Jumping up on me.....

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Ugh, Lucy has started this new thing where she jumps up on me. She used to do it when she was a puppy but I got her to stop by turning my back to her when she did it, to ignore her. That worked great but now when I turn away she just jumps on my back.

It seems like she's trying to play but it is way too rough and I can't get her to stop. These last few weeks or so she seems to be very excitable. I can't think of anything that has changed in the house to cause it. When I get down on the floor to play with her she will dart her head side to side very quickly and then lunge at me.

I suspect it's a 'leader of the pack' issue but until this started happening I thought we had the pack order pretty much established. Do they try to reassert themselves as leader? I watch my two young grandkids one day a week and I want to get this fixed so they don't ever get hurt by one of these episodes.

Oy vey, bulldogs are work! Lol!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feel your pain... I think personally one of the hardest things to teach a bulldog is not to jump on people. Once you teach them not to jump on you, which is a huge challenge, then it's the challenge of them not jumping on friends and visitors which is a million times harder!

Spending time on a lead and practicing commands, and if you have a friend or neighbor or two you can ask to come over to help is always very helpful. It's so hard for bulldogs because they love people and their humans so much it's hard for them to be calm. When they are excited they can barely contain themselves! Although that is part of the reason it makes them so wonderful, it's not easy to teach them to be calm for sure.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Great advice was given already . Im not sure if this is a leader issue (sorry i dont follow the pack leader type of thing) your bully gets exited -especially if someone walks in when my girls are exited i ask them to sit -they have well mastered sit and stay command -i give them few minutes to calm down before approaching them again
While we were training i asked my guests to ignore my girls so they wont get used to constant flow of attention (not everyone likes dogs) ,so they wont associate visitors with cuddles

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for the replies! The weird thing is that she really doesn't even jump on other people anymore. The 'turning your back' trick really worked. She only does this new jumping thing with me. It's like she's trying to kick my @ss. Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with previous post.... good luck and I would say if it is only you she does this to.... you are her playmate not a leader :eek:

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Christine, I am thinking you are 100% correct. I gotta straighten this girl out!

ChrisRN, thanks! Right now she is lucky she is cute. Lol!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki is really bad at jumping too! We tell him no jump all the time so I can normally tell when he is about to jump and I can say "Don't even think about it" then he will squat back down. We taught him bully hugs when he was younger where we get down on our knees and he jumps up and put his arms around our necks and hugs.

OP
Deestar

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Bully hugs, I love it!

My husband put me in touch with one of his co-workers who does some dog training on the side. He told me to keep the leash on her at all times. I gotta say it's great. When she looks like she's gonna jump up I just grab the leash right close to the collar and she can't jump anywhere.

ozzybabyboy

Aug 12, 2013
Houston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
we are currently having this problem with our bully, he mainly jumps on my girlfriend and other people that come to the house. He's learned im pretty strict about him jumping on me but he does it very seldomly. I will have to try the turning around method see if that helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.