Dog on the couch?!

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
I had the same problem, as soon as I sit on the couch Taz is on my lap. As soon as I take the boxes off the couch he goes on it, when the boxes are on the couch he won't go on it.
They seem tough to break of this.
I've had to confine him to the kitchen now, he has chewed my ottoman and 4 dining room chairs. I hope things get better with age!!.
He's almost 10 months what a handful, he's chewing on bricks now?!?!. We give up.
So good luck with everything and any training you will need. Sorry, I didn't have some advice,
Just comments, I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Ollie is confined to our hallway that has a door to the main house area, but when we are home he has free roam, he only gets on the couch to get his backside scratched and then he's down, he prefer's the patch of wood by the back door or the dining/hall kitchen tile/wood floor. He could get on the couch if he wanted but 99percent of the time he is on that small patch of wood by the back door that's in the living room!

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Gunny is not allowed on our leather furniture. My wife put the "big no" on that one. I do lay on the floor with him a lot and so does my wife. He does however get up on the patio furniture (outside) and he loves it! He is only 5 1/2 months so it is funny to watch the "process" of him getting on those chairs. I will have to get a video of it sometime.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry no help here either, both our guys are big cuddlers, and love to sit beside us on the couch when we are watching TV or a movie. We have leather couch and loveseat so it's super easy to wipe clean. You can put a folded blanket or towel on the couch where he would sleep to control the hair, and then it could be washed.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Sorry no help here either, both our guys are big cuddlers, and love to sit beside us on the couch when we are watching TV or a movie. We have leather couch and loveseat so it's super easy to wipe clean. You can put a folded blanket or towel on the couch where he would sleep to control the hair, and then it could be washed.
I like the idea of a towel or blanket. I think it is more of my wife thinking Gunny will ruin leather (expensive) the couch. I will propose this idea to my wife. *wish me luck*

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Good luck. We have always had leather couches, for two reasons, one is I like the look, but when our kids were small, and even now with our grandson, you never have to worry about milk or juice stains, or any food for that matter, they wipe off beautifully, plus they are very durable, and wear nicely. Leather is a strong material and will last many years. A blanket, towel, or sleeping bag on the cushions where the dog would be allowed to sit or sleep will help protect the couch from scratches, or hair, and can be washed frequently to keep it clean. Also we make sure our guys nails are kept trimmed to avoid scratches. You can train them or allow them to only lay on the cushions with the blanket on it.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Oh good luck with that. Lol When we brought Daisy home I wanted to keep her off the couch. What was the first thing my BF did? Cuddled up with that tiny pup on the couch. Now if we tried to keep her off she would pretty much just laugh in our face. That devil does what she wants... lol Shes pretty good though. You just have to pick your battles lol!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My boys both absolutely hate tin foil. Even when I take it out in the kitchen they run away...

Tin foil?? Lol The only thing that would accomplish for me would be Brutus having shiny poops for a few days :eek:.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde is not allowed on the couch, or any furniture........but also has a comfy bed in every area where I am......he's so controlling of things lol, I draw the line at my furniture......:)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
We have very strict rules in our house. We are allowed on BOGEY'S COUCH whenever we want as long as he has a good space to stretch out, and only one of us at a time. If both Ed and I are on the couch, Bogey will pace back and forth OVER us until one of us moves. Then he snuggles down and lets the winner stay. We never break the couch rules. What can I say, he owns us!!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Interesting to hear about different practices!

Since I posted my question, things have developed here - Castor has grown (six months now) and can jump up on beds and couch quite easily.

My desk is next to our bed, and when I work from home and sit by the computer - but only then - Castor is allowed on the bed. So far, it has worked out very well; he actually seems to understand that he can only ask to go up onto the bed if I'm sitting there.

He's not allowed on the couch, so when we're not at home, we arrange the cushions so that he cannot get onto the couch (and we close the bedroom doors).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have very strict rules in our house. We are allowed on BOGEY'S COUCH whenever we want as long as he has a good space to stretch out, and only one of us at a time. If both Ed and I are on the couch, Bogey will pace back and forth OVER us until one of us moves. Then he snuggles down and lets the winner stay. We never break the couch rules. What can I say, he owns us!!

:rofl: you are well trained!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting to hear about different practices!

Since I posted my question, things have developed here - Castor has grown (six months now) and can jump up on beds and couch quite easily.

My desk is next to our bed, and when I work from home and sit by the computer - but only then - Castor is allowed on the bed. So far, it has worked out very well; he actually seems to understand that he can only ask to go up onto the bed if I'm sitting there.

He's not allowed on the couch, so when we're not at home, we arrange the cushions so that he cannot get onto the couch (and we close the bedroom doors).

Dogs are situational and adapt as such.... Train them on the rules and limitations with consistency and they do know the difference

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
When Stinky gets on the leather couch I put down a sheet, but when I don't want him up there I put a huge piece of card board.Same goes with the chairs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.