Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dog on the couch?!

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    We do that as well. Brutus seems to understand the difference. He will lay on the floor with a toy until we are done.
    Isn't that funny!!! Ruthie gets it too only she'll sit at my tray and give me those eyes. After we are done, she's back in her spot. So smart!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Our two boys are not allowed on the furniture. When they were pups we removed the couch to the bedroom where they're also not allowed to go.... I know...we're just plain cruel... Now that my older boy is almost 3, he doesn't even try to get on the couch. the younger one sometimes trys to get on when we're sitting on the couch, but naturally when his front paws leave the floor he's told down and that's it.
    If he's been on it he knows he can get on it. If I were you I would put something not so cosy on the couch when you're away...tin foil or another smaller furniture so he can't make himself cosy.
    Tin foil?? Lol The only thing that would accomplish for me would be Brutus having shiny poops for a few days .

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all your input! You're right, RiiSi, Castor definitely knows he's able to climb onto the couch... We did put things on it when we went out tonight so that is a solution, but when we're at home we'll need to start watching him and training him not to get up on the couch.

Another way to go would be to allow him on the couch through invitation only. I'm glad that several of you say that your dogs understand when they can be on the couch and when they cannot. Castor seems to be quite easy to train (well, has been up to now, at least!) so we might be able to do that. We'll see how things develop here.

Right now he's snoring, probably dreaming of the comfort of the couch!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Taz
    Likes (Received)

I had the same problem, as soon as I sit on the couch Taz is on my lap. As soon as I take the boxes off the couch he goes on it, when the boxes are on the couch he won't go on it.
    They seem tough to break of this.
    I've had to confine him to the kitchen now, he has chewed my ottoman and 4 dining room chairs. I hope things get better with age!!.
    He's almost 10 months what a handful, he's chewing on bricks now?!?!. We give up.
    So good luck with everything and any training you will need. Sorry, I didn't have some advice,
    Just comments, I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Ollie is confined to our hallway that has a door to the main house area, but when we are home he has free roam, he only gets on the couch to get his backside scratched and then he's down, he prefer's the patch of wood by the back door or the dining/hall kitchen tile/wood floor. He could get on the couch if he wanted but 99percent of the time he is on that small patch of wood by the back door that's in the living room!

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Highway
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Gunny is not allowed on our leather furniture. My wife put the "big no" on that one. I do lay on the floor with him a lot and so does my wife. He does however get up on the patio furniture (outside) and he loves it! He is only 5 1/2 months so it is funny to watch the "process" of him getting on those chairs. I will have to get a video of it sometime.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Sorry no help here either, both our guys are big cuddlers, and love to sit beside us on the couch when we are watching TV or a movie. We have leather couch and loveseat so it's super easy to wipe clean. You can put a folded blanket or towel on the couch where he would sleep to control the hair, and then it could be washed.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Highway
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Sorry no help here either, both our guys are big cuddlers, and love to sit beside us on the couch when we are watching TV or a movie. We have leather couch and loveseat so it's super easy to wipe clean. You can put a folded blanket or towel on the couch where he would sleep to control the hair, and then it could be washed.
    I like the idea of a towel or blanket. I think it is more of my wife thinking Gunny will ruin leather (expensive) the couch. I will propose this idea to my wife. *wish me luck*

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Good luck. We have always had leather couches, for two reasons, one is I like the look, but when our kids were small, and even now with our grandson, you never have to worry about milk or juice stains, or any food for that matter, they wipe off beautifully, plus they are very durable, and wear nicely. Leather is a strong material and will last many years. A blanket, towel, or sleeping bag on the cushions where the dog would be allowed to sit or sleep will help protect the couch from scratches, or hair, and can be washed frequently to keep it clean. Also we make sure our guys nails are kept trimmed to avoid scratches. You can train them or allow them to only lay on the cushions with the blanket on it.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Oh good luck with that. Lol When we brought Daisy home I wanted to keep her off the couch. What was the first thing my BF did? Cuddled up with that tiny pup on the couch. Now if we tried to keep her off she would pretty much just laugh in our face. That devil does what she wants... lol Shes pretty good though. You just have to pick your battles lol!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

My boys both absolutely hate tin foil. Even when I take it out in the kitchen they run away...

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Tin foil?? Lol The only thing that would accomplish for me would be Brutus having shiny poops for a few days .

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Forde is not allowed on the couch, or any furniture........but also has a comfy bed in every area where I am......he's so controlling of things lol, I draw the line at my furniture......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads