Another Biting (skin) Question

B

Baxter Tiberius

Already have asked this 15 different ways but somehow this question seems different lol ...

So when you're playing with your puppy, say for example, in your lap.
And he starts to get aggressive.
Takes a bite of your hand.
What is your *first* response?

Note: This is different from an initial bite, where I often can "Yelp" or "Ouch!" really loud and he stops, kisses, or gummies up my hand in response.

This is when he's gotten on a little "kick" where he's just going to bite, then bite again, then bite again ...

I have tried the following:

* No! - he ignores and goes to bite again again.
* No! with finger pointed (he just bites at the finger)
* The Cesar Millan way - a bit of a "press" down on the back of the neck to suppress him a bit, require submission (very gentle) - he bounces back and bites immediately again.
* Even tried growling and saying no.... hes like "dude, you're not a dog" ... *bite*
* Assume you don't have a toy to stick in his mouth ....
* No! and tapping on the mouth (obviously worst option, immediately snaps back to bite harder)

The issue here is when they get into a mode of bite, bite again, bite again. When you react negatively.

I haven't found anything that he responds submissively to once he gets in this mindset.

Need a trick which will put him into submissive pose immediately to stop the behavior.

English Bulldogs definitely are dominant dogs.

Thanks.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I assume he just gets overexcited therefore bites faster and harder ,i would say no!,and put him on the floor and ignore him for a little wile , then start again ,keep a toy handy to redirect him from biting your hands
(Sorry i dont really follow Cesar way of training i believe in positive reinforcement ;-))

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have used a spray bottle with just water for behavior modification and gotten pretty good results with that, like Pati though I believe in positive reinforcement I reserve the spray bottle for behavior that is extreme and when they stop I tell Sheldon he is such a good boy and I pet and praise him like he is the King

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree, my son had this problem-nothing seemed to work for him-and he has Little dogs! I suggested the spray bottle and that worked. For mine, I have always had a toy handy(they're all over the house!) and I say "NO BITE, here bite THIS" and stick the toy(they love the flexible nylabones)in the mouth.That has always worked here.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does this when she goes in to her nightly spaz mode. We try several things sometimes they work other times they don't. We will start with continuing to redirect to one of her toys. Then we have found that for some reason she responds decently when we keep doing sssshhhhhh while gently petting her and she usually calms down. If that doesn't work we then take her outside and let her run it off then she will come back inside and plop down on the cool floor and go back to chewing on her toys. I know that one probably won't work for you as you live in a high rise though. For the worst cases of extreme biting we will put her in timeout in her large play pen for 10 minutes or until she calms down.

We tried the whole spray bottle thing and it worked once as she loves the water and thinks we are playing when we squirted her with it. Other options would be to stop all play and ignore the until they calm down but that could be really tough if they are intently in the mood. Persistence and consistency in whatever ypu choose is a must.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]... we use the toy distraction, and if that doesn't work we just ignore him. I believe in positive reinforcement too... Dogs can lose trust in somebody so fast. I would NEVER want to have that as an issue in my home.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I would say grab him and put him down ignore him don't talk to him for a few min then pick him up and do this again if he continues biting.. I did this with Zeus when he was a pup. Worked for potty training too. Don't even say no just put him down, outside or anywhere that he won't get any attention.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I agree, my son had this problem-nothing seemed to work for him-and he has Little dogs! I suggested the spray bottle and that worked. For mine, I have always had a toy handy(they're all over the house!) and I say "NO BITE, here bite THIS" and stick the toy(they love the flexible nylabones)in the mouth.That has always worked here.

Sheldon LOVES the purple and green ones! That's what we used with him redirection worked well for Sheldon after we got the purple and green Nylabones

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ok I will tell you what I have done and still do in situations where Ace is not complying, not just biting but in doing some other form of no no's like having an object he has picked up and doesn't want to surrender a shoe or sock for example and wants to run with it and play chase or tug with something he shouldn't have. I escalate beyond a simple stern NO to a very loud and angry sounding NO. Feigning like I am really angry and pissed off. He will usually quit the behavior or surrender the object at hand. I use the normal no or stern no but when that doesn't work I act as if I am really angry and say NO in a very angry voice. It works with Ace. After that he is usually very subdued and usually wants some loving reassurance and touching which I provide. Take it or leave it [the suggestion ] it may or may not work with your dog but it works with Ace.

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
I would say grab him and put him down ignore him don't talk to him for a few min then pick him up and do this again if he continues biting.. I did this with Zeus when he was a pup. Worked for potty training too. Don't even say no just put him down, outside or anywhere that he won't get any attention.

I keep reading about people saying "ignore him". But when they are in that zone there is no ignoring him! He's coming at you and he's biting. He's not stopping. You turn around and he bites your ankles. You pick him up and put him somewhere else, and he's biting your hands or arms while you are carrying him and then charges once he's put down.

Toy redirection can sometimes work but often times he immediately puts it down and charges again in full growl and bite mode. Screaming OUCH doesn't stop it, nothing stops it.

We put him in his crate when he goes into those modes now and let him calm down before he can come out.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I can only respond to this as to what my experience is. When Brutus gets in the "attack mode" there is no stopping him. My son actually tried to GENTLY bite him back. Well Brutus took this as a challenge and it was game on! I have found that he will mostly do this out of control biting when he is tired, so in he goes for a nap and he comes out like a new dog. He is never put into his crate harshly or being yelled at or anything like that. Brutus just sometimes needs a "time out". It could be a 5-10 min. break or he could take a nice nap. It is entirely up to him. But this is the only thing we have found to work when he is crazy.

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
I can only respond to this as to what my experience is. When Brutus gets in the "attack mode" there is no stopping him. My son actually tried to GENTLY bite him back. Well Brutus took this as a challenge and it was game on! I have found that he will mostly do this out of control biting when he is tired, so in he goes for a nap and he comes out like a new dog. He is never put into his crate harshly or being yelled at or anything like that. Brutus just sometimes needs a "time out". It could be a 5-10 min. break or he could take a nice nap. It is entirely up to him. But this is the only thing we have found to work when he is crazy.

We are doing this too. Does he throw a temper tantrum once he's in the crate for a little bit, and eventually settle? That's what Butter does, but he puts up a good fight about it.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He usually knows he is being obnoxious and will settle right away. Isn't it funny how similar they all act?? This is what I love about this site the most. We can all relate to what the other is going through.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I'm so glad this thread is here.
Winslow throws epic tantrums once or twice a day and I can do nothing but put him in timeout. That's where the task lies though, as he flops onto his back snapping at whatever he can get. It is not fun or easy to deal with (i actually do wonder if this is cause for concern), and I hope you get through this stage with Butter earlier than we're dealing with.. he's coming to 7 months now.

Keep at it, he will get it!

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I keep reading about people saying "ignore him". But when they are in that zone there is no ignoring him! He's coming at you and he's biting. He's not stopping. You turn around and he bites your ankles. You pick him up and put him somewhere else, and he's biting your hands or arms while you are carrying him and then charges once he's put down.

Toy redirection can sometimes work but often times he immediately puts it down and charges again in full growl and bite mode. Screaming OUCH doesn't stop it, nothing stops it.

We put him in his crate when he goes into those modes now and let him calm down before he can come out.

i guess that could be really hard to ignore lol.. That's how we potty trained Zeus ..when he went threw the bighter stage it kind of freaked me out I was scared he would continue to do it as he got older imagine if they bite as adults that can be really scary. But it went away. I think I used the stern no and put him in his crate or stopped playing with him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.