walks a day schedule and both are completely housebroken.

Wherever my husband PCS next I'm going to push for a yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, your schedule is great for the first few months, and then you should try to stretch the time by one hour each week, so he learns to hold his pee. When we first brought our guys home, we took them out every hour or two, for the first two months, then we increased the time by an hour each week, we also set our cell phone alarm for 2 am, and took them out at night. They were totally trained by the age of 5 months, and are now 19 months old. They go out 4 or 5 times a day now.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would say keep w/the schedule since he's doing so well... maybe try to stretch it out gradually!!! OMG it took Winston like 8 mos to be fully trained, and we still have our moments!!! :cursing: BTW my hubby is retired Army, so I've been there done that have the tee-shirt to boot!!! LOL He's actually in Afghanistan right now as an IC so it really never ENDS :D

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree that your schedule sounds just right for now! When I was potty training two pups and went to visit my sister, she has steps-I only have 4. After being there 2 weeks, I lost weight-it's tiring-but could benefit,too! (though you may NOT need to lose weight-I did!) Hang in there!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
It sounds like you're doing such a great job potty-training Curly (love that name, btw)!! When I lived in a condo I strictly stuck with the pee pads b/c going up/down 3 flts of stairs was too much for me with the two boys. So what you're doing sounds pretty awesome. :up:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, your schedule is great and as others have said, as he gets older you can stretch the time out. Our 19 week old can hold it all night long and we take her out about every 4 to 5 hours during the day, and she is doing great.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I think you're doing the right thing to take him out that often. We're on the third floor and I spent a lot of time in the elevator or carrying Castor up and down the stairs the first month (we got him when he was about ten weeks). It definitely paid off!

Most Reactions