Dog on the couch?!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Do you allow your dogs on the couch? If not, how did you teach them that the couch is off limits?

Today, I found Castor on the couch and he looked very relaxed and very proud! When he's home alone, we close the bedroom doors, but apart from that he has access to all rooms. As long as he doesn't bite or destroy things we don't want to limit his space, but I would prefer him to stay on the floor. Any suggestions? Getting him his own little couch, perhaps? Or a cover for the couch (but will he then know when it's ok and when it's not ok to get up on the couch?).

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sorry no help here, Brutus has couch access. He loves to sit with the family and watch tv at night when everyone is together. We have a leather couch so clean up is super easy. I guess that makes a difference.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
No help here either. We tried to keep her off the couch and that didn't go so well. She can sit/sleep anywhere she wants to at this point. LOL. We keep her off the couch if we are eating there though. That's the only time.

Kimmy

Jun 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurley Who MaGoo
Hurley is welcome on all the furniture in our home but only if invited. If the kids are all over and we watching a movie Hurley knows she isn't welcome to sit with anyone. She has her big blankie and her bone and will fall asleep under one of the reclyners. If just me and hubby she is allowed on couch with her dad. She sleeps in our bed with us but if we are in bed watching tv she has to be on floor with blankie and bone. This is just the way I raised her as with all of my other dogs. She knows what the word "off" means. And if anyone in our home is eating Hurley must be crated. I find it just a bit rude for her to stare people down waiting for a crumb to fall. She is also crated when we are not at home. You will find a way that works for your family. Just be consistent, your bully will do anything for food.. teaching commands and being rewarded for expected behaviour will have you laughing out loud. When Hurley was only 11 weeks old I taught her to jump up with both feet in the air while I was pointing my forefinger and thumb at her as if I were robbing her. I would say "stick em up" then would say "give me all your money" she would jump straight up with feet out and then bring both paws down into my out stretched hand then return to a sitting position.. then I would make a sound as if I had just shot her..... she slams herself down on the floor ... all for a bite of cheese.... is precious to me.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hmmmmmm, I once told Rocky to get off of the couch, He took over my Recliner, So I regrouped, Rocky lets me use the recliner, and he lays everywhere else. :) We have a mutual agreement.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our guys have free-range of all furniture... only room they are not allowed in is the guest bedroom. I leave the door cleased, but what is interesting, when I open that door, the two of them do not enter the room - they just stand at the doorway and watch me from there.

Dogs are situational, so you can teach him to not be on the furniture when you are home, but after while, you will given in -- how do you say NO to a Bully face???

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use a cover. Vegas lays where ever he wants to but at least he will lay on the covered part.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Our two boys are not allowed on the furniture. When they were pups we removed the couch to the bedroom where they're also not allowed to go.... I know...we're just plain cruel... Now that my older boy is almost 3, he doesn't even try to get on the couch. the younger one sometimes trys to get on when we're sitting on the couch, but naturally when his front paws leave the floor he's told down and that's it.
If he's been on it he knows he can get on it. If I were you I would put something not so cosy on the couch when you're away...tin foil or another smaller furniture so he can't make himself cosy.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Luckily Rocco cannot get up on the couch on his own yet. For the most part I try to keep him on the floor ad off the couch. There have been a handful of times where I let him lay with me. I keep a bed for him in the living room so when we are in there watching tv or something, if he's not trying to bite feet or misbehave, he'll usually lay in there with a bone. He is crated when nobody is home because I cannot trust him to not chew on the new leather couch when unsupervised

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
WAIT...there was a choice? You mean I didn't have to share all of the furniture with his lordship?! That can't be right...I'll have to check on that one. I'm pretty certain Dudley told me that he could sit anywhere he wanted!! Obviously, I didn't keep him off of the furniture - I liked the idea of having him sitting next to me.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I didn't want Winston on the couch, but when I was stuck in Atlanta my hubby let him do it... now he's on there all the time!!! We are moving the leather furniture downstairs... LOL

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No help here either. We tried to keep her off the couch and that didn't go so well. She can sit/sleep anywhere she wants to at this point. LOL. We keep her off the couch if we are eating there though. That's the only time.

We do that as well. Brutus seems to understand the difference. He will lay on the floor with a toy until we are done.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We do that as well. Brutus seems to understand the difference. He will lay on the floor with a toy until we are done.
Isn't that funny!!! Ruthie gets it too only she'll sit at my tray and give me those eyes. After we are done, she's back in her spot. So smart!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our two boys are not allowed on the furniture. When they were pups we removed the couch to the bedroom where they're also not allowed to go.... I know...we're just plain cruel... Now that my older boy is almost 3, he doesn't even try to get on the couch. the younger one sometimes trys to get on when we're sitting on the couch, but naturally when his front paws leave the floor he's told down and that's it.
If he's been on it he knows he can get on it. If I were you I would put something not so cosy on the couch when you're away...tin foil or another smaller furniture so he can't make himself cosy.

Tin foil?? Lol The only thing that would accomplish for me would be Brutus having shiny poops for a few days :eek:.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for all your input! You're right, RiiSi, Castor definitely knows he's able to climb onto the couch... We did put things on it when we went out tonight so that is a solution, but when we're at home we'll need to start watching him and training him not to get up on the couch.

Another way to go would be to allow him on the couch through invitation only. I'm glad that several of you say that your dogs understand when they can be on the couch and when they cannot. Castor seems to be quite easy to train (well, has been up to now, at least!) so we might be able to do that. We'll see how things develop here.

Right now he's snoring, probably dreaming of the comfort of the couch!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.