Another Biting (skin) Question

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
i guess that could be really hard to ignore lol.. That's how we potty trained Zeus ..when he went threw the bighter stage it kind of freaked me out I was scared he would continue to do it as he got older imagine if they bite as adults that can be really scary. But it went away. I think I used the stern no and put him in his crate or stopped playing with him.

When did it go away out of curiosity?

Rocco gets into "bite mode" at night time. When we want to bring him on the couch to lay down and watch tv or something all he wants to do is bite hands. Giving him toys distracts him for about 4 seconds then attacking my hands again. Say No!, he continues, I put him down, he goes after my feet. I put him in the kitchen where he is gated in, he'll either find a toy, cry to get back in the living room, or take a nap but when i bring him back in the living room, same old. The only time he's good and calm is when he is exhausted. Those times where you can just pick him up and put him anywhere and he will immediately fall back asleep. I'm relieved to see others experiencing the same thing though as I know I don't have the only naughty bully pup in the world lol

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)

Rocco gets into "bite mode" at night time. When we want to bring him on the couch to lay down and watch tv or something all he wants to do is bite hands. Giving him toys distracts him for about 4 seconds then attacking my hands again. Say No!, he continues, I put him down, he goes after my feet. I put him in the kitchen where he is gated in, he'll either find a toy, cry to get back in the living room, or take a nap but when i bring him back in the living room, same old. The only time he's good and calm is when he is exhausted. Those times where you can just pick him up and put him anywhere and he will immediately fall back asleep. I'm relieved to see others experiencing the same thing though as I know I don't have the only naughty bully pup in the world lol

Welcome in the puppyhood !
They usually calm down and "ease off" once thir adult teeth come out
What you are doing is right ,keep at it ;-)

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Welcome in the puppyhood !
They usually calm down and "ease off" once thir adult teeth come out
What you are doing is right ,keep at it ;-)

Well he just lost tooth number 1 so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! lol I'll keep at it for sure!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Thats a start , i think shark stage is worse than potty training ;-))
Lily didn't bite as hard as Shy my deaf dog did-i looked like i had a scrap with a cat or alligator ;-))

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Same thing going on at our house with June. She would much rather chew on hands and feet than her toys. When we try to redirect her to a toy, she thinks we're trying to play more and wants to attack the hand with the toy. We put her in her crate when she gets too crazy, and she'll usually fall asleep. But when we take her out she's right back at it! She has lost 1 tooth so far so hopefully seeing some light at the end of the tunnel too :)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I can only respond to this as to what my experience is. When Brutus gets in the "attack mode" there is no stopping him. My son actually tried to GENTLY bite him back. Well Brutus took this as a challenge and it was game on! I have found that he will mostly do this out of control biting when he is tired, so in he goes for a nap and he comes out like a new dog. He is never put into his crate harshly or being yelled at or anything like that. Brutus just sometimes needs a "time out". It could be a 5-10 min. break or he could take a nice nap. It is entirely up to him. But this is the only thing we have found to work when he is crazy.

I could have written this! We tried EVERYTHING to curb the biting and the ONLY thing that worked was a time out in his crate. It was done calmly, but firmly. Yes, he struggled and tried biting all the way into the "cell" but once in the door was shut, and we retreated out of the room, to let him sulk on his own. He usually fell asleep with nano seconds, so it told me he was tired which contributed to his frenzy. To this day, all I have to do is put my hand on his x-pen ( we don't use the crate any longer) and it stops him DEAD in his tracks. Its actually amazing! We never use the xpen, but I leave it folded in the living room for the scare tactic. Bogey HATED being isolated from us and this was a miracle. He is now 11 months old and we very seldom have a problem.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Isn't it amazing how similar they all are? They may look different but they sure act the same.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Yesterday doggy day care said Baxter bit an adult english bulldogs face to the point that it was bleeding.

They were playing and rough housing. They had to wash the adult dogs face to get the blood off.

That was upsetting. But they say they're going to start training him.

They spray him with water, and separate him to an empty room until he calms down now. Hopefully this will work.

Baxter is really really good about not biting me anymore when he's just chilling.

I let out an "OUCH!" really loud several thousand times, and now he only "gums" me kindly.

Never bites me anymore. Im happy about that, but I want him to behave with dogs and strangers.

When he gets excited (during greetings) or with other dogs during rough play ... he bites.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus

Maybe 4months. My husband kept saying he was teething. My girls would run by he would catch their dress or tights and tear them. He still looked small so I'm sure it wasn't at 6months since he was huge

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I'm still experiencing bite mode with Agnes at 9 months, but like some others, she only does it when I'm ready for bed and she's either really tired but doesn't want to give in to sleep or not tired enough. I do crate time outs. I've tried everything else and nothing works on her when she gets in that crazy mode.

fastmatt613

Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Maybe 4months. My husband kept saying he was teething. My girls would run by he would catch their dress or tights and tear them. He still looked small so I'm sure it wasn't at 6months since he was huge

Good to know. Thanks! Rocco is 3 and a half months now. Oddly enough, tonight is the first night he was able to jump on the couch by himself AND, he can't get enough of his nylabone tonight. So I was alarmed but now ecstatic! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
We used to try the no bite or no and sometimes that would work if he kept going or took it to far we would roll him to his back until he calmed down and used a calming tone explaining that he can't bite.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie gets over excited at times too. The No!, toy redirection etc works sometimes but not always. Spray bottle just gets her wet ...doesn't stop her behavior. Loud noises sometimes startle her out of the behavior for a sec n I try to use that sec to redirect. When I can't stop her, I crate her for about 5-10 min so she can calm down. It's really hard sometimes to get her to stop. The windows of opportunity are very small so I have to be very quick w my responses. It's hard to stay calm too as getting bitten or trying to get her to stop nipping at my 8 yo while he is squealing w mixture of delight and fear is difficult. It def takes a lot of Positive reinforcement and consistency along w patience..lots of deep breaths too...lol

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Already have asked this 15 different ways but somehow this question seems different lol ...

So when you're playing with your puppy, say for example, in your lap.
And he starts to get aggressive.
Takes a bite of your hand.
What is your *first* response?

Note: This is different from an initial bite, where I often can "Yelp" or "Ouch!" really loud and he stops, kisses, or gummies up my hand in response.

This is when he's gotten on a little "kick" where he's just going to bite, then bite again, then bite again ...

I have tried the following:

* No! - he ignores and goes to bite again again.
* No! with finger pointed (he just bites at the finger)
* The Cesar Millan way - a bit of a "press" down on the back of the neck to suppress him a bit, require submission (very gentle) - he bounces back and bites immediately again.
* Even tried growling and saying no.... hes like "dude, you're not a dog" ... *bite*
* Assume you don't have a toy to stick in his mouth ....
* No! and tapping on the mouth (obviously worst option, immediately snaps back to bite harder)

The issue here is when they get into a mode of bite, bite again, bite again. When you react negatively.

I haven't found anything that he responds submissively to once he gets in this mindset.

Need a trick which will put him into submissive pose immediately to stop the behavior.

English Bulldogs definitely are dominant dogs.

Thanks.

Ugh! lol this is still my problem. Daisy is 6 months now and I am her favorite chew toy. And she's a lil mean about it. And there is no getting away from her. I crate her and it doesnt help. I am hoping she just grows out of it. I still try the "yip", a loud no, get up and move... Nothing deters her. Sorry I cant be more help. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Things are much much better. [MENTION=8883]Sheena[/MENTION]

What I have done is (and we're talking 1,000+ times) let out a fairly loud "OUCH!" it even echoes in my house. Then I pull away. Or Ill make a whimpering sound afterwards.

The loudness startles him and I think he realizes he hurts me. He then immediately comes back and starts "gumming" me ... which is really sweet. I love how there's an immediate apology and awareness and change.

But I had a friend come over and told her to do the same thing. She wasn't anywhere near as loud. Just said "ouch!" versus "OUCH!!!" ... and he kept biting.

In any case, he has almost stopped biting me completely. Only one or two stray ones, and he always gets a very loud OUCH!!! if it happens. It really is an issue of doing it over, and over... and over .. and over ... and over ... and over .... and over ...

... and over ... and over ... and over ... and...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.