Quiet as a mouse

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
Maggie's previous owner told me that Maggie barked about once a day. However I have had her for four months and I have not heard a peep. Not a growl. Not a whimper. Not a mumble. Nothing. I'm just curious why you guys think she doesn't vocalize around me. Is it out of comfort or discomfort?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Maybe she's content, silence is a good thing. :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Maggie's previous owner told me that Maggie barked about once a day. However I have had her for four months and I have not heard a peep. Not a growl. Not a whimper. Not a mumble. Nothing. I'm just curious why you guys think she doesn't vocalize around me. Is it out of comfort or discomfort?

I would say probably comfort

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas rarely barks, not even if someone rings the door bell, but when he is afraid of something or something god forbid is out of place he will bark his head off.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I hate to say I've tried to induce barking. I've tried scaring her. Getting her really excited. Nothing!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
So I had Dudley for about two weeks or so (got him as an 8-week-old puppy) and I say to Scott (BF), like an idiot, he never barks...I don't know what his bark sounds like! Be careful what you wish for...he barks -- I think he thinks he's talking -- quite a lot now!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I hate to say I've tried to induce barking. I've tried scaring her. Getting her really excited. Nothing!

Sheldon rarely barks usually only either at things he just discovered made a noise or opens when it shouldn't as well as things out of place. Nothing should ever be out of its place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My boy was like this.... rarely did he bark unless he was playing. And, my Frenchie is the same way... barks only during play

My girl.. Banks... bark, bark, bark, bark and more bark at everything

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel

That's HILARIOUS! When we scare Ruthie she never barks she just gets wild eyes and runs away..LOL. When we first got her she never barked and we just gave up thinking she'll just not bark, which we were fine with. Then one day, we heard an odd little sound, it was the cutest noise we had ever heard, and that was the start of her barking. Some days now, she won't shut up. Enjoy the silence..hahaha.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I would say she's comfortable with you. I have two guys and they don't bark either. The only time they really make any sounds is when they are playing, they will play tug of war, and play growl, or they will whine when they have to go potty, to let me know they have to go out.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Sounds like a content baby to me. Raven only barks if my husband is rough housing with her and hiding her toy. The only other instances is if she hears something that sound off like someone falling or what she perceives may be a threat to our family and if I am ignoring her when she has to go potty in an emergency. Otherwise she is very quiet. They each have their own personalities and quirks. Silence is a good thing at times.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sone dogs ,bullies or not just dont bark -i think your babyus so comfortable she doesn't have a need to x
Lily only barks when she wants to argue with me or go out potty
Shy on the other hand being deaf- "loves her voice" !!!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I am so jealous! We can't stop playing, look away, make dinner, make a phone call, use the bathroom, take a shower, etc. without her barking at us. She loves her voice too I guess :) We, on the other hand, are about to lose our hearing from her high pitch voice. Hoping that will calm down too once she gets out of her shark puppy phase... but we'll see!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have one pup that is so vocal, I actually wonder if she IS deaf! Even if she is playing by herself-seems like she has to make ALOT of noise! Never had such a noisy one. Now I think the others are starting to copy.....yikes!:ohmy:Enjoy the quiet there!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Comfort I am thinking too.

- - - Updated - - -

I am so jealous! We can't stop playing, look away, make dinner, make a phone call, use the bathroom, take a shower, etc. without her barking at us. She loves her voice too I guess :) We, on the other hand, are about to lose our hearing from her high pitch voice. Hoping that will calm down too once she gets out of her shark puppy phase... but we'll see!
Loki also has the puppy bark and the mean dog bark. Kind of funny since most dogs only have one bark

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.