Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Biting (skin) Question

Real Name
    Theresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Biting (skin) Question

I'm still experiencing bite mode with Agnes at 9 months, but like some others, she only does it when I'm ready for bed and she's either really tired but doesn't want to give in to sleep or not tired enough. I do crate time outs. I've tried everything else and nothing works on her when she gets in that crazy mode.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCsmommy View Post
    Maybe 4months. My husband kept saying he was teething. My girls would run by he would catch their dress or tights and tear them. He still looked small so I'm sure it wasn't at 6months since he was huge
    Good to know. Thanks! Rocco is 3 and a half months now. Oddly enough, tonight is the first night he was able to jump on the couch by himself AND, he can't get enough of his nylabone tonight. So I was alarmed but now ecstatic! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

We used to try the no bite or no and sometimes that would work if he kept going or took it to far we would roll him to his back until he calmed down and used a calming tone explaining that he can't bite.
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Brie gets over excited at times too. The No!, toy redirection etc works sometimes but not always. Spray bottle just gets her wet ...doesn't stop her behavior. Loud noises sometimes startle her out of the behavior for a sec n I try to use that sec to redirect. When I can't stop her, I crate her for about 5-10 min so she can calm down. It's really hard sometimes to get her to stop. The windows of opportunity are very small so I have to be very quick w my responses. It's hard to stay calm too as getting bitten or trying to get her to stop nipping at my 8 yo while he is squealing w mixture of delight and fear is difficult. It def takes a lot of Positive reinforcement and consistency along w patience..lots of deep breaths too...lol

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Already have asked this 15 different ways but somehow this question seems different lol ...

So when you're playing with your puppy, say for example, in your lap.
    And he starts to get aggressive.
    Takes a bite of your hand.
    What is your *first* response?

Note: This is different from an initial bite, where I often can "Yelp" or "Ouch!" really loud and he stops, kisses, or gummies up my hand in response.

This is when he's gotten on a little "kick" where he's just going to bite, then bite again, then bite again ...

I have tried the following:

* No! - he ignores and goes to bite again again.
    * No! with finger pointed (he just bites at the finger)
    * The Cesar Millan way - a bit of a "press" down on the back of the neck to suppress him a bit, require submission (very gentle) - he bounces back and bites immediately again.
    * Even tried growling and saying no.... hes like "dude, you're not a dog" ... *bite*
    * Assume you don't have a toy to stick in his mouth ....
    * No! and tapping on the mouth (obviously worst option, immediately snaps back to bite harder)

The issue here is when they get into a mode of bite, bite again, bite again. When you react negatively.

I haven't found anything that he responds submissively to once he gets in this mindset.

Need a trick which will put him into submissive pose immediately to stop the behavior.

English Bulldogs definitely are dominant dogs.

Thanks.

Ugh! lol this is still my problem. Daisy is 6 months now and I am her favorite chew toy. And she's a lil mean about it. And there is no getting away from her. I crate her and it doesnt help. I am hoping she just grows out of it. I still try the "yip", a loud no, get up and move... Nothing deters her. Sorry I cant be more help. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!

Baxter Tiberius

Things are much much better. @Sheena

What I have done is (and we're talking 1,000+ times) let out a fairly loud "OUCH!" it even echoes in my house. Then I pull away. Or Ill make a whimpering sound afterwards.

The loudness startles him and I think he realizes he hurts me. He then immediately comes back and starts "gumming" me ... which is really sweet. I love how there's an immediate apology and awareness and change.

But I had a friend come over and told her to do the same thing. She wasn't anywhere near as loud. Just said "ouch!" versus "OUCH!!!" ... and he kept biting.

In any case, he has almost stopped biting me completely. Only one or two stray ones, and he always gets a very loud OUCH!!! if it happens. It really is an issue of doing it over, and over... and over .. and over ... and over ... and over .... and over ...

... and over ... and over ... and over ... and...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads