nipping during play

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I'm dogsitting a friend's Boston terrier and when my bully Agnes tries to play with him, it seems like he is constantly biting and nipping her. I've seen her play with a lot of big dogs in my neighborhood and at the dog Park and I've never seen that behavior. I've seen the other dogs and Aggie mouth a little here and there but not constant biting. I'm afraid he's going to get her eye or something so now I'm keeping them separated. Am I being paranoid? Is this normal? Is it just a small dog behavior? Agnes is only 40lbs at 9 months so she's not huge compared to him. ..

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco is about 22 lbs and 3.5 months old now and I'v experienced the same thing just this past weekend. He was with a 15 yo dachsund and a 2 yr old jack russel/chihuahua mix. The dachsund minds his own business but Rocco kept going after him and antagonizing him and nipping at him so there is a case where my dog did the nipping and I had to keep separating them. The chihuahua/jack russell mix played alot with Rocco but at some points, he would nip at Rocco. But Rocco kept going back for more which I couldn't understand. I guess he's a glutton for punishment lol. I am assuming that this is normal but I am curious myself to see who chimes in. At least you know you're not alone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is normal puppy play... they should correct each other but you need to watch and stop any behavior you do not agree with. i am also going to tag a few members with puppy experience

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree it is puppy play and you will need to step in if it gets too rough.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy, I would agree, definitely sounds like typical puppy play and at 9 months that's whole lotta puppy. Puppies/dogs play differently with one than they do another. When Jack and Wilson were young (they're 3 weeks apart) I purposely broke their play up because they'd start playing too hard with each other. They still play quite rough at times. This could be a good time to work with Agnes too. I would let them play but when the behavior needs correcting stand in front of the Boston like you're owning her and correct Agnes with a "settle". The standing in front of the other one is a training tip I learned recently and boy does it work well. It might take a few times but she'll get the hint. Puppies need to learn their boundaries too. :yes:

It's totally normal too.

OP
heavyblankets

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Ohh I think I made it confusing - the 2 year old Boston is constantly nipping my 9 month old bully! Fear came true today too- Aggie got a tiny cut right next to her eye from him going for her face. :-(

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Ohh I think I made it confusing - the 2 year old Boston is constantly nipping my 9 month old bully! Fear came true today too- Aggie got a tiny cut right next to her eye from him going for her face. :-(

Rocco had the same thing happen to him when he first met the Chihuahua mix last month. small cut by his eye

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
heavyblankets

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
It's scary, isn't it?! I thought I was being over protective First time dog mom getting worried about it and then my fear comes true! They're staying separated for the remainder of dogsitting time. I also don't want Agnes to pick up inappropriate play habits. She's been nothing but good with other dogs so far. Her only fault is that she doesn't seem to get the hint when other dogs aren't playing nice or want to be left alone. I'm hoping that's a puppy quality that she'll grow out of.

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
It's scary, isn't it?! I thought I was being over protective First time dog mom getting worried about it and then my fear comes true! They're staying separated for the remainder of dogsitting time. I also don't want Agnes to pick up inappropriate play habits. She's been nothing but good with other dogs so far. Her only fault is that she doesn't seem to get the hint when other dogs aren't playing nice or want to be left alone. I'm hoping that's a puppy quality that she'll grow out of.

Exactly! Even after that Rocco kept going back for more. I'm assuming possibly the small dogs may feel a little threatened by the bigger bullies even though they are just playing. I think as they get older and not in that puppy play mode they will have more sense to back off from a dog who growls and/or snaps at them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Puppy play! Loki used to do this to our neighbors yellow lab Duke that was much bigger then him but was fine with their other lab Dozer. Finally one day Duke had enough and he snapped back at Loki and he has been nicer since.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online